Possible to hack MCE into Enterprise?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Chinny, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Chinny

Chinny MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2009
    Seems like it would be possible, even if it means using a resource hack to stop the version check.

Has anyone been working on this yet?

2. myhken

myhken Experienced MDL Tester

Feb 28, 2010
    Why work on this when Windows 8 pro has all the features of Enterprise and will include Media Center free from 26.October?

3. vandetta

vandetta MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    Wait is that true? I thought enterprise had certain features that were left out of pro.

I use xbmc anyway...

4. Z3Rr0_C0ol

Z3Rr0_C0ol MDL Novice

May 11, 2012
    U are right, the following Features are exclusive by the Enterprise edition

AppLocker, BrancheCache, DirectAccsess, Windows8-To-Go, RemoteFX in Virtualization, and ability to Side-Loading of WinRT apps without using the Microsoft Store.

The only thing which is not supported, is the installation of Media Center. But as said, there are alternatives.

5. Xtreem

Xtreem MDL Junior Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Indeed enterprise would be better, however i have a version of Pro from DreamSpark so i cant really complain for free :)

6. unrandomsam

unrandomsam MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2010
    You can sideload Metro Apps on Enterprise without getting an extra key. (MS hasn't detailed whether they will charge the standard $99 a year for one for people using Pro). Or what process you will have to go through.

7. sjaak327

sjaak327 MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2012
    Onky a few, branchcache and direct access spring to mind. Xbmc whilst nice is NOT a replacement for Wmc, as it cannot even do pvr and live tv out of the box. For tuner cards nothing beats WMC.

8. TigerTier

TigerTier MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2011
    #9 TigerTier, Sep 15, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
    How exactly did you manage to install the Media Center package on Windows 8 Enterprise (notwithstanding of the fact that it won't start afterwards)? Does it need to be extracted from another edition, or is it already included with the Enterprise edition?

The background is this: I'm not interested in the Media Center itself but the DVD/MPEG-2 support brought along by it. Or do you happen to know of an alternate way of activating DVD/MPEG-2 support as the decoder DLL ("msmpeg2vdec.dll") is already there in principle (but only registered for MPEG-1 and H.264, or some such thing)? (No, I don't want to install some third-party codec, and neither do I want to use Windows 8 Pro.)

9. TigerTier

TigerTier MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2011
    Sorry, I don't see what that's got to do with my inquiry?! 100, care to reply?

10. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Yea, but does anything else have cable card support?

11. Chinny

Chinny MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2009
    I prefer MCE on my office computer bc I have a Mediacenter in my entertainment room (Ceton Tuner).

I've used XBMC since the "X" stood for X-Box, but I don't think it categorizes and parses all of the metadata from my recordings.

12. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    #13 100, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Yes, I had to extract the files from the WMC edition. It's not present in Enterprise.

It appears the usage of the MPEG2 decoder is governed by the license policies. Each SKU has its set of licensed settings, such as
    Code:
    <sl:policyInt name="msmpeg2vdec-MPEG2VideoDecoderV3InSKU" attributes="override-only">0</sl:policyInt>
    for the decoder.
    This value is set to "0" in Professional-ppdlic.xrm-ms, and "1" in ProfessionalWMC-ppdlic.xrm-ms. There has to be some component that performs the actual policy lookups and decides whether to load the MPEG2 decoder or not, but I don't know what that is.

Similarly, Media Center is probably going to check for the "MediaCenter-EnabledSku"=1 policy (which is only present in ProfessionalWMC-ppdlic.xrm-ms) and fail startup if that value is not present.

Attached Files:

13. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    there are also certain other license values. i tried some mixing with licenses but in the end it doesn't really work because of sppsvc checks.

I'm not fully aware if MediaCenter-EnabledSku value handles the launch of ehome/wmc, but if it does, than you're screwd.
    i tried mixing skus but it ended up in losing activation at all.

take a look at product policy editor (my idea, but kost programmed id) it let's you edit all values. than you can mix around as much as you want. but spp has to be disabled. i would recommend prowmc edition and import the enterprise features in this build. this would be somehing like all features edition than.