Please Help... tomorrow I'm going on vacations and need to leave a working IMAGE..

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kwanbis, Oct 23, 2014.

1. kwanbis

kwanbis MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    So, since it seems I can not usw WDS, can you explain how you do it? Thanks.

2. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    #22 Threat, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    I use WDS on a Windows Server which is a virtual machine. Does not need to be high spec. Install 2003+ in as a VMware player virtual machine and make it a DC for a domain such as SYSTEMSETUP. It does not need any member PC's just a single server domain with DHCP and WDS on the same server and connect it to a switch.

3. kwanbis

Jul 29, 2009
    I think you are confusing who to respond to. I would love to use WDS, but I have no Windows server to do it. So, it would have to be the USB setup. By the way, I just need to leave a "finished method", not the 100 machines imaged.

4. kwanbis

Jul 29, 2009
    But I would have to configure a Windows server, dhcp, etc, etc, etc, etc. I never use Windows Server, I only use AIX or Linux. I have no idea. Would LOVE to, but it seems to me it is much more complicated?

5. compstuff

compstuff MDL Senior Member

Jan 16, 2011
    I agree with you and frankly there are so many missing pieces of info here that I think he should try your WDS method

6. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    It's not more complicated. it's very easy. Take Windows 2012 R2 - even the evaluation version for 180 days will do for now. Add the ADDS role, run the promote to make it a Domain Controller (new domain in new forrest). It will install DNS in the process. Add DHCP and authorise/create scope. Install WDS, add boot image, make capture image. capture image to WIM and it will upload it to WDS for you. Deploy to 100 pc's. Profit.

7. compstuff

Jan 16, 2011
    #27 compstuff, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Threat is giving you very good advice and even my integration methods use virtual machines so its not a simple as it was when I was doing everything in XP.

Deploying 2012 is incredibly simple!!! You can honestly get this up and running in no time at all

8. kwanbis

Jul 29, 2009
    I would try to, but don't think I have the knowledge. It looks like Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard Edition with SP2 is the smallest one? Or does it has to be enterprise?

Also, I assume DC is domain controller? And DHCP can be the same virtual machine? And finally, if it does not needs any connected pc, why would I need it on a switch? I'm asking because this is a BANK setup, and I can not deploy anything without bank authorization.

9. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
  10. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Yes DC is a domain controller, And yes you install it all on one PC for this setup. The switch is so you can plug the physical PC's you want to deploy this to onto this LAN. I'm suggesting you keep this separate from you main LAN for simplicity. 1 physical PC running VMware player with this server image.

11. kwanbis

Jul 29, 2009
    OK, so my question is. Can I usw WDS with USB drives? I can not install anything or touch the network because this is a BANK setup and they won't let me. So, if I can use WDS with USB dirves, great. If not, it is of no use for me.

12. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    What do you mean with WDS drive. You can create the virtual PC and store it on a USB drive - although the performance would not be good.

I suggest a standalone PC running a VM (containing Windows Server Eval - so no licence issue) connected to a switch of it's own to plug the PC's into. That way your not connecting anything to your corporate LAN. The reason for the virtual PC to contain it instead of directly on a physical PC is just so you can prepare it now at home, and take the deployment server image in on USB and copy it to the standalone PC + switch there.

13. compstuff

Jan 16, 2011
    Kwanbis... not trying to be sarcastic but I am a little speechless at some of the things you are mentioning. Do you work for the bank or do you work for someone that is tech support for the bank? Again no disrespect but may I ask where your located?

14. kwanbis

Jul 29, 2009
    What I mean is, if I can use WDS to create USB Drives that would capture and later deploy the images, I'm all for it. I can NOT use the network to send unaouthorized packages, so I can not connect WDS to the machines. It has to be a fisical thing. And I can not connect a switch there because of (stupid) bank policies. So. I can only use USBs or DVDs to do the deployment, independant of the method.

15. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Have to say I'm a little concerned about the fact he has this 'task' to perform with a) no resources and b) no time

I'm also surprised with it been a bank it would be allowed to bring in anything from home.

Something very lax here and poor management by his boss by the sounds of things.

16. kwanbis

Jul 29, 2009
    That is material for another talk, but yes, I agree with you.

17. kwanbis

Jul 29, 2009
    Problem happens when management have very poor understanding of IT, and they believe they are like gods.

18. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    No WDS streams over the LAN but that's why I said use a separate PC with a switch so your creating a standalone deployment LAN with no physical connection to your real LAN so no conflicts with services such as DHCP. That way your not breaking company policy.

Use this standalone LAN to install the PC's then physically remove the PC's from this lan and connect them to the real LAN.

19. compstuff

Jan 16, 2011
    Kwanbis try to help us both understand some vital items here... are you saying that you can't take a SEPARATE switch that is NOT connected to your network in anyway and plug the laptops into it?

20. kwanbis

Jul 29, 2009
    Besides the complications, I don't have a swtich ready to use. So, I would have to research another way. :(