Pets

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe C, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #1 Joe C, Apr 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    If you have a story or just want to tell something about your furry, hairless or scaly friend please feel free to post

We are picking her up this Monday!
    We are excited to get a new puppy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    just wanted to share with everybody!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Got pics of the little one's parents.
    Dad
    [​IMG]
    And Mom
    [​IMG]
    We are going to train her to be a therapy dog, so we can take her into hospitals and retirement homes. We lost our little Westie mix last fall ( 11yrs old- cancer) so we have been patiently waiting to get this pup
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_dog

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Newfie... read link at bottom of post #2

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    yup... dogs do not have long lives as we do.
    The pup will be 10 weeks old when we pick her up on Monday

5. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    we acquired 4 dachshund's about 3 years ago when a friend had an accident and could no longer care for them, my wife didn't think the dogs would survive the were already old the mother and father and two children, they are now 20-21 and the younger ones are 19. if they went to the pond the would have been put to sleep because of their age . we have a big yard for them to play in and a heated doghouse with a radio and lights for them to spend the nights. when my wife watches tv they sit on the couch with her and on her lap lol. they are pain in the butts in the yard they are diggers and they are funny and useful at times when a sales man come around they bark and off go the sales men lol

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Maybe I should re-name this thread "Pets" because dogs/cats...ect. can do some strange, funny and quirky things that make for good stories.

Edit: Well that was easier than I thought

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    When we had that little Westie mix, he was a better mouser than our cat. He loved getting critters, got skunked 3 times in one year because he can't figure out that they spray stink (never said he was a smart dog) ... so at midnight I'm going to Walmart to buy stuff to clean him up and getting a new collar. When I lived in the country, I had a large fenced off area for the dogs. We had then the Westie and a German Sheppard. That Westie also loved going after moles and we did have moles in the yard. One time all you could see was his little bottom end sticking out of a deep hole he dug to get a mole, the German Sheppard just sat next to him and watched. When he finally got that mole, the GS snatched it away from him as soon as he came out of the hole. They did not eat it but only killed it. And if you did not check the property it would sit in the hot sun for several days until it got very nasty.... That's when they both decided to roll around on it. That stink is almost as bad as a skunk.

That's my pet story

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Just got a border collie pup a few weeks ago, nearly 9 weeks old now

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I hear that Border Collies are very intelligent dogs

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #10 Enthousiast, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    They really are, i think @MrMagic can second that:)

This is our bordercollie (the one that is my avatar) 1-2 weeks old:
    [​IMG]

This is her at the age of 5-6 months:

[​IMG]
    No photo-shopping done :D

She is my unofficial ptsd helper dog but still a little devil, now at the age of 3.5:)

@MrMagic, is the new puppy an addition to the one you already had (you posted a pic a while ago)?

11. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    #11 PointZero, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Here's mine. He's mostly German Shepherd with some Australian Cattle Dog, I think. Super-friendly and energetic. Loves walks/jogs. Had him 10 years now (since a pup).

Ready to play
    [​IMG]

Rolling around in grass
    [​IMG]

Recently when he had a little cut on his leg. Recovery cone was too small, so he ripped the bandage off in seconds after this shot
    [​IMG]

edit: actually, his minority part may be Australian Shepherd (not Cattle Dog). I had a DNA test done on him several years ago and I remember the minority part was Australian something, but I can't find the report at the moment.

12. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    #12 Alphawaves, Apr 7, 2019
    My beautiful boy Keeper, 12 this year X
    [​IMG]

13. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    #13 Krager, Apr 7, 2019
    Wife made us get a Chihauhua. They actually have a lot of character and do a lot of Chihuahua things, pretty amuzing. Ours likes to stand on her hind legs and dance when she gets excited. I keep saying she needs a pink tutu. She also likes to burrow into blankets. She'll dig herself into a little Chihuahua burrito with just her nose poking out.

Attached Files:

14. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    use tomato juice on your dog when they mess with a skunk and don't let them in the house lol. they tend to jump up on the couch or roll around on the carpet then the whole house stinks "I know" . pour tomato juice all over the dog being carful not to get any in their eyes and rub it in good then rinse it off you might have to do it a couple of times but it works !

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    We used a recipe using baking soda, dawn dish detergent and hydrogen peroxide. Works very well at getting that stink out.

Here's the Westie mix genius that always used to get skunk sprayed...
    [​IMG]

16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    We got the puppy yesterday, had her check up with the vet this morning, She's actually 9 weeks old and weights 14 lbs.
    [​IMG]

17. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #17 Joe C, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    (OP)
    Just an update: This is Saylor during her training for her Good Canine Citizenship, She needs to pass this before she can start her therapy dog training. Saylor is now 5 mo. old @ 52.4 lbs but these pics were taken by her trainer a couple weeks ago. Saylor weight is averaging between 3 to 5 lbs a week.
    [​IMG]
    As a therapy dog Saylor will be able to visit sick people & kids in the hospitals and get into other places to help people cope.

18. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Didn't see this post

Not sure which one I posted a while ago but we lost our last border last year at almost 13 years old, still got a little terrier cross

This is our new collie

First day we brought her home about 5 weeks old (Breeders said the mother died and all that BS to get them sold quick so had no choice but to take her early, also called the RSPCA to go check them out and they weren't happy)

[​IMG]

And this is her yesterday now just over 5 months old

[​IMG]

Most intelligent dogs ever and very loving, well worth the effort it takes when they are young and full of madness

19. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    its a shame when people buy pets for kids or just because their cute but the first time they crap on the carpet or find they cant go to some places on vacation with a pet they just abandon them !

20. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Stupids "poopies" (poopy puppies)

They bark and squeak like crazies.

:vampiria: