Post SP1 Install - Comments & Observations

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jasqid, Jan 16, 2011.

1. jasqid

jasqid MDL Member

Feb 10, 2008
    I thought this new thread would be appropriate for folks that have installed SP1 and wanted to make a comment about their install experience.

I installed SP1 RTM on 2 laptops and 1 tower. I have noticed all 3 take longer to boot. It's not so much the boot process, but more so after the password logon, it takes longer for windows to be "ready" and respond after loading services into memory.

Anyone else?

2. OvaryActing

OvaryActing MDL Senior Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I tested a few VM's of SP1.

I already had 1 VM of Server 2008 R2 that i updated using a stand alone exe sp1 wave0. It upgraded fine. no problems and stayed uODIN kept it activated. No bugs, no troubles. That VM is doing great.
    I had one VM of win7 ultimate x86 and one vm of Ultimate x64. Upgraded both with the stand-alones from wave0. Both retained activation using very graphical loader. Both had folder rename bug after sp1 was installed. fixed the registry and both are going fine now.
    I did 6 vm's of win7 enterprise VL x64 SP1 integrated by MS. This is were the real troubles began.
    1st enterprise vm install went fine, activated with hal7600 v1.2. Activated but failed when checked with WAT and legitcheck. No uninstall option with hal7600 1.2 :( VM deleted.
    2nd enterprise vm was slow to boot, slow to activate with loader, and when install guest additions of virtual box, the system would crash on reboot. Deleted VM
    3rd enterprise vm was slow to boot. didnt bother to activate. Deleted VM
    4th enterprise installed fine, bootup fast, guest additions caused crash on reboot again. Deleted VM
    5th enterprise installed fine, but up slow, deleted VM.
    6th enterprise installed fine, boots up nice and fast, activated. not gonna bother with guest additions with vbox.
    I think I need to update vbox if there i s a new build within the past 45 days.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jbysmith

jbysmith MDL Junior Member

Feb 8, 2008
    On my systems anyway, aside from the slightly different build number I'm not really noticing any differences whatsoever, which is good since this is primarily just a hotfix rollup. Benchmarks were more or less identical, again no surprise. First couple restarts were slower, but that's just because of all the updated files, Readyboost hasn't done its thing yet. A few minutes later, restart times weren't any different from before.

4. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I noticed a reduced harddisk performance when moving or copying data with explorer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. thethingy

thethingy MDL Senior Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I think its slightly faster, blue tooth v3 was meant to be in it?, how do you check?, same with usb3 support

6. Trinket

Trinket MDL Senior Member

Feb 20, 2010
    #6 Trinket, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
    @ OvaryActing: There's a new VirtualBox (v4.0) out since a couple of weeks. Runs fine.

I'm not noticing any particular increase or decrease in performance after SP1 (I integrated it with Win7 x64 RTM and installed from that). I do notice that my cpu overclock (which is at 4ghz) is showing up as 5.04Ghz under Computer->Properties... (yeah, right!) so that is not correct there. I tried several different clocks and it keeps showing the CPU frequency at around 5ghz. Running AIDA64 (Everest) it shows my correct frequencies, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Someone brought up that SP1 (being kinda old already) does in fact not contain all updates that your system might have had when you were following (for example) the SoLoR repository, and that actually certain updates included in SP1 are actually older versions of updates already out there. So it is possible that in certain areas we are seeing old problems arise again or even lessen performance, so the wait will be to see those purported post SP1 updates come through so that we'll be running ahead again :D

7. Anakunda

Anakunda MDL Senior Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Don't see any noticeable system changes, except build number. The setup went flawlessly, just I was surprised I got no prompt to reboot.:confused:

8. jacques abidal

jacques abidal MDL Novice

Nov 27, 2010
    Performed clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate x86 on VM. Then applied SP1, all went well. Then launched Loader 1.9.5, got 7 activated.
    However, was not offered to download language packs when checking for updates on-line. Compatibility problem SP1 with current language packs?

9. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Yes new sp brings new langpacks. Sp1 also updates all the installed languages that are in that sp build. But if you first install sp1 then the languages you don't have installed also don't get updated. So you'll need new langpacks with the language updates from sp1 in it also.

10. Tunyd

Tunyd MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2009
    So you have to apply language pack before sp1? Tried sp1( wave 1) in vmware on english windows, and no language packs on update and not able to directly install language pack