PC rebuild suggestions wanted

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by IGraham, Jan 4, 2013.

1. IGraham

IGraham MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    Hello
    Its been a couple of years since I built my present desktop and as the CPU fan is starting to get a little noisy and its almost Spring (when a man's thoughts turn to 'PC upgrade') I'm thinking of what MB/MB Bundle I should be looking at.
    However I haven't really kept up with what's good/bad/indifferent regards all that shiny new tech so I'm a bit lost as to what to get - I'm hopping one of you lot is 'all knowing'.
    I do know that my inclination to be mesmerised by the latest 'cutting edge' and to hell with the cost seems to be diminished - must be getting old

A few points - in no significant order
    I don't really need high power or cutting edge as I don't run high end games or do anything particularly demanding. I do need something that will run W764, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Elements, fair sized spreadsheets, watch movies etc.
    All my files are stored on my NAS - if that makes any difference
    I'm hopping for a good amount of SATA3 and USB3
    Would like something quiet with a low watt demand - a (cheap) quiet power supply would be nice
    On board graphics ? Or they good enough or do I still need need a graphics card and fan
    I'll be reusing my SSD and DVD drive and such like
    Prefer AMD
    I do like building my own

Any suggestions anyone, maybe pointers to reasonable bundles

2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. IGraham

IGraham MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    Hello Miki
    Thanks for the reply

I'd suspected that on board graphics might by now be good enough, thanks for the confirmation
    The Quiet PC link thanks - forgotten about them

Anyone else got any useful info ?

4. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    If you are going to be watching movies .. It comes to 1) at the high end Blue ray , Hd content 2) and whether you are asking the machine to stream HD content .. If either one of these is true then you are going to have to see if onboard graphics is up for the task ..

5. bolthead

bolthead MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2007
    I hear what you are saying but I recently upgraded my HTPC using a AMD Llano A6-3650 2.60GHz Socket FM1 (with integrated graphics) in a Asrock A75M-HVS board and have to say the 1080p video is flawless on a 50” LG TV. The combination turned out to be a nice budget solution.

6. IGraham

IGraham MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    Hello again

Finally decided on a Asus F2A85-M and AMD APU A8 5600K (A10 would be nice but pushing my budget a bit)

What I'm stuck on now is Memory (lol) am getting increasingly lost in the plethora of available memory
    As I said previously my computing needs are nothing special just browsing, spreadsheets, music, movies, Adobe Elements, Dreamweaver, as for games I'm still playing Age of Empires 3
    So I reckon 2x4GB (8GB) is quite ok
    There is the compatibility issue - can I assume that any DDR3 will work ?
    Price wise for petty much the same cost you can choose from 1333MHz to 2133MHz

Can anyone who knows something about memory give some advice please
    Would these all work ok and given the low cost difference is there any point in not getting the higher spec

Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz i5 £33.92
    Kingston 8GB 1866MHz DDR3 XMP HyperX Predator Memory £41.99
    Kingston 8GB HyperX DDR3 2133MHz XMP Beast Series £43

--
    had to remove the links as i dont have enough posts to allow me to use links, but they all came from ebuyer

7. bolthead

bolthead MDL Novice

Apr 27, 2007
  8. IGraham

IGraham MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    Hello bolthead

Thanks for the reply and link
    Apology for the delay in replying was partially down to waiting to see if anyone else had any info - not :(

Was all set to order memory when you stuck a spanner in the works, that YouTube video, which goes on about 'AMP' memory
    Now I'm thinking I should be buying memory that supports AMP - which ordinary memory doesn't ? I think
    How on earth do I find AMP memory ? Life used to be so simple

9. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
  10. IGraham

IGraham MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    thanks for the replys
    I'm going to get the Kingston 8GB HyperX DDR3 2133MHz XMP Beast Series, would have been nice to have sorted out if AMP was supported in that memory or not, maybe some time in the future

and that concludes the help needed for my PC rebuild, thank you for your input

11. IGraham

IGraham MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2010
    bolthead
    You are the man
    You caught me just as i was girding the loins in preparation to 'spend the money'
    i purchased the Patriot memory you pointed me at - so i will have AMP after all :rolleyes:
    thanks for your efforts