PC not Utilizing RAM

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by xxsisyphusxx, May 20, 2014.

1. xxsisyphusxx

xxsisyphusxx MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    Hello,

It's rare for me to find a topic that is not covered on MDL having to do with PCs, but this seems to be one.

I think the specifications that matter here are: 32GB RAM in 4 x 8GB sticks, dual channel. Windows 8.1 Pro operating system. HDDs, 2 x 2TB no RAID. No SSD.

I don't have a page file. Oddly enough, when I got rid of my swap a few days ago, the amount of RAM went DOWN. It was sitting at about 4GB-4.2GB, and now the highest it goes is around 3.8GB.

I'm sure triple channel would make the RAM utilized better, but of course that isn't an option.

I searched around on MDL for some tips on how to get my OS to better utilize the RAM I have, but nothing came up. :confused:

The computer takes about 5 mins or so to fully boot up, which certainly isn't a problem since I rarely need to reboot. However, general operation of the PC is not as fast as it could be. Starting up a Firefox session takes about 10 seconds. Loading up other programs takes about the same amount of time. My old computer build, which was an ancient 3.2Ghz Pentium D loaded much faster.

How can I go about forcing my OS to use more RAM? Is the sluggish performance really just the result of using an HDD for my C: drive?

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    That is definitely NOT normal. I've never had any ram issues with win8.x
    Are you using x64 OS?

Have you tried resetting bios settings to their default settings and re-configuring from there after testing?

Can you try using 2 sticks and see if the ram usage goes up?
    Does your motherboard list your system as compatible with 32GB of ram? If it doesn't support that much, it could be a problem.

3. xxsisyphusxx

xxsisyphusxx MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    Hey, Murphy78! I believe I'm using your Windows 8.1 Pro. :cool:

It is a 64-bit, i5-3570K machine. Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit operating system. (Thanks BTW)

The BIOS settings should be default. What setting(s) in particular do you think might be an issue? I will try restoring to default and let you know what happens.

I need to go to bed soon, but yes I can certainly try that. Should I put the RAM in slots A1 and B1 or in A1 and A2? If I only had two sticks I would be putting one in each channel, but since this is diagnostics I'm not sure which configuration you'd want me to do.

From what I've read in the manual it should. It is an ASUS P8 Z77-V PRO.

EDIT Here is a link:

hxxp://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/ASUS%20P8Z77-V%20Motherboard%20Manual.pdf

4. eydee

eydee Guest

The problem can be you using a HDD for the system drive. The symptoms actually suggest you're using some 200MB HDD from 1995. How did you manage to fit windows 8 on it?

Tip: Check out the IDE/SATA controller settings. Are all of them running in DMA mode?
    Tip: Run a HDD speed test using AIDA64. That will show you if it's extremely slow.

5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Why did you even buy 32GB RAM to begin with?

You would have been much better off with with 2x8GB+SSD (the ssd will make a big difference, the additional 16GB of ram will not)

If the OS doesn't need to use more ram, it won't use more RAM, it's likely you simply don't use enough Programs at the same time to make use of your RAM.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    +1 to that... is exactly how I upgraded.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. xxsisyphusxx

xxsisyphusxx MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    I assume that's a joke? It's easy. You just create a singularity on the HDD and then you can store billions of gigabytes of data in an area on the HDD that would normally occupy a single KB. My electric bill is off the charts though from maintaining the nuclear reactor needed for powering the singularity. So you can see why it is so important I figure this out.

Anyway...

I performed an HDD speed test with an ISO file of Windows 7 Ultimate AIO. Here are the results:

Read: 147.6 MByte/sec
    Write: 103.8 MByte/sec

It is a Seagate 2TB and I believe it is 7,500 RPM.

According to this link:

hxxp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-direct-memory-access-on-off#1TC=windows-7

...I should be seeing more than two items under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, but I do not. Device Manager.jpg

:eek:

Specifically I am referring to this part of the tutorial I linked to you: "Under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, for each item that has the word Channel as part of its label, right-click the item, and then click Properties."

As you can see from the capture, there is not "item that has the word Channel as part of its label..." So... yeah. Very easily may be having problems with DMA.

And before I forget; thank you MDL'ers. I appreciate the input. :smile3:

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    How you set the HDD's in BIOS:
    • IDE
    • RAID
    • AHCI
    That will have an effect on the speed as well. Normally you should set the HDD's to AHCI Mode! Also what file system you're using: NTFS, or what?

By the way, Seagate HDD's are more slow than WD, Hitachi etc., not from the specification but the real Write/Read speed!

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #12 pisthai, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
    Seagate just produce the Reading/Writing Heads for HDD's in Thailand. The manufacturing of complete HDD's are moved out some time already. Hitachi and WD are producing drives in Thailand.

Maybe it's a bit difficult to compare Germany etc. with Thailand because of the normal temperature which is even with Air conditioners running min. above 25°C and at this very moment on 21:49H the temperature is 33°C!

All that could also have an effect on any HDD regarding Temp, Noise and speed!

Oops, you're in Downunder and not in Germany, even your Member name is german! Anyway, what's the normal temperature at your place?

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just checked on the AMD-Server about the difference from the temperature shown by Apps and real Temperature Meter: the apps shows mainly 7°C less that the Meter!!

Again, what matters for me is the real write/read speed and that we using different kind of files and comparinmg the real used time eith the sdame Computer and the same apps.

12. green[mile]

green[mile] MDL Novice

May 20, 2014
    If "file indexing" is not enabled, would that have much affect on drive performance?

13. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    #15 TONSCHUH, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
    I moved in 2008 to Australia.

My Room-Temp's are around 35-40C in Summer without running the AirCon, as our House is not insulated.

Last night is was still around 28C.

I understand that we will be not able to compare our results 1:1.

:)

14. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Not really, no.
    There was a timing issue back in Vista where each index operation would wait for service to properly execute pending items, and hence began
    the time-held belief that people should disable the indexing service, but the truth is that the problem hasn't existing since shortly after vista came out.
    indexing has little effect on drive performance. I'd say it's near nil.

15. xxsisyphusxx

xxsisyphusxx MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    When I bought my CPU, there was a sale on RAM half off. So I had only paid for 16GB.

I plan on buying an SSD as soon as I have the cash for it..

How am I supposed to check for DMA, considering that the option I'm supposed to be using is not listed?

hxxp://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/turn-direct-memory-access-on-off#1TC=windows-7

16. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    DMA is old tech for PATA drives.
    I doubt your newer system even supports PATA.