Pc won't recognize my monitor

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Armp0wr, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

Basically, I just bought a pc, turned it on, put my old monitors vga in the port provided, and basically, I just see a black screen, the pc is booting fine, etc, but cant see anything on my old monitor.
    what i did was, I went to my pc, there are 2 hdmi ports, one is the upper one, and one is down, put the hdmi one on the upper one, nothing.. wasnt able to see anything on my tv that has a hdmi input, but when I put the hdmi cable in the lowest hdmi spot I can see windows, and am able to write this now.

My question is, how can I acces my pc thru the vga port of my old monitor without having to put it in the lowest hdmi port on my tv?

thanks in advance.

2. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    Here is a suggestion that might work.

If you can see windows on the TV, right-click on the desktop. Select screen resolution. IF you see a box that is called "Multiple Displays", change the setting to "Duplicate These Displays."

3. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

sadly it does not.. my monitor wont turn on. I want to use my old monitor as primary monitor and not 2 screens or anything

4. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    Did you try my suggestion? I have a similar setup. Windows defaults to the monitor on the HDMI port. If you want to keep the cable connected to the TV (as I do) so you can stream movies from your computer to the TV, but if you want to use a monitor too, you have to change the display setting to Duplicate These Displays. The alternative is to remove the HDMI cable connected to the TV.

5. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Display - did you look there for something that may help?

6. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

Yes I did bro, ill clarify my issue.

> 2 hdmi ports I can put my hdmi cable in, the one that should be the desktop hdmi doesn't work.
    The videocard hdmi however does work when connecting to my tv
    >vga port doesnt work when connecting my pc monitor on it.

:: i want to use my old pc monitor on my desktop pc. But when turning it on the pc works but I don't see anything. My monitor says No input, going to sleep modus. How can i fix this..

Also, i wish not to use my tv as computer screen, but my pc monitor which only has a vga output

7. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    The Primary graphics is the only one working at boot. And only their ports work. If you also have an onboard graphics card present, that one is disabled if an plugged card is detected and their ports won't work.

What ports you have directly on the plugged card? The HDMI one and what else? If that card doesn't have a VGA port you might need to buy a HDMI-VGA (or DVI-VGA if available) adapter for your display to connect.

Many card manufacturers today do not include a VGA port anymore, but many deliver a VGA adapter along with it.

8. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    #8 Rock Hunter, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
    It sounds like the OP has on-board graphics and a graphics card. I think he can set his bios to use one or the other but not both at the same time. Which one gets used by the computer depends on the priority order he sets the bios setting to (on board video or video card).

9. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

#9 Armp0wr, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
    (OP)
    I made a schematic picture in paint with the inputs on the back of my pc, here's a picture of it;
    currently, my monitor is put on the vga port, and my tv is put on it, on the lowest hdmi port.

How can I make it run thru my pc monitor, while not using my tv.. when I unplug my tv, my monitor just says no input, going into sleep mode.

10. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    A photo would be better than a drawing.

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I suggest you check manufacturers documentation for the machine or actual motherboard.

12. Helmutcheese

Helmutcheese MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    iAhBjI3TmkAfx.png

Top of pic (I/O section of Mobo) will not work as on-board and you are using a dedicated GPU so makes sense they are disabled.

Bottom of pic is your dedicated GPU, 1 is HDMI, others are probably DVI and displayport.

13. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

I did, and it says to use the hdmi or vga port above

14. Armp0wr

Armp0wr Guest

Doesn't make sense for me :p
    But how can I make it work with my old pc monitor, thats my quest..

Also I can provide a real picture of it, I guess..

And what does dedicated gpu mean? Like it's a good thing to use the lowest hdmi port?

15. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Without knowing how old the monitor is, it is possible that the graphics card on the pc does not support the monitor. I had this problem once, only in reverse, I bought a new monitor for an older pc, when I plugged in the monitor to the pc all I would get is a black screen, turns out I needed to upgrade to a better graphics card and it worked. In your case you made need to upgrade to a newer monitor or down grade your graphics card which I would not recommend.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    As you have a DVI port (left in your picture), there are DVI-VGA adapters available. Usually they are even delivered with the card, as VGA displays are still common.

It really depends on the manufacturer, I recently bought a GeForce GTX 650 that still has a dedicated VGA port (along with DVI and mHDMI).

The upper ports are for the onboard graphics of your mobo, as soon as you plug in a graphics card the onboard graphics is disabled and its ports rendered useless.

17. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    Some computers such as my ASUS have a bios setting for selecting which video the computer will use; on-board or add-on card.

18. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Yeah but why would he want to use the inferior onboard graphics?

19. Rock Hunter

Dec 6, 2011
    It sounds like he wants to plug his monitor into the on-board video and the TV to the graphics card.

20. Reznov

Reznov MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    Well, I tried to reply you with the same schematic picture you provided, hope this would help you.
    iAhBjI3TmkAfx.png