Potentially bricked my Acer Timeline M5-481TG Laptop

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by pyotr_lb, Jan 22, 2014.

1. pyotr_lb

pyotr_lb MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2014
    #1 pyotr_lb, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
    My laptop blue screened while I was updating my bios with the drivers I got from acer's support website. I tried to turn it off, but it wouldn't respond. I decided to drain the laptop batteries and try to boot it up again. When I managed to start my laptop, I was met with a black screen. F2 did nothing. The back lighting on the keyboard lit up and the fan was spinning, but there was nothing on the display. I attempted to solve this problem by flashing my bios with the usb drive thing, but I can't seem to find the .fd file for my bios. When I extract the files, all I get is this:

Ding.wav
    FlsHook.exe
    FlsHookDll.dll
    FWUpdLcl.exe
    InsydeFlash.exe
    iscflash.dll
    iscflash.sys
    iscflashx64.sys
    platform.ini
    xerces-c_2_6.dll

Any help? I'd rather not have a 800 dollar brick that lasted only one measly year (warranty just expired).

Edit: My main issue is that I am unable to find/extract the .fd file.

2. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pyotr_lb

pyotr_lb MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2014
    Someone directed me to that link earlier, but I still have issues with finding the proper .fd file. All I have is the files that I have listed above.

4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  5. pyotr_lb

pyotr_lb MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2014
    #5 pyotr_lb, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    (OP)
    Ah my bad: I forgot to mention that I have windows 7.
    The acer website description for 2.22: "BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades)".
    Using a bios for windows 8 when I have windows 7 would create problems yes?
    I believe the latest one for windows 7 was 1.15

I'm also curious about how he got that. Is there something on this forum that could explain to me how you get that file? Thanks!

6. pyotr_lb

pyotr_lb MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2014
    Hey guys. My acer is still bricked. I followed the instructions multiple times, but the usb drive never blinks and the laptop doesn't restart. I notice that a blue led is blinking in the front of my computer (supposedly this means that crisis mode is activated), but the usb has no activity.

I noticed that the usb drive was renamed "HDD_Boot". Should I remove my optical drive and/or HDD?

Thanks

7. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #8 nexus76, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    I remember the trick was to take out the battery and unplug the power supply,
    then press the button combo while pluggin in only the powersupply with usb stick holding the recovery image attached.

Which combo do you use?
    I'm not sure anymore, but the combo on AOD150 was something like 'Windows+B' ... it was also insyde, use USB1.0 or USB2.0, not USB3.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. pyotr_lb

pyotr_lb MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2014
    #9 pyotr_lb, Jan 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    (OP)
    Yeah those are the instructions that were in the read_me file.

I tried windows+b, fn+esc, and fn+b. I figured out that fn+esc is the one that works because the led in the front of my laptop blinks on and off. When I hold fn+esc and turn on the computer, the light blinks. If I use something other than fn+esc, the light is just a solid blue.

Is there anything specific about the USB? Does it have to be FAT? FAT32?

What if my USB ports are only 3.0? Is it okay if I use a 2.0 USB to plug into a 3.0 usb port?

Edit: I have an idea that maybe I can't flash upwards?

I can PM you the default bios (1.05). It wouldn't let me post a link unless I had 20 posts or more.

If you don't mind making another flash image, I'd appreciate it. However, I'm getting really distraught here. I don't know what to do. I feel like I should just take it as a lesson to not update my bios if I don't need to.

9. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
  10. pyotr_lb

pyotr_lb MDL Novice

Jan 22, 2014
    I'm afraid my laptop only has 2 usb ports and they are both 3.0. I've tried both ports with two different sticks. I've renamed the bios file to Z09.fd and Z09.f . This may be a lost cause.

Just to clarify, is the USB supposed to flash when it starts flashing the bios or when it's done flashing the bios?

I also managed to strip a wire on my battery so I don't think I'll be able to sell it.