Port KDE 5.12 to Windows?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by LiteOS, Mar 9, 2018.

1. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #1 LiteOS, Mar 9, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    What skill sets need to make it happened ?
    can the taskbar of it replace explorer taskbar?
    meaning opening any app will appear in the taskbar?

2. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi TinMan how are you dude :) thanks for link I can read and try this application (Kate Editor) when I have some time :good3:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
  5. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    Linux in a VM.. . . Job done.

6. anonywimp

anonywimp MDL Novice

Jul 15, 2010
    I believe cygwin already includes KF5 ports, maybe plasma too. In the early 4.x era KDE also was also ported natively to windows IIRC; but I doubt that survived as I don't think it was ever mainlined. Cygwin is hella slow for huge gui frameworks like KF5 that do lots of fork()ing, though. It won't be a fantastic experience and on any laptop-type hardware, it might well be insufferable.

I suspect the best result possible would be to put KDE into "subsystem for linux", and run cygwin X11, cobbling together existing hacks from the interweb to un-break various frameworks that don't work well in SFL. Probably to have a seamless experience, several things would need to be compiled manually with patches, and hundreds of little powershell/cmd and bash scripts would be needed to create consistent file-type handling results, and such, between desktops; debian-ish might be a good choice of distribution if that is available for SFL.

Now that Microsoft has finally managed to make their shell/explorer feel slow and confusing, I think KDE is probably the "best" DE available for computer-literate control-freaks (me). But under SFL+cygX11 I doubt it would feel nearly as nice. If someone made an open source project to integrate all these components, and kept at it for a number of years, I suspect it could eventually evolve into a pretty slick shell replacement.

Digression: I feel like the Windows shell experience (although far more stable and maintainable today) has pretty much gone down-hill in every iteration since Windows 7. Indeed, I don't really think the Windows NT shell ever fully caught up with Windows 98SE / ME, in the sense that, when it managed not to crash, Windows 9x was incredibly snappy and had extremely low-latency drivers, which all loaded at boot. That, combined with the simpler, more monolithic explorer/shell32, made for an incredibly "fast"-feeling desktop shell. Perhaps that is simply not achievable in modern operating systems which have so many layers of "nerf" between meatspace and metal, but I miss the feeling that my computer could respond faster than I could control the mouse/keyboard. These days, I only seem to experience when I'm playing video games. Anyhow I think the Windows ecosystem is overdue for a really solid shell replacement!

7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009