PC restarting every 3 seconds over and over again

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by runfun, Jun 21, 2017.

1. runfun

runfun MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2017
    Days before issue happened I started to see a black screen for 1 second or less at the first and the default hidden files suddenly shown every where thats after I installed a s**tty program called MAcfee internet security 2017
    Then suddenly a screen tells me that my PC ran into a problem and needs to restart after this its keeping restarting (power LED turned off and then on again and sound of fans stopped and heard again) when power LED is on the PC works for just 3 or 4 seconds so I cant install a new windows or do anything so I replaced the HDD with another one everything work fine but when I connect the both hard disks I cant see It like its not connected
    I think its a virus but I cant do anything!

I use Windows 8.1 64 enterprise on both
    both HDDs are seagate but not exactly the same
    motherboard:ASrock B85M
    both HDDs are SATA

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    When both are connected check disk management whether the second is shown there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. runfun

runfun MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2017
    I cant see it in disk management

4. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    So you are up and running, right?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Look in your bios to see if it recognized there, if it isn't then windows will never see the drive. Usually if the bios won't see the drive, it might doa. If the bios does recognize this drive, then the file system may be unrecognizable in windows.

7. runfun

runfun MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2017
    I forget to tell u that I put a EDIFIER speaker R88 beside the computer case about 10 centimeters distance :(

8. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
  9. runfun

runfun MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2017
    John Sutherland :):) man I really appreciate your help but after I installed some windows updates for the working HDD now I can see the other HDD :yeahyeah: I dont know how is this could happen!
    Now what I should do ? just make a FULL scan for both HDDs with kaspersky ? I think its infected but the HDD that is not working I had installed MCafee internet security
    on it so can I still scan It with Kaspersky IS from the other HDD without no problems ?

10. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Hello @ runfun - Glad to see that the hard drive is now being recognized by Windows on your other disk. That's a good sign. If you're still concerned about it being infected, then by all means scan it using Kaspersky. That will either confirm or deny that the problem is somehow virus-related. it wouldn't be a bad idea to install Malwarebytes and scan the problem disk as well.

You can also run chkdsk from the other Windows disk to see if there is any problem with the NTFS filesystem being corrupted. Go into Disk Management and take note of the drive letter assigned to the Windows system partition on the problem disk. Then run chkdsk from an elevated Command Prompt and enter the assigned drive letter. Example: chkdsk g:
    Entering only the drive letter will run chkdsk in read-only mode. If it reports any problems with the filesystem, then run chkdsk again using the /f switch in order to repair the filesystem. Example: chkdsk /f g:
    NOTE: Running chkdsk using the /r switch instead of the /f switch is more thorough, but takes considerably longer since it scans every sector on the disk, attempts to recover any data found on bad sectors, and then repairs the filesystem. It's up to you whether you want to take the extra time. Using the /r option on a 500GB hard drive might take 2.5-3 hours. Example: chkdsk /r g:

If both of these things check out as OK, then try booting from the problem disk. If it still fails to boot, try the procedure I outlined in my previous post.

Also, just to be 100% sure about the condition of the disk itself, try using Seatools. I have similar software for my WD and Hitachi hard drives, and test them once every six months or so to check for any problems and give me peace of mind about using them.

11. runfun

runfun MDL Novice

Jun 20, 2017
    I did a full scan by Kaspersky and nothing were found.
    I didn't use the command prompt before so I did the following to the problem HDD: right click on disk G where the windows is --> properties --> tools --> error check and I made a scan and the result is no error were found.
    I just have two questions is that error check I did is the same as the chkdsk that you told me to do ?
    I think now the only way to use that hdd is formatting the windows disk G then install a fresh windows copy right? and would it be enough to format the problem windows disk using right click --> format ?

12. Just a shot in the dark bud but i`m wondering if somehow the MBR on your original drive somehow ended up getting corrupted creating boot loop effect, I`ve seen this before and it`s actually happened to me, If so windows built in recovery tool should be able to repair the corrupt MBR. There are tools out there that will allow you to boot from usb and do the repairs to the MBR to recover your original drive, i believe that is what i did but it`s been a long time since i had to do that.