Phisical to Phisical Migration (P2P)

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by koma, Feb 26, 2010.

1. koma

koma MDL Novice

May 16, 2008
    Hi all,
    I'm working on a wind 2k3 server (SBS) that i want to migrate to a new hardware.
    Is it possible to migrate from an hardware to another without reinstall?
    I think at somethink like acronis but the live cd did not see my phisical disks.
    Any other?

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
  3. ioniancat21

ioniancat21 MDL Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Easier way...........

If you can get your hands on Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 or 8.5, you can use the Restore Anywhere Option to restore the backup image of your server to the newer hardware. I've done hundreds of servers this way and it works well, even for Domain Controllers!!! Simply take an image of your drive to a USB HD, then connect the USB HD to the new hardware and restore, making sure to check the box named "Use Restore Anywhere Option" during this setup process. Once this completes, simply reboot and Symantec will perform a mini-setup and detect your new hardware. In some cases with odd hardware, I needed to provide the driver from a USB flash drive, but the restore process halts and prompts you so it's easy to deal with. TRY IT!!!

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Sure, Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 Virtual Edition License + Essential 12 Months Support - $2,915.41
    while you can use the free solution above...

But good to know that it works

sebus