Pc won't boot when GPU is plugged in PCIe and restarts

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Pr3acher, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Pr3acher

Pr3acher MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012
    #1 Pr3acher, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    Hi, i have a problem with my GPU, one day i was goin playing MW3, so i click the icon on my desktop (W8) and it doesn't start. So i though it was a bug, i shut down and go bed. When i wake up,i start pc and it restarted 3 or 4 times without booting and no bips, even not till Windows load screen. Though the CPU fan is spinning, and gpu is heating. Usually my mobo does a short bip and the pc start correctly, when i plugg it it doesnt do it.Then i unplugged the GPU and start the pc with VGA integrated graph chipset. It works correctly, but i can no longer play my games :( .

So i want to know what is the problem first before changing anything in my config. I even don't know if my GPU is off.

For me, the problem can be:

-PSU (300w)
    -GPU (old 8600 GTS)
    -PCIe slot of my mobo which could be out (genuine acer)

here i post my spec if it can help you:

Windows 8 x86 Pro WMC
    Nvidia 8600 GTS 256 Mb (now out of the pc since i'm connected on mobo integrated chip)
    Intel Core 2 duo @3Ghz
    Mobo: acer EQ35M
    Bios: AMI
    PSU: Old one delivering 300w
    2*1 Gb ddr2

Things i've already tried to solve this problem:

-I swapped my GPU with an old one, it was quite the same issue
    -Change PSU with a 500 w one, same issue
    -reset bios with stack, same issue

Thanks for reading this long post, i need help so if any of you could at least explain me what's causing this problem...

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Can you not test card in another machine that would rule out card, but the fact you have tried another card in PCIe slot and it did not work it is beginning to look like the slot :(

3. Pr3acher

Pr3acher MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012
    #3 Pr3acher, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    (OP)
    Thanks responding, yh i think that's my mobo's slot but aint sure. Actually, i didnt really know if thet card i tested on my PCIe was working^^. Right now i can't test my 8600 in annother pc. But i already thought 'bout it, i could make sure my card is or isn't dead. Then i could eliminate some components with this method. But i need annother PC to test this :(

4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try 1 ram stick at time.. sometimes ram can cause similar issues.
    but most of the times its the video card itself

5. Pr3acher

Pr3acher MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Hi, will try this soon this evening.

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #6 LatinMcG, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    the 2 min issue with video card is.. gpu is shorted due to solder melting under the chip= replace video card.

or the ram in video card going bad.

i never seen bad pci-e port so i cant say what symptoms it gives, could have bad resistor on it from videocard drawing too much power.

4 days ago i replaced a video card in a pc that had a burned transistor in video card and it all worked good.

7. Pr3acher

Pr3acher MDL Member

Aug 24, 2012
    btw, anyone knows a software or a trick that can test the PCIe port ?