PC Slow After Windows 10 Creators Update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by cdavisdeco, Aug 1, 2017.

1. cdavisdeco

cdavisdeco MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2015
    #1 cdavisdeco, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    On 7/29/2017 I was prompted to update to the Windows 10 Creators Update - 10.0.15063 · VERSION 1703. It was 6.22GB in size and took about an hour and a half to complete.

Now everything is lagging. Sometimes I can't even open the start menu. That's most notable thing. Everything hangs up when start menu pops. Sometimes mouse pointer gets stuck. Resource usage is also high. Take longer to boot.

Looking at a Google search it seems that I'm not the only one. I've tried several things but no luck.
    I was stupid enough to believe Microsoft and deleted the previous version as soon as I upgraded, so I can't rollback to Anniversary Update.

My PC was fine before this update. Updates suppose to be improvements, not like this. Very disappointed. Any fix here?

2. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    My take is the update is still taking place live, likely windows is still doing file migrates and checkups sort of operations like that using alot system resources on the back. 1703 on a fresh install is smooth as Anniversary but a version upgrade is huge, usually long process. I would leave it for an hour or two to let it finish up work and restart PC try again.

You sure you can't rollback? There should be a built-in option in the Settings app although i never did OS upgrade path only fresh installs so i can't be sure.

3. cdavisdeco

Jul 8, 2015
    #3 cdavisdeco, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    (OP)
    @vuze4u
    I can bear the time it took to update. But the outcome is not pleasant. Yes, there's a built tin option to rollback. But I did a disk cleanup and deleted the previous version so that won't work.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If you had an older version, then you need to install 10.0.15063 version 1703 (clean installation) and not use the Windows Update System.
    There has been a lot of talk about it and Windows also recommended doing a clean installation because it is not a typical/usual update.
    It's good if starts at all, many computers did not start at all if to use Windows upgrade system or started, but then everything stopped, was black screen and white points only.
    Save Your files and make a new clean installation. That is the only solutions, what helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cdavisdeco

Jul 8, 2015
    @kaljukass
    I had 10.0.14393.1532. It'd better be once in a while like this. Otherwise we'll have to do all over again every time they release a major update.
    Let's see what others have to say. If nothing else works I'll have to take your advice.

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Of course you may try everything, but all has been tried already. Including myself I tried on four different computers.
    In addition, Microsoft made one special update, since on some computers this version did not start properly even after a clean installation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. cdavisdeco

Jul 8, 2015
    This is why I didn't do a clean install right a way. Because I'm currently on a limited data plan. So I have to decide whether to download 10.0.15063 - VERSION 1703 or 10.0.14393 - VERSION 1607.

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I would not go back, there's no reason.
    Currently have here one Dell, one Asus and one Lenovo ThinkPad. Everyone is working properly. No problem, all were installed already on 19th of March, it means on the third day after release.