Phoenix Crisis On Thumb Drive?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by QuePID, Aug 14, 2009.

1. QuePID

QuePID MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Has anyone been successful at producing a phoenix crisis disk on a thumb drive?

I know one can wrangle the batch file and change it to work with a thumb drive letter, the part which isn't working for me is making the thumb drive bootable with minidos which is I think required for crisis to work.

2. QuePID

QuePID MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Phoenix Crisis Disk can be setup and ran from a thumb drive (flash drive).

Here is how I did it.

I have access to a Windows 7 laptop that is functional, and installed Microsoft Virtual PC and XP Mode. With XP Mode you have an environment that will permit you to make a crisis disk on a thumb drive. So once you run XP Mode you will insert your Thumb Drive and at the top of the XP Mode window click at the top on USB and then on the name of your Thumb Drive and it will allow you to "Share" this drive between 7 and XP. Next click Start (in XP Mode) and right click on My Computer and choose Manage, go to disk manager, and right click on the Thumb Drive and choose Change Drive Letter, change the drive letter to B. You now have a drive B, you can copy/paste the crisis folder to XP Mode and dump the bios file into that folder, renaming the bios file to bios.wph. Next open a command prompt and go to the crisis folder and type crisdisk b: and it will produce a crisis disk on your Thumb Drive. You should have three files on your Thumb Drive now.

Be sure to use Safely Remove before removing the Thumb Drive from the machine.

You can now insert the Thumb Drive into the dead machine, remove the battery and power cable if it is a laptop, hold FN + B, and insert the power cable and press Power button. You should see atleast 10 seconds of Thumb Drive activity...be patient, it can take over 5 minutes for your machine to reboot with the newly flashed bios.

If you have windows xp you probably could make the crisis disk easily enough with the Thumb Drive using the above steps.

I hope this helps others who do not have access to a usb floppy drive.

3. grasia

grasia MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Thanks for the great tips. People should read this before trashing their bios :) Thumbs up!

4. kamiteo

kamiteo MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2009
    I try this, No work for me:( . Can you explain step by step please.
    I think this tread is very important, my laptop has 2mb bios and there is no enought space in a floppy to make crisis boot disk.