Personalization window?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by timesurfer, Oct 22, 2013.

1. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Hi, was curious if there was any wmic way to open personalization window with .vbs or something that could be written in batch

And if so can the personalization window also be closed as well via same wmic

Thanks

:worthy:

2. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    #2 Josh Cell, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Win + R, then put this command:

Code:
    control /name Microsoft.Personalization
    The personalization window will appear... :smokecowboy:

Or just "control" /name Microsoft.Personalization on the batch file as a simple command.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #3 timesurfer, Oct 23, 2013
    (OP)
    Thank you JC

Code:
    control /name Microsoft.Personalization
    And mostly I want to know how to close the personalization window

I'm reading this page

4. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #4 timesurfer, Oct 23, 2013
    (OP)
    This also opens up personalization window

Code:
    control desktop
    But my goal it to have that window not open when theme is installed or at least to close it after it's opened

And I think that perhaps wallpaper installation does not require personalization window to be opened, I'm not sure?

Here are the two threads I found:

1. http://www.sevenforums.com/themes-styles/93397-there-silent-command-line-operation-change-theme.html
    2. http://www.sevenforums.com/general-...create-windows-batch-file-do.html#post1859923

The first gives this script to close personalization window

Code:
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

WshShell.Run "rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL %SystemRoot%\system32\desk.cpl desk,@Themes /Action:OpenTheme /file:""C:\Windows\Resources\Ease of Access Themes\classic.theme"""

Wscript.Sleep 10000
    WshShell.AppActivate("Desktop Properties")
    WshShell.Sendkeys "%FC"
    WshShell.Sendkeys "{F4}"
    and the second uses this code to close the personalization window

Code:
    timeout 6
    taskkill /fi "WINDOWTITLE eq Personalization"
    Basically my Rearm Wizard project restores theme/wallpaper, thus opening personalization window thus it would be nice to close it automatically :)

5. Dos_Probie

Dos_Probie MDL Senior Member

Jul 18, 2012
  6. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #6 timesurfer, Oct 24, 2013
    (OP)
    So I'll be starting with this and adapting it to Rearm Wizard here

ClosePersonalizationWindow.vbs

Code:

WshShell.Run "rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL %SystemRoot%\system32\desk.cpl desk,@Themes /Action:OpenTheme /file:""C:\Windows\Resources\Ease of Access Themes\classic.theme"""

Wscript.Sleep 1600
    WshShell.Sendkeys "%FC"
    WshShell.Sendkeys "{F4}"
    Thanks JC for getting me started, hopefully I can put this code or a similar code into the theme/wallpaper restore part of Rearm Wizard final version...

I missed seeing your post and am going to go look at now!

Thanks

p.s Can you post the code that would be used in batch please here so I don't have to join that site!

7. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #7 Mr Jinje, Oct 24, 2013
    Here is what I am doing from Powershell for my unattend, very similar.

Code:
    C:\Windows\Setup\Scripts\BLACK_SILENCE_NO_SCREENSAVER_2012_R2.deskthemepack
    Start-Sleep 5
    [void][System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName('Microsoft.VisualBasic');[Microsoft.VisualBasic.Interaction]::AppActivate("Personalization")
    [void][System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName('System.Windows.Forms');[System.Windows.Forms.SendKeys]::SendWait("%{F4}")
    http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/163857-reqchange-theme-not-working/

8. Dos_Probie

Jul 18, 2012
    #8 Dos_Probie, Oct 24, 2013
    Try this..DP

Code:
    'SETS SPECIFIED THEME THEN CLOSES OUT PERSONALIZATION WINDOW
    'Set.theme.vbs
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
     WshShell.Run "%windir%\\resources\\themes\\classic.theme"
     Wscript.Sleep 1000 
     WshShell.Sendkeys "%FC" 
     WshShell.Sendkeys "{F4}"

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #9 timesurfer, Oct 24, 2013
    (OP)
    Hi Mr Jinje, have watched you contribute greatly here at MDL and have admired your coding for years now

I am not an expert like you so would you explain to me what this does please

As I've stated I'm restoring theme/wallpaper and of course the personalization window (pw) pops up

So I'll have to somehow apply one of these close (pw) in correct timing after theme/wallpaper has been restored

I am uncertain on how to do this and would appreciate any help

Here is the latest Rearm Wizard

Thanks

:shisha:

Missed your post again :(

Thank you

If you guys are into it it would be easier for me to help me in my Rearm Wizard thread where these codes will be assimilated into RW

10. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #10 timesurfer, Oct 24, 2013
    (OP)
    @Dos_Probie

It works and closes itself, now to just figure where to assimilate it into RW

Thank you for your time and code

TS

Thanks, I will go look where to put these code of you guys into Rearm Wizard

11. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    Those might need some testing, I deleted the post after it didn't play out the same from double click a batch file vs paste into command window.

12. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    At least I found where to put the personalization code here :eek:...lol

13. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #13 timesurfer, Oct 24, 2013
    (OP)
    Here's how it's going to be in Rearm Wizard which writes to IR72.bat

To test:

Install these folders

Code:
    md %systemdrive%\Trial
    md %systemdrive%\Trial\IR7
    Code:
    echo echo Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") ^>^>close.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo WshShell.Run "%windir%\\resources\\themes\\classic.theme" ^>^>close.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo Wscript.Sleep 2600 ^>^>close.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo WshShell.AppActivate("Desktop Properties") ^>^>close.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo WshShell.Sendkeys "%%%%FC" ^>^>close.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo WshShell.Sendkeys "{F4}" ^>^>close.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo call close.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo del close.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    start %SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat

14. Dos_Probie

Jul 18, 2012
    #14 Dos_Probie, Oct 24, 2013
    Other Methods

You could also thing about instead of running from the system drive or a protected directory to instead use the temp directory to run your vbs like so..
    Code:
    :: Run vbs direct from batch to temp then delete vbs file..
    echo Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") > %tmp%\set_theme.vbs
    echo WshShell.Run "%windir%\\resources\\themes\\classic.theme" >> %tmp%\set_theme.vbs
    echo Wscript.Sleep 1000  >> %tmp%\set_theme.vbs
    echo WshShell.AppActivate("Desktop Properties")>> %tmp%\set_theme.vbs
    echo WshShell.Sendkeys "%%FC" >> %tmp%\set_theme.vbs
    echo WshShell.Sendkeys "{F4}" >> %tmp%\set_theme.vbs
    wscript.exe %tmp%\set_theme.vbs
    del %tmp%\set_theme.vbs
    Or just set your specified theme directly from your main batch which is more direct and faster..DP:)
    Code:
    :themeset
    :: Set path to theme directory..
     set TargetDir="%windir%\resources\themes"
     pushD "%~dp0" & cd /d "%~dp0"
    :: Activate specified theme..
     cd /d %TargetDir% 
     start "" classic.theme
     timeout /t 1 /nobreak>nul
    :: Kill Personalization..
     taskkill /f /im explorer.exe>nul 
     start explorer.exe>nul
     popD

15. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #15 timesurfer, Oct 24, 2013
    (OP)
    Come over to the Rearm Wizard thread and help me, since testing this in RW is the real test...

But I don't want task bar to disappear but faster would be better since the process of creating/calling/deleting close.vbs is kinda long so come help me in my thread :D

Thanks

16. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #16 timesurfer, Oct 26, 2013
    (OP)
    lol...This sometimes actually closes windows explorer instead of personalization window :suicide:...lol

Code:
    echo echo Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") ^>^>twrpwc.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo WshShell.Run "%windir%\\resources\\themes\\IR7Bkup.theme" ^>^>twrpwc.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo Wscript.Sleep 10000 ^>^>twrpwc.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo WshShell.AppActivate("Desktop Properties") ^>^>twrpwc.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo WshShell.Sendkeys "%%%%FC" ^>^>twrpwc.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo WshShell.Sendkeys "{F4}" ^>^>twrpwc.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo call twrpwc.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo del twrpwc.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat

17. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    #17 timesurfer, Nov 6, 2013
    (OP)
    So this personalization window close after theme install concept has been working pretty well

To explain in detail:

1. After onlogon/restart if in notifications theme will install, thus causing personalization window to open, thus it must be closed

2. The code being utilized will initiate theme restore then personalization window will open but sometimes the personalization window at startup/onlogon will freeze due to the programs starting up inside windows thus in my testing the personalization window remains open because there is a timing code that starts after theme is restore and if personalization window isn't completely open the theme may not restore and personalization window my not close :(

3. I did however in testing note that if I use the cmd

Code:
    control desktop
    prior to theme restore things seem to go more smoothly

I have even set the time delay to 7000 reboot or logooff and theme seems to install faster and personalization window seems to always close

so the code looks like this now

Code:
    echo control desktop  >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo WshShell.Run "%windir%\\resources\\themes\\IR7.theme" ^>^>%tmp%\IR7.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") ^>^>%tmp%\IR7.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo WshShell.Run "%windir%\\resources\\themes\\IR7.theme" ^>^>%tmp%\IR7.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo Wscript.Sleep 7000 ^>^>%tmp%\IR7.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo WshShell.AppActivate("Desktop Properties") ^>^>%tmp%\IR7.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo WshShell.Sendkeys "%%%%FC" ^>^>%tmp%\IR7.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo echo WshShell.Sendkeys "{F4}" ^>^>%tmp%\IR7.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo call %tmp%\IR7.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    echo del %tmp%\IR7.vbs >>%SystemDrive%\Trial\IR7\IR72.bat
    I have also changed the path and name to twrpwc.vbs to %tmp%\IR7.vbs and the theme backup name to IR7.theme

18. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    #18 HALIKUS, Oct 20, 2014
    I was just messing around with adding branding and themes to an already installed windows.
    [​IMG]

If it helps heres the cmd i use. Im still tweaking it. Only tested on 8.1 x64.

This part applies the theme and closes it without a vbs.
    Code:
    echo Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")  >> %temp%\SetTheme.vbs
    echo WshShell.Run "%windir%\\resources\\themes\\%CustomOEM%.theme"  >> %temp%\SetTheme.vbs
    echo Wscript.Sleep 1000   >> %temp%\SetTheme.vbs
    echo WshShell.AppActivate("Desktop Properties")  >> %temp%\SetTheme.vbs
    echo WshShell.Sendkeys "%%FC"   >> %temp%\SetTheme.vbs
    echo WshShell.Sendkeys "{F4}"  >> %temp%\SetTheme.vbs
    cscript %temp%\SetTheme.vbs

Code:
    @echo off
    set CustomOEM=BLACKMESA
    set ModelNameOfComputer=Research PC
    set SupportURL=http://www.blackmesasource.com/

Call :OobeInfo
    Call :OobeInfoReg
    Call :UserAccountPictures
    Call :Lockscreen
    Call :Themes
    rem :WALLPAPER
    rem Control.exe /name Microsoft.Personalization
    echo Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")  >> %temp%\SetTheme.vbs
    echo WshShell.Run "%windir%\\resources\\themes\\%CustomOEM%.theme"  >> %temp%\SetTheme.vbs
    echo Wscript.Sleep 1000   >> %temp%\SetTheme.vbs
    echo WshShell.AppActivate("Desktop Properties")  >> %temp%\SetTheme.vbs
    echo WshShell.Sendkeys "%%FC"   >> %temp%\SetTheme.vbs
    echo WshShell.Sendkeys "{F4}"  >> %temp%\SetTheme.vbs
    cscript %temp%\SetTheme.vbs
    exit

:OobeInfo
    MD "%windir%\system32\oobe\info"
    rem COPY /Y "%~dp0*.*" "%windir%\system32\oobe\info"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0Backgrounds" "%windir%\system32\oobe\info"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0*.jpg" "%windir%\system32\oobe\info"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0*.png" "%windir%\system32\oobe\info"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0*.bmp" "%windir%\system32\oobe\info"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0*.xml" "%windir%\system32\oobe\info"
    REM echo   Below is for running the OEM reg instead of adding the reg entries via the CMD.
    rem FOR %%f IN (%~dp0*.reg) DO regedit.exe /S %%f
    rem RUNDLL32.EXE USER32.DLL,UpdatePerUserSystemParameters ,1 ,True
    goto :eof

:OobeInfoReg
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Colors" /v Background /T REG_SZ /D "0 0 0" /f
    REG ADD "HKU\.Default\Control Panel\Colors" /v Background /T REG_SZ /D "0 0 0" /f
    rem REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation /V @ /T REG_SZ /D "" /F
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation /V Logo /T REG_EXPAND_SZ /D "%Windir%\System32\oobe\info\%CustomOEM%_BADGE.bmp" /F
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation /V Manufacturer /T REG_SZ /D "%CustomOEM%" /F
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation /V Model /T REG_SZ /D "%ModelNameOfComputer%" /F
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation /V SupportHours /T REG_SZ /D "24\7" /F
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation /V SupportPhone /T REG_SZ /D "1-800-892-5234" /F
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OEMInformation /V SupportURL /T REG_SZ /D "%SupportURL%" /F
    REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winsat\WindowsExperienceIndexOemInfo" /V Logo /T REG_EXPAND_SZ /D "%Windir%\System32\oobe\info\%CustomOEM%_BAR.bmp" /F
    REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winsat\WindowsExperienceIndexOemInfo" /V HardwareUpgradeURL /T REG_SZ /D "%SupportURL%" /F
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background /v OEMBackground /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System /v UseOEMBackground /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes /V "Drop Shadow" /T REG_EXPAND_SZ /D "FALSE" /F
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes /V "Flat Menus" /T REG_SZ /D "FALSE" /F
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes /V SetupVersion /T REG_SZ /D "10" /F
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes /V InstallTheme /T REG_SZ /D "%WINDIR%\resources\Themes\$OEM$.theme" /F
    REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes /V InstallVisualStyle /T REG_SZ /D "%WINDIR%\resources\Themes\Aero\Aero.msstyles" /F

:UserAccountPictures
    REN "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp" "orig.bmp"
    REN "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.png" "orig.png"
    REN "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user-40.png" "orig-40.png"
    REN "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user-200.png" "orig-200.png"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0user.bmp" "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0user.bmp" "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.png"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0user.bmp" "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user-40.png"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0user.bmp" "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user-200.png"

:Lockscreen
    rem http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/40669-lock-screen-default-background-image-change-windows-8-a.html
    TAKEOWN /F "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\*.*"
    ICACLS "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\*.*" /reset /T /Q
    TAKEOWN /F "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\*.*"
    ICACLS "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\*.*" /reset /T /Q
    TAKEOWN /F "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly\*.*"
    ICACLS "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly\*.*" /reset /T /Q
    TAKEOWN /F "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly\LockScreen_Z\*.*"
    ICACLS "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly\LockScreen_Z\*.*" /reset /T /Q
    MOVE /Y "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly\LockScreen_Z\*.jpg" "%temp%\LockScreen.jpg"
    TAKEOWN /F "%windir%\Web\Screen\*.jpg"
    ICACLS "%windir%\Web\Screen\*.jpg" /reset /T /Q
    MOVE /Y "%windir%\Web\Screen\img100.jpg" "%windir%\Web\Screen\original.jpg"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0WALLPAPER.jpg" "%windir%\Web\Screen\img100.jpg"
    TAKEOWN /F "%windir%\Web\Screen\*.png"
    ICACLS "%windir%\Web\Screen\*.png" /reset /T /Q
    MOVE /Y "%windir%\Web\Screen\img100.png" "%windir%\Web\Screen\original.png"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0WALLPAPER.jpg" "%windir%\Web\Screen\img100.png"

:Themes
    COPY /Y "%~dp0WALLPAPER.jpg" "%windir%\System32\OOBE\info\%CustomOEM%_WALLPAPER.jpg"
    TAKEOWN /F "%windir%\Resources\Themes\*.theme"
    ICACLS "%windir%\Resources\Themes\*.theme" /reset /T /Q
    ICACLS "%windir%\Resources\Themes\*.theme" /grant:r "%windir%\Resources\Themes\*.theme:(OI)(CI)F"
    REN "%windir%\Resources\Themes\aero.theme" "orig.theme"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0*.theme" "%windir%\Resources\Themes\aero.theme"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0*.theme" "%windir%\Resources\Themes\%CustomOEM%.theme"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0*.theme" "%windir%\Resources\Themes\$OEM$.theme"

:WALLPAPER
    TAKEOWN /F "%windir%\Web\Windows\*.jpg"
    ICACLS "%windir%\Web\Windows\*.jpg" /reset /T /Q
    MOVE /Y "%windir%\Web\Windows\img100.jpg" "%windir%\Web\Windows\original.jpg"
    COPY /Y "%~dp0WALLPAPER.jpg" "%windir%\Web\Wallpaper\Windows\Wallpaper.jpg"
    REG ADD "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop" /V Wallpaper /T REG_SZ /D "%windir%\Web\Wallpaper\Windows\Wallpaper.jpg" /f

:SourcesTheseareJustExamples
    Echo These are the main file locations and the needed resolutions.
    Echo DONT RUN THIS
    ;OEM Branding in REG
    windows\system32\oobe\info\OOBE.xml ;Applies below
    Windows\system32\oobe\info\%CustomOEM%_BADGE.png ;oobe Logo  240x100 
    windows\system32\oobe\info\%CustomOEM%_BADGE.bmp ;OEM logo   120x120
    windows\system32\oobe\info\%CustomOEM%_BAR.bmp ;Experience Index logo  120x50
    ;Themes in REG
    %WINDIR%\resources\Themes\$OEM$.theme ;Custom Theme
    %WINDIR%\resources\Themes\Aero\Aero.msstyles ;Used by default
    %WINDIR%\System32\oobe\info\WALLPAPER.jpg ; Wallpaper in theme