Phone Voice Memos

Discussion in 'Android' started by 55Percent, Mar 23, 2023.

1. 55Percent

55Percent MDL Junior Member

Mar 12, 2023
    I have an older Android 10 unit given to me a few years ago by my family under some sort of family plan and it is very basic and I do not think it is even possible to update it or whatever that is called, as in getting it up to the latest version --- Android 20 (Android 30?) version. So that's just background; and I also don't use it for much, so don't really care too much that it is so basic.

BUT now I would like to move the Phone Voices Memos to a PC for archiving and so far I have found zero ways to accomplish this. And I am having a very hard time understanding something called "Export" in a menu drop down for a given voice memo. I click on that and there is something about a "Phone" and I have no clue where that means I am sending/exporting it.

Also, I saw some ideas during some Net research about using a "Share" button, and I have seen and used those "Share" buttons with text stuff, but the Phone Voice Memos has no "Share" buttons in any place I can navigate myself to.

Do any of you fine folks remember anything about using the Android 10 system way back when that was the newest thing? I could sure use some help, if you don't mind.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 55Percent

Mar 12, 2023
    Well, I appreciate that link, but I am sure that last night before finally hitting the sack I saw some of those same results. I just thought there might be some actual experience some folks have they could explain.

One thing was that a couple years ago I tried hooking my Android to one of my PCs using that USB style and it didn't go as it was supposed to go. I think that time I was trying to archive SMS, but then found out I could just use the attached to email style. So I was looking around for some other style besides that USB thingy.

I shifted from the IE browser over to FireFox and saw some extra information about using that share button style and attaching the recordings, but, as noted in my first post, I don't see any share buttons, which seems a tad odd.

Plus --- and I'll just look at it right now --- I can hold the Phone button and get the little drop down that has "Auto answering" and "Voice memo" links and when I click on "Voice memo" I see a long list. and I hold down one link for a short time and get a drop down that shows three options 'Protect' - 'Delete' - 'Export' --- but last night when I tried the export and saw "Export to Phone" and clicked on that I was expecting to be asked to input a phone number, but it seemed to do an export to the number that was showing, which I hope didn't happen or that government fella is going to be mighty upset that I did that. You see, I was sort of wondering if anyone here knew anything about that.

But I do admit, that the link will be useful again as I may go back and review all those that I saw last night and maybe be surprised that something works.

4. 55Percent

Mar 12, 2023
    I suppose it is a responsible act to inform anyone that may be interested in this thread that I fixed my problem, but have not a clue how Microsoft could recognize a file that did not have the .inf tag, as it was supposed to have. Frankly, I spent about three hours playing games with some drivers for the android to load on this unit but was running into all sorts of troubles and had given up and after tidying everything up to get some sleep tried one more time with the usb connection and this Win7 unit suddenly indicated that the phone was a recognized storage unit and files were moved to the computer. But how Microsoft did that is going to require I go back and do more studying. I must admit, though, I was seriously comforted by that sudden change of heart my Win7 unit had, as I badly need some government phone discussions in an archive for a few weeks down the road, if those government folks don't do their jobs right.

So I'm quite happy about the final result, but a bit unsure how it happened. But I suppose not many folks here could care much about all this. I may return with some info about that weird .inf file, just in case anyone is .interested.

By the way, kaljukass, that avatar looks a lot like a fella that was on that Britain's Got Talent show a bit back. Is that you, by any chance? Or maybe just a coincidence? But if it is you, you did a great performance that first time. Didn't look for the second show you must have done. If that is you?

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I used to always use my real personal information and also a picture, but then I realized that this is not a very smart thing to do in today's Internet and now, like most people, I use completely random avatars and usernames.
    Sega, I don't know anything about this show, and this picture is not my personal face either.
    The only thing that is correct in my data is that I am from Europe and also from one of the countries of the European Union. I can also add that I am a physicist by profession, and more precisely, my speciality is micro-electronics, and that is also correct.

6. 55Percent

Mar 12, 2023
    Thank you for the response. I rarely ask such questions, but an exception in this case. Maybe I should go find a link to that fella's appearance on Britain's Got Talent so you can see what I mean. But you being a physicist is a point of some significance in our community, so we know we have somebody in that field we can turn to when any questions arise that you may have the needed knowledge to provide us with trustworthy information. And for an old man like me that area of micro-electronics is one of the most interesting of the past 5 or 6 decades, when childhood activity alone disappeared from my life and I started paying attention to things like that black-and-white TV and that telephone system. Of course way back when there was still the party line system. Talk about privacy issues --- that party line system was quite a problem if somebody wanted to listen in on your call.

But, again, thank you for the very interesting response.

Oh yes, who remembers the vacuum tube? Could jiggle one around in the TV to make the TV work correctly. That trouble could arise when moving furniture around that included the TV being moved. But now I am rambling on just like an old man.

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @55Percent

What's the exact model number of the phone? Also, show us a a screenshot of the app that you use to record the voice memos.

8. 55Percent

Mar 12, 2023
    Please excuse the delay in my response to your offer to help, Tito, but this issue has been solved. But thank you for your attention to the thread.

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @55Percent

In that case, kindly share the steps you followed, so that someone else dealing with the same issue can be benefitted. That's the whole idea of a forum.

:)

10. 55Percent

Mar 12, 2023
    Okay, but I only got back to this work station a short time ago and I'll need some time to go over the notes so I can put together a better explanation than what I provided in that #4 post. I am still not sure how that worked, but I can go over my notes and look into a few logs and see whether I can make sense of what happened. After I did post #4 and then moved the files from the android unit to the laptop I had to focus my attention on other matters. But let me see what I can put together. In fact, you may even be able to help me make sense of what happened, if I don't find the answers myself.