please help, my motherbord's dead, flashing bios

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by devil-may-cry, Sep 28, 2014.

1. devil-may-cry

devil-may-cry MDL Junior Member

Jan 5, 2009
    hi all, please can anyone tell is there a way to rescue my motherboard
    it's a FOXCONN G31MXP !!
    i was trying to upgrade bios from win XP with flash utility then a message came there telling me that the bios is proected
    or there are different configuration or something like that

so it didn't completed

then i did something else ... i opened a .bat file included with the bios file zip
    then a command window opened and closed quickly

after i restarted my pc
    there was just like the screen is unpluged
    no signal
    but everything works
    HDD. green light in the pc ... but there's no sound the tells you that your pc is on

so please is there anyway to get the Old bios back. please can anyone sace my pc pleaase :weeping:

2. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    BIOS Fixin' - need more info

We'll be happy to help you. First, though, give us some more information. What BIOS revision where you on? What version were you going to? What tool did you use to flash your BIOS? What's the revision level of your board - usually it is printed on a tag on the side of the PCI or PCI-Express slot - the one that generally faces the bottom of the case.

Hmm, according to FoxConn, there's only one revision - v1.0. It says that it is a Socket 775 motherboard, Intel G31 chipset. And it has an Award BIOS. I'm betting you were trying to flash 861F1P08.BIN. Trying to fix a 4G limitation in 64-bit OSes. An earlier revision also mentions something about supporting PCI cards; does your system have onboard, PCI, or PCI-Express graphics?

Hmmm....

Phoenix has eaten Award, it is my understanding that Award BIOS are going away. That said, you did speak of disks reading and activity on the computer, so perhaps your BIOS boot block is OK.

To recover, Award flash appears to required a Floppy drive to boot from. You do have one right? The procedure seems to be make a 98 boot disk, and then put an awdflash command in the autoexec.bat file. Let us know, and we'll pass the correct awdflash command to be inserted into autoexec.bat. Also, you'll have to be sure that config.sys is renamed; those EMM386.EXE, HiMem.sys, and other TSRs will certainly get in the way of your flash.

3. devil-may-cry

Jan 5, 2009
    yeah you're right that's exactly what i was trying to do :D
    yes i have a floppy drive
    but the problem is when i make a bootable win98 floppy
    there's no enough space for the Bios.bin file
    how can i get out from that ?? please help :(

4. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    #4 pincushionman, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Don't panic

Okay, purge out everything unneeded. I'm also assuming that you are using a 3.5" HD 1.44 MB floppy. I don't think a 5.25" QD disk will cover it, and I'm not sure the 1.7MB DMF disks were bootable (Windows 95 format data disks, back when 95 came on 40 floppies). For a 98 disk, you should be able to strip out everything but these files below. Don't forget to toss the folders! You should be able to get by without the internationalization features. If you do need them for a non-US keyboard, I'm not sure I can help you.

Code:
    Essential Files
    ---------------
    AUTOEXEC.BAT
    MSDOS.SYS <- do not copy or move! The positioning of the file on the disk is important
    IO.SYS    <- do not copy or move! The positioning of the file on the disk is important
    AWDFLASH.EXE
    861F1P08.BIN

You may want to copy from the command line so that you can verify the copy. If you hear the retry-retry-retry sound more than once, get another disk. You'll know it if you hear it, especially in a Teac desktop drive from that era. The command (from DOS is)
    Code:
    copy /v C:\BIOS\861F1P08.BIN A:\861F1P08.BIN
    Substitute B: if your 3.5" floppy is B:

Make sure autoexec.bat contains just this one line:
    Code:
    AWDFLASH 861F1P08.BIN /cc /py /sn /r

That should do it, those files are at most 300k, which leaves about a meg for programming. If that doesn't do it, find a DOS 6.22 boot disk image, prune as above.

Once you've got that done, put the disk in, boot and pray (can't hurt, right?). Be sure to wait a good five to ten minutes if it doesn't reboot on its own. You should hear the drive seeking.

Good luck. Let us know if it works so a mod can mark the thread as solved for posterity. And if it does work, be sure to help five other people out. Put some kudos back into the karmic piggy bank. You never know when you'll need to make a withdrawal.

5. devil-may-cry

Jan 5, 2009
    well, thank you so much man for your help .... i did all these steps ... but when i turn the dead pc on ... i don't feel like it's using the floppy driver at all cuze there's no ticking no floppy drive light nothing at all
    how to make sure that the motherboard is booting to thr floppy ?

i forget to mention that the PC automatically turns itself off after minutes !!!

6. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    Okay, I'm at a loss. I hope someone smarter than me can come in here and help you. Assuming you have a PS/2 keyboard plugged in (or USB wired keyboard if not), try the key combinations to see if one of those works. Hold these down before powering up. Win+B or Win+Esc or END or ???. Assuming you have a PC speaker, one of them should make your system beep and seek the drive. However, I've heard someone else say if the BIOS write protect / virus protect was turned on, you are SOL and will have to use an EEPROM programmer to fix you BIOS - I'm in the same boat with my laptop, like a knucklehead I did not check my BIOS settings prior to flashing.

Keep us posted, please.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Step by Step:
    1. Create bootable flopy using the HP Tool and MiniDOS:
    When creating the boot Floppy, select from Folder Options to view the hidden and system files and delete or rename the file config.sys if present.
    Couse we need DOS with no additional programs that are loaded, which could interfere with the operation of the BIOS flash application.
    2. Reaname your bios to bios.bin
    3. Copy the BIOS file and flash utility to the diskette.
    4. Create an text file with any standard text editor and add the following lines :
    @ECHO OFF
    awdflash893.exe bios.bin /py/sn/f/cc/r
    and save it as autoexec.bat

5. Copy it to the bootable flopy.
    6. Start your computer and if no flopy acces occurs press and hold Ctrl+Home to force update.
    7. When there is no more activity, wait for a while and restart your computer.

9. devil-may-cry

Jan 5, 2009
    thanx urie !!! all of your steps are good and i'm so grateful and (6) was the missing peace !!!
    but why does the rufus and Hp tools don't show the floppy drive option in devices
    they show only usb flash disks !!!
    that's why i used a boot disk from bootdisk.com
    is it ok with me or i have to use a usb flash disk ??

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Rufus is for bootable usb flash drive HP tools is for the same as far as I know I do not have any computers now that have floppy drives to test and all my latest bios flashes have been done using rufus I did use HP tools a while back. The main reason to use usb flash drive is bios files got much larger and would not fit on floppy disks. If you can get files on floppy disk try that if not use rufus.

11. devil-may-cry

Jan 5, 2009
    well here's what i did
    installed a dos 6.22 disk (deleted too many unnecessary .exe's and some files)
    copied

bios.bin (latest bios "861F1P08.BIN")
    awdflash899.exe
    autoexec.bat
    -@ECHO OFF
    -awdflash899.exe bios.bin /py/sn/f/cc/r

one thing that i did to test if the disk is bootable or no is that i deleted the bios.bin file and booted the disk from another working dualbios GB motherboard
    it said loading MS-Dos then bad command or filename !!!

tht's because the bios file's deleted right ?? i guess so !!

so after that i inserted the floppy drive as it is (with the disk) to the dead pc and turned on
    -no signal for activity on floppy driver
    tried Ctrl+Home ..
    -still no signal for activity :'(

did i miss anything ?

12. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    #13 pincushionman, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Wait, you missed a step. Bad Command or File Name is a sign that awdflash899 is not recognized.

awadflash899.exe needs to be named awdflash.exe (otherwise it is awardf~1.exe - that's from the legacy DOS 6.22 days when filenames could only be 8 long + 3 extention long). Try again and good luck.

Type:
    Code:
    dir
    In DOS after booting the working machine to make sure your filenames are what they should be. You can hold down <SHIFT> IIRC to avoid actually running autoexec.bat, but it is likely safer to rename BIOS.BIN to something else (BIOS.BAK?)

13. devil-may-cry

Jan 5, 2009
    yeah you're totally right !! thank you
    now it's showing me a awdflash instruction instead of Bad Command or File Name !!
    but still no signal on the floppy drive
    i have 8 GB and 17 GB flashes !! can i use theme
    will they work with a g31mxp moboard with award bios ??

14. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    #15 pincushionman, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    Other things to try

Hmm... Is that a USB Floppy, or a floppy on the mainboard? I'd been assuming on the mainboard. If on the mainboard, does it do the floppy drive seek at boot, or does the light stay lit always? If the light is lit always, flip the end on the drive around, you've got it hooked up backwards. I used to do it all the time. Also, make sure that there's a twist in the end near the drive and not the motherboard. That twist says, "This is A:, in whom I am well pleased. He may boot the system."

As for the USB, give them a whirl. I didn't mention them because I wasn't sure of the age of that board. But make sure you remove the HD first. In fact, make sure the floppy or USB is the only thing plugged in when you do the boot key sequence that the Commodore (urie) mentioned. Even remove the Ethernet cable, or it may be trying to PXE (pixie?) boot. Failure to do that it may skip reading the disk or USB because the HD or Ethernet PXE has priority. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that bit much sooner.

Good luck, keep us posted.

15. devil-may-cry

Jan 5, 2009
    #16 devil-may-cry, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    (OP)
    it's on the mainboard (floppy drive)
    no the light on the drive never lit at all, it only sounds a lil tick when i hit the power button !!!
    nothing is plugged in the mainboard except the switch on/off and reset buttons cables, energy cables (2), Ram, processor, and a keyboard !!
    ok i'll give a lil try again !! thank you so much guys for your help i really appreciate ^_^

16. devil-may-cry

Jan 5, 2009
    something i was wondering wbout it what does it mean a usb wake up jumper or bootblock jumper
    there's something about usb wake up jumper here !
    Untitled.png

17. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    I think USB wake means that if the setting in the BIOS is turned on, a USB keyboard or mouse could power on the computer. The bootblock jumper means something different. Some folks say that you can short some pins and fix your BIOS - but only if you have a dual BIOS system, as far as I can tell.

I'll defer to urie on those topics. Sorry I cannot help any more than that :(

18. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    All is not lost, though. Other recovery methods include

1) Hot swap. Boot to DOS on a machine with your motherboard, take the BIOS out, stick your BIOS in flash, done. Optionally switch back. That's how the computer stores used to do it in the old days, instead of spending $500 on an EEPROM burner (or using the university's EEPROM burner to fix things :))

2) Manually programming EEPROM with your BIOS. It depends on your chip, but there's an EZP2013 box + adapter (about $40), or a SOFI SP8-A universal programmer (about $50). donovan6000 recommended a gZut DreamProII (can't post link, see page 2 of Hp G62-a70sm bricked in this forum) - it appeared to cost $20. As always, before you buy make sure that they have an adapter for your BIOS type and that your kind of EEPROM chip can be programmed by their unit.

Assuming that method 2 works, just to be safe, I'd reflash from DOS on the machine to make sure all your BIOS was fine.

I'm going to try the same with my laptop. Good luck, however you try to fix it.