Plugged in not charging

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mysparetime, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Mysparetime

Mysparetime MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2011
    Hello, I recently bought a new battery due to the fact that my old one died. However it will not charge for some reason. Sometimes the laptop tells me it is Plugged in, charging 0% but it stays at 0, other times it just tells me that it is plugged in and not charging.

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Bad battery, dirty or corroded battery/computer/ charger terminals, or even bad charger. Here in my location I can buy a simple voltage tester for about $3. Maybe you can do the same and at least check to see if the charger is working.

Will the charger power the computer with no battery in the computer? If it will the problem is battery related, If it won't you have a charger related problem or a problem in the computer's internal power circuitry.

3. Mysparetime

Mysparetime MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2011
    Yeah it powers the computer without a battery in, Also when I get the light that indicates that the battery is charging (Its not it just tells me that it is SADFACE) that tells me that it has nothing to do with the OS, So the whole, delete the battery driver wouldn't work :/ I shall check with my friends laptop, it has the same battery and we use the same charger to double check whether or not its the charger or battery :/

4. jcc2

jcc2 MDL Member

Mar 23, 2010
    Some laptop/battery manufacturers (SONY is one of them for their VAIO line) has a check function built into the BIOS of the laptop to verify the battery is an original battery and not a replacement.

Check with the manufacturer of the new battery...They might have a special BIOS mod that needs to be installed in order to use their battery.

Good luck !!!

JCC2

5. stream

stream MDL Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Don't be too sure about your assumption that it has nothing to do with the OS! :nono:

I recently experienced exactly the same problem & a clean install solved the issue for good. :cool:

Uninstalling & reinstalling drivers did not work for me either.

win 7 is pretty messed up compared to good ole' XP. :eek:

6. stream

stream MDL Member

Nov 5, 2010
    A little more clarity is in order!

What I meant was NOT that the condition of a battery is dependent on the OS.

What I meant was that the "Plugged in not charging" symptom is sometimes (though not ALWAYS) because of a corrupted installation of the ACPI driver & that uninstalling & reinstalling it will not solve the problem.

Again as with a lot of windoze ailments, sometimes (though not ALWAYS), only a clean install of win 7 will solve the problem.

Hope I came across more clearly this time. :)

7. Brainsuck

Brainsuck MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2009
    #7 Brainsuck, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...