Please help me. Something is critically wrong with my system and I am aimless.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Sandor Clegane, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Sandor Clegane

Sandor Clegane MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2017
    Hi all,
    I am running a Windows 10 Home laptop and since about a day ago I have been having strange problems. I am running into something that inhibits me from successfully running a system file check, successfully running system restore, and from unpacking the .exe from a .ZIP file. I can post the screenshots I have and will answer questions/comply with your instructions as to how to proceed. I am truly lost and spent my whole night and morning navigating through dense forums with many different answers.

Chkdsk /r runs for a few hours and completes, with no messages coming up when I sign in.

My sfc /scannow stops at 25% and tells me: 'Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.' Tried in Safe mode and normal.

My attempts at System Restore similarly failed, running for half an hour and when I log on, I get the image that I attached. Tried in Safe mode and normal.
    restore.GIF

Lastly, when attempting to unpack the Microsft Toolkit.exe from inside WinRAR/7zip, I get some strange error messages that don't allow it to run at all. Safe mode works, normal does not. I suspect something happened to my registry keys from CCleaner.
    whatthehell.GIF WHAT..GIF

I am at a loss and do not know how to proceed. I have run CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Kasperky's VirusRemovalTool, and Avast full scans. I am scared the registry cleaner on CCleaner screwed something up (I already merged the backup registry file CCleaner creates to try and undo this mess).
    Thank you!

2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    If you did not save a copy of what ccleaner deleted you may have to do in place upgrade, google how to, we have whole new OS coming in about 3 weeks so............ :p

Let that be lesson about registry cleaners, use REVCO uninstaller

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #4 lobo11, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Mar 16, 2017
    I don't suppose you created a System Image did you? If not, and Windows 10 came pre-installed on the laptop, you may can restore your system from the restoration partition. Of course that will overwrite all your personal data so you'd need to backup that to a secure location first. A USB HDD or flash drive for instance. Or, if you can hold out for a couple of weeks or so for a big update that's coming, that may fix all your woes.

If this Windows 10 is a digital entitlement upgrade from 7 or 8.1 you could use the restore partition to get back to 7 or 8.1, then do the Windows 10 free upgrade again (it was still working as of last week) and start all over.

Just take the time to backup, backup, backup.

I realize this is an unpopular method, but if I were you having your problems, I'd secure my data, wipe the disk and reinstall Windows. It's just not that big a deal to me.

5. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    When i read this it reminds me that my patch day routine (which is to always image the system with Acronis prior to checking/downloading/installing the MSU packs) isn't too over-cautious :cool2:. It's still a Windows... so never rely on its own restore abilities.

Fortunately i couldn't notice any flaws here so far ... *keeping fingers crossed.

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I think after this on Patch Tuesday I will wait a couple of days until I install patches, wait until I hear all clear, yikes :kick::sofa:

7. wazzock

wazzock MDL Senior Member

Oct 22, 2016
    i ALWAYS get updates only after 4 to 8 weeks, any bogies will have been identified and removed/fixed. :)

8. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #9 lobo11, Mar 16, 2017
    Yea, I might wait longer too, this is crazy :confused:

I'm just going to put backup on (Acronis) I am not waiting till it won't let me do that?

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I don't have any problems with updates over here :):clap:

And at wazzock, what assures you the update you install after 4-8 weeks has no problems?

10. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    slave77, think I should put backup image on ?:D

11. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Why should you ...:g:?

12. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    #13 TairikuOkami, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Most issues related to updates are caused either by the security software or by the lack of a proper maintenance.
    You could try running Wise Disk Cleanup and advanced Windows Disk Cleanup, check health and file system as well.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

if corrupted, run:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Code:
    fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:
    chkdsk /scan
    winmgmt /salvagerepository
    del "%temp%\*" /s /f /q
    del "%systemroot%\temp\*" /s /f /q
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
    cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

13. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #14 lobo11, Mar 16, 2017
  14. Sandor Clegane

Sandor Clegane MDL Novice

Mar 16, 2017
    #15 Sandor Clegane, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Bit of an update to give. A couple days ago, I couldn't run the things I mentioned or Dism Checkhealth / Dism restorehealth. I did a repair install of Windows 10 and, from what I can tell, things are up and running again. I also discovered that the .exe I was trying to unpack must have been bad, because I was able to unpack a different .exe (from WinRAR).

I ran the two DISM commands last night and they worked perfectly, no errors found.
    I am going to try to run /sfc scannow again for good measure and will post back if it fails.

15. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    This should be a last resort, while looking at the error message, by taking to applying a system reset when all other option fails. I doubt it will work in this case. However, somebody suggested in-place upgrade and it quite makes a lot of sense rather than reinstalling all your apps or programs all over again.

16. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    because my dear little dutch hdd serial killer any bad or problematical updates will have been found/identified/replaced so seeing as ive only got pubic hairs left to pull out id rather leave the old man in the jungle than a deserted beach :D

17. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    yes it is crazy so that is why i wait :cool:

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    But if you install an update that is published after those 4-8 weeks can also be a problematic one, or do you install the update that came out 4-8 weeks before?

19. wazzock

Oct 22, 2016
    when i am gathering a list of updates, once every 4 months, lets say a few days after patch tuesday, i will only get updates released up to the previous months patch day(as a minimum). i manually install them on a test paritition, restarting after each 1 if its needed. once that batch of updates have been test installed and checked for stability, then they go into my storage drive. 3125574 for 7(and prerequisites) go into updates/w7/sp2. the next batch will go into /sp3 and so on for each new batch. wazzock by choice, not by nature :cool: