Please help me clarify a simple Win10 build number question.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Alex Sisk, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Alex Sisk

Alex Sisk MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2018
    First time poster. Apologies if this is TMI,I'm a newbie as far as the Windows Insider program.

On a computer that is not my primary daily user, I'm currently running Windows 10 Pro build 1803. (I can afford to brick the hard drive without losing anything important, basically.)

I've followed the absurd saga surrounding 1809, and I've just not bothered with it for a couple of months. I was even willing to give 1809 a try directly, but no matter how many times I clicked on Check for Updates, nothing happened.

Today, [again since this computer is inconsequential], I decided to try the Windows Insider Program, and right now, Windows 10 Insider Preview 18298.1000 (rs_prerelease) is installing.

Are these preview releases simply the continuation work toward the perfection of 1809, or are these previews aiming for a release beyond 1809?

Your answer will probably clarify this, but is there any relation whatsoever between 1809 and 18298.1000?

I'm looking forward to hearing from someone, and thank you in advance.

Alex

2. orca99

orca99 MDL Junior Member

Nov 30, 2012
    You're mixing up version number with build number. 1809 is a version number based on a build 17763.xxx. 18298.1000 is a build number for version 1903, the next major upgrade version of Windows 10.

3. redxii

redxii MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2016
    18298.1000 is beyond the 1809/Oct 2018 release, any bug fixes/changes to the 1809/Oct 2018 release is 17763.xxx.

18298.1000 is testing for a public release slated for around March 2019, 19H1.

Windows 10 will never be perfected, they keep breaking everything including hardware support for s**ts and giggles on every insider build and wonder why people are angry, or going other routes to get around being forced to update every 6 months.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    To be perfect simply means that something (in this case an OS) is in a final stage and would work 100% correctly!

Would be any man-made (human build) software at any time in such a stage? I don't believe it will ever! Nobody is perfect and never will be, therefore, how any (special) software product developed and produced by such imperfect humans would be perfect?!

Microsoft, like any other Software Developer and producer, will never intentionally build something 'breaking' etc. and give it to its customers, even not for testings! Same applies to any other of those Developers/Producers in this business line!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. redxii

redxii MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2016
    1809 was already final, released initially as 17763.1, the only issue AFAIK was data loss when upgrading under certain circumstances (I always do clean installs and my data is on a network location with 63 days of rolling backups anyway), they pulled it from the public and re-released as 17763.107.

18298.1000 does indeed say "1809", they just haven't changed it yet to say "19H1" or whatever.

6. redxii

redxii MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2016
    #7 redxii, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    I'd agree with you otherwise but.. I already see huge differences difference between 18290.1000 & 18298.1000, and that's just the UI. 18298 does have a snazzy new default background.

They're literally reinventing the wheel with each insider preview and it's hard to perfect when doing that.

They changed the "Turn Off Suggested Content in Settings" setting in the registry to
    Code:
    "SubscribedContent-88000105Enabled"=dword:00000000
    just for the heck of it in 18290.1000, and I am sure it toggles at least three other "SubscribedContent" registries entries just for that one setting. My posts seem to be the only result on Google so far. I guess they don't like people turning annoyances off with unattended setups for one.

7. Alex Sisk

Alex Sisk MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2018
    I’m sorry, I am not meaning 100% perfect. I realize that’s not how writing code works. To make it really simple, I’ll ask this. There has been a lot of press surrounding v1809. Are these current Insider Preview builds potentially (or likely, whatever you feel comfortable saying) more stable than the October 2nd or November 13 release of 1809?

I did find a note “the first preview of 1903 was released to insiders who opted into the exclusive Skip Ahead ring on July 25, 2018” which makes that screenshot I shared even more baffling.

PSA: the following is not meant to troll...I know that nobody is intentionally putting flawed software out there.

I have been using Windows since v3.1 when I was about 7, and I’ve gone through 95, 98, Millenium, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10.

I tinker with both macOS and Windows. macOS basically always releases a XX.1 bugfix update a within a few weeks after the original release of XX.0 - so they’re far from perfect, but I’ve noticed it’s almost always something minor, and it never takes months to release the fix. (And it’s never debilitating to the point that the update is pulled, unless I’m forgetting something.)

Clearly less diverse hardware Is part of the reason it has less problems, but it seems as if Microsoft has been fighting these seriously detrimental issues for nearly 3 decades.

I admit that Windows 10 is a massive step forward. It’s (generally) reliable and easy to use. That’s why I’m using it.

I remain optimistic that these kinds of PR nightmare epic fails can come to an end at some point for Microsoft. I just figured it would have been by now.

Hopefully my Insider Preview install will be OK until 1809 final is released.

My real question was waayyy back in the 1st paragraph.

Thanks folks.

8. Alex Sisk

Alex Sisk MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2018
    I always prefer clean installs as well. Plenty of external storage for backups.

9. redxii

redxii MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2016
    #10 redxii, Dec 11, 2018
    Insider preview 18xxx/Fast ring is IMHO less stable than current Oct/Nov release of 1809/17763.xxx. On 1809/17763.xxx they are only focusing on bugfixes and nothing else for the Oct/Nov 2018 release.

Anything goes, between IP/Fast ring releases like 18928.1000. What I'm trying to touch on is that they'll have this "anything goes" attitude up until they release 19H1 to the public and wonder why they didn't catch a major bug from a change in fast ring a week before, pull it from the public, spend the next month or so on slow ring before re-releasing it and rolling it out to the public again.

I don't think you or anyone is trolling, it's just gotten ridiculous with Microsoft and their quality assurance. Once 1809/17763.xxx is decidedly stable and people have settled on it, they will already have started rolling out the next release to the public, 19H1, then the cycle starts again with all the bugs

As to why 18298.1000 still says 1809, it's a newer build than 1809/17763 but it's not quite 19H1 or 1903 yet, they just haven't changed it.

10. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #11 AveYo, Dec 11, 2018
    OT

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. redxii

redxii MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2016
  12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    This is a very clarifying thread:D:D

13. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Clearly it is! :tooth:
    I didn't understand a s**t

14. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #15 AveYo, Dec 11, 2018
  15. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^ yay :D

16. Alex Sisk

Alex Sisk MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2018
    Thanks. Maybe I just won’t again consider this machine for anything at all until Microsoft gets 1809 down pat. Perhaps 2023 or 2024 if we’re lucky. :)

17. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    MS, unlike Apple, has to build its systems for the near full bunch of available hardware and therefore has much more difficulties at the development of the software. MS also didn't limit the use of its products to just a 'small' variety of hardware as Apple did with its systems, and go as far as to sue 'offenders' which are breaking the 'rules' of what Apple allows to its customers and users.
    Another discrepancy is the system used by MS for the development of its products, which is split into a lot of different 'groups' with a lot of different programmers, and that 'groups' are 'overseen' by a team which maybe don't have the required technical knowledge, just be responsible to handle the 'wild' (like MDL etc.) and Public. Furthermore, there a lot of changes in that groups too!

Not an easy task to solve all that obstacles of the development of the Software for such much different Hardware, in which MS is also relying on the support of the Manufacturer of that Hardware, to be able to get all running as it should. Just to mention the Driver problems!

MS still seems to aware of the still running and even new coming problems with its policy still to give practically ALL interested Users and Newbies the ability to use Windows 10 (Release and Insider) legally for free.

To be honest, as long as I get something for free, I just could say Thank you very much! If I would have bought such a system and get problems with it, I would directly complain to the Seller and/or Developer, if it was a real FINAL product. That said, regarding Windows 10: there is not any FINAL version yet, and may never will! Even 1809 or what Release No. ever, were classified as a FINAL product by MS, AFAIK.

18. Alex Sisk

Alex Sisk MDL Novice

Dec 11, 2018
    Yeah, I mentioned that the known hardware was an Apple advantage when I posted.

Windows does have quite a challenge with that taken into consideration

Regarding finality, Windows 10 is the first Windows OS that is truly considered SaaS - so I understand that the entire product will never be “final”. On the other hand, due to the lack of pre-release QA, Windows 10’s predecessors, which were “final” in theory, were in constant need of bug fixes and security patches. (That part hasn’t changed.)

From what I’ve gathered, it sounds like I really need to wait until the tech press indicates satisfaction with an upcoming re-release of 1809.

One thing I still don’t understand - once in a while, I’ll read an article about a flaw or security hole in an Apple OS, and usually there is a patch out before I even find the article, or the next day at worse. I wonder why Microsoft can’t do that.

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    1809 is officially released, there was no real re-release, just a refresh iso with an old CU pre-integrated.