Please help me out.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Zeemanv2, Aug 20, 2013.

1. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #61 LatinMcG, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  2. Aft3rlife

Aft3rlife MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    Zeemanv2 have you got any progress.. I will try out the steps during the weekend, was busy with office work. Thanks LatinMcG, Donovan and to you because if you didn't create this thread i would've been lost.

3. donovan6000

donovan6000 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    That error occurs when you try to flash a rom that hasn't been encrypted at all. You can easily bypass it by modifying iscflash.dll. However we've already established that your bios are unmoddable, so that would be pointless :p

I am curious about what happens when you force the recovery to flash the modified rom.

So here's step by step what to do.
    1. Unhide the HP_TOOLS partition because we want it to force the recovery like it was doing before.
    2. Use Andy's tool to open the rom I uploaded that included the troll faces in the splash screen. This will create the .bin.dec and .sig files to use in the recovery. So use the rom in this post: forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/47165-Please-help-me-out/page5?p=797853&viewfull=1#post797853
    3. Replace the .dec and .sig files in HP_TOOLS:/Hewlett-Packard/BIOS/Current/ with the newly created ones from Andy's tool. Also replace the ones in the /Previous/ directory if they exists there already. Make sure the rom and its signature are named appropietly for recovery.
    4. Run InsydeFlash.exe inside the folder that I uploaded to flash the modded rom with the troll faces. This will cause the forced recovery to occur upon boot because the troll rom will fail the verification.

If the recovery flasher gives an error, then this wont work like we were hoping. If it does flash the modded rom, then it might fail the verification agian upon boot thus forcing the recovery. And that would repeat forever :p

But if it works, then this is a way to mod HP's newest RSA bios :biggrin:

4. Zeemanv2

Zeemanv2 MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2013
    Donovan i hope this works. My head was blocked by all the constant researching, modding, flashing so currently im out of city to get some fresh air n clear my head. :D

I'm not carrying laptop with me n will return till 22th sep.

@ Aft3rlife i reckon that ur system is recovered. So in the meantime u can perform this flash n save time of everyone n provide feedback to Donovan coz our systems r same.

@ LatinMcG n @ Donovan thanks guys for all the input n support. Really appreciate it.:worthy::worthy::worthy:
    And last but not the least @ Aft3rlife thanks in advance to u for trying all mods till im gone.

5. Aft3rlife

Aft3rlife MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    It didn't work. I also tried interchanging the files with the HP files buts stilll no results.. But with the modded .sig file and HP .bin file I got the following message on the "HP BIOS Update" screen:
    "The System BIOS recovery failed.
    Unable to open BIO S SIgnature file."

Otherwise it was a black screen.

6. Aft3rlife

Aft3rlife MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    Is it possible to disable the LOGO screen...

7. Aft3rlife

Aft3rlife MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013

Are there any other steps i can folllow??

8. donovan6000

donovan6000 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    @Aft3rlife Those steps were just to see how the forced recovery would handle the modded rom. There's still no known method for getting those kind of bios to work, so you've got a lot of work to do if you want to make this possible.

I was talking to someone who knows a lot about this stuff, and it turns out that HP's RSA bios have verify both the PEI and DXE regions in order to boot. So to make modded bios work, we'd have to bypass those 2 verification checks. It'd probably be easier to just generate your own public and private key pair and overwrite the key related data thats currently in your bios :p

9. Aft3rlife

Aft3rlife MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013

Is there a tutorial for doing this Donovan. I really appreciate your help. I'll try to find the instructions for getting that done. But if you have a link for me, I'd be thankful. Thanks once again.

10. donovan6000

donovan6000 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    As I've already said, there are no known methods for getting these bios to work. That means there are no tutorials or any refrences of any kind that you can follow. This will be a very difficult task if you've never done anything like this before :p

11. Aft3rlife

Aft3rlife MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    Ohh.. :eek: Which tools would I need to get this task done..

12. donovan6000

donovan6000 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    All you need is the most powerful tool of all: the human brain :biggrin:

13. devdevadev

devdevadev MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2013
    HEy........................Zeemanv2

First receive a very big thanks for your very precious thread. and a highly greatful thanks to the LatinMcG, donovan6000 and Aft3rlife .

I have face same problem which Zeemanv2 fighting from.....wih HP Pavilion G4 1303au Boot Logo. I have tried each and every things whatever all you have discussed from the beginning of the August. My mind is also on fire due to HP Unmoddable RSA Signature. When I reading this thread, then I was very happy that today my problem is going to solve after a long time. But when I reached to the last post. Its very disappointing.

But Friends why you all experts are sleeping with you Precious mind and talents. I think We have to seach for a HP or Insyde BIOS modding expert which can help us. I have a hope today for success. I think in cumputer field nothing is impossible.

I want to add all guys of this post in the Facebook. So Please post link of your facebook pages as soon as possible. and please continue this thread with your extra ordinary minds.

And Hello Mr. Zeemanv2..............Where are you ? I think 22 Sept have been passed. NOw I think your mind get sufficient Energy and KOH for restarting this thread once again untill we are success in changing HP Pavilion g4 1303au Boot Logo.

Thanks to all guys for all previous and coming posts........

14. devdevadev

devdevadev MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2013
    Is this is useful for our Problem..............?

bios-mods.com/wiki/How_to_dump_RSA_signed_Insyde_BIOS

Can this help us ........?

Now Can Anyone Flash Modified Boot logo Bios ?

15. donovan6000

donovan6000 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    We can already decrypt RSA signed bios since we know HP's public RSA key. These kind of bios are currently unmoddable because we don't know HP's private RSA key. So we can update the bios's signature to reflect any modifications.

16. Zeemanv2

Zeemanv2 MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2013
    First of all congrats on getting ur laptop bt u r quite late for the party. I know 22 sep have long past gone bt when i returned n checked d thread thr was no new news frm others. Ive checked a couple of times for some days n when i saw no new post, i assumed that everybody has moved on, so am i.

I have tried almost everything you know and can think of. So from my experience i can say there is nothing u can do to change boot-logo for now. As Donovan mentioned we dont know Hp's private RSA key. So whatever u do, ur attempts will be in "vain", unless u take Hp's engineer who knows key as hostage n get key from him:D:D, thr is no other way.

So dont waste time n energy on something which cant be done.

17. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    if u make backup.bin with USB spi programmer u can flash it back with programmer.. but it still might ay cmos checksum error and want to recover.

18. Aft3rlife

Aft3rlife MDL Novice

Sep 1, 2013
    Hi All,

Lately tried flashing hp 1315au bios, it flashed without any problem but the splash screen was still there.. hp 1310au also has the same configuration but don't think that would help either.
    Would bricking and recovering with the 1315 or 1310 files help?? Just curious..

19. donovan6000

donovan6000 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    @Aft3rlife Those two laptops have the exact same bios update from HP, F.6A. Insyde's flasher will detect the model of the laptop and flash the corresponding rom designed for that system. That's why that bios update contains 3 different bios roms. So all you did was flash the same bios rom that was already on your computer :p

20. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i wonder if there is a system id that doesnt use the image.. maybe with NBDMIFIT we can change ?