Possible Windows 8 Exploit (Full Activation with Media Center Pack key)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Diatech, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Diatech

Diatech MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2012
    Hello;

First and foremost I want to say that this is theoretical. I do not know if it will work, and am only posting to see your opinion on this. If you want to test it out for yourself, more power to you. Please let us know how it goes.

Consider the following :

1. Windows 8 does not come with a "trial" period the same way Win7 did. However, when you create an AIO .ISO, this 30 day "trial" period functionality is restored.

2. "Adding new features" by means of a Media Center Pack replaces the original key used.

Now, Assume we are dealing with a fresh Windows 8 Pro install (from an AIO ISO) that is currently in the 30 day "trial" period. The key used would be a trial key (this is assumed, please correct me if this is NOT the case, as this is untested).

If we "Added New Features" and typed in the key from a WMC Pack, that key would overwrite the trial key, and fully activate the OS for $9.99.

^This is half suggestion and half question. I haven't tested and don't know too much about Windows activation. If anyone has some insights as to whether or not that would work (or why it would not work if it wouldn't), it would be appreciated. I think something similar happened with KMS activators when the WMC pack was being given away for free, but again, I don't have any of the answers :p

Thoughts, Ideas, and experiment results welcome!

~Diatech

The post is meant for educational purposes only. I am not liable of any illegal act performed by any user as a direct or indirect result of this information.

2. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Not actually an exploit since it was approved by M$, and since you really do not need internet to get WMC...
    install windows 8 or 8.1 without internet... and that bypasses the need for a M$ Login, then simply add your WMC KEY ( either with add features or slmgr -ipk) and
    you instantly Windows 8.0 or 8.1 ProWMC.... fact not fiction, no thoughts, no ideas, no expermient needed... just FACTS.

3. Diatech

Diatech MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2012

That's great. The price of Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center just dropped to 10 bucks. For that price, I wouldnt mind actually playing/

4. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Not a fact at all, I think you didn't read Diatech's post carefully and in fact Diatech's idea won't work at all. You can't use the Add Feature functionality to add the WMC upgrade unless Windows is already activated.

5. SkaterStu

SkaterStu MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2012
  6. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. SkaterStu

SkaterStu MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2012
    Not too sure who that is, this method is on a bunch of other sites in different context. One day it hit me straight in the face on MDL and various other sites that it was possible with that GVLK key and it worked aha :tea:

8. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    Sure, if you activate Win 8 Pro first (for example using KMS), then you can Add Feature. Note that this is not true for 8.1 Pro, where if you activate with KMS, you can't Add Feature.

9. SkaterStu

SkaterStu MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2012
    Well it works for me. Had this saved on a storage drive and I didn't say it were 110% full proof at all, sometimes I wonder why I bothered to try help. Just play around with vmware if you're paranoid.:D:aerobueke::D