PotPlayer vs vlc, mpc-hc, splash, kmplayer, smplayer, mpc-be, mvp & mvp-easy

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Deleted member 1139657, Feb 22, 2022.

You are absolutely correct :)
    There must a be super dooper like button too on MDL so that user can click it for great replies.

1. 1. Proper HDR is hardware 12bit.
    Wrong, proper HDR doesn't exit.
    Each manufacturer tend to it's monopoly.

2. MPC-BE out-of-the-box is looking great because it uses an evolved version of the MPC Video Decoder with fixes for the HDR issue.
    Obviously you didn't even try an 4K HDR demo or a 4k HDR Movie on mpc-wanna be player.

3. MPC-HC out-of-the-box does not have HDR fixes - it's kept at float by a single dev, so understandable. But it does recommend using madVR for HDR.
    Like i said madVR is for persons who have movies downloaded with internet download accelerator from youtube or something, and 1080p fast encoded quality with 1 mbs bitrate !
    And don't have support in HW like my potato pc for HW (Up/Down scale, HEVC 10Bit, Colors, Processing/Sharp...blah,blah)

4. PotPlayer always had an abundance of settings. But was never praised for speed or quality because it did not offer either out of the box.
    While I did use it a few times years ago, after being caught "phoning" home and showing ads even outside that little box, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole now.

Right so that was a "few years ago"..
    So based on those few years ago, you know the present, right?!
    Btw it's a program called FIREWALL, you can use it to block certain programs alike and more potplayer doesn't have since 2021 the ads in it.

I talked about scaling and how resolution matters in the first post, won't repeat it.
    Wrong

But it's funny how the "copy-paste" MPC-BE scaling options, later "appeared" verbatim in PotPlayer.

Wrong

In any case, when you're using a potato, you are obligated to use advanced settings that pretty much any player invites you to use them.
    It's quite a different thing to downscale vs. upscale, and most players are optimized and configured to upscale (but would prefer to do neither, i.e. the bison using it to have a suitable display).

Wrong

Forgot to touch on the power usage.. WTF do you expect from a intel onboard 2015?
    1st gen H265 meh support, fixed decoder stuck in time with all the bugs.
    Wrong

1'st you don'k know about Tone Mapping and what is HDR exactly !
    Now my "potato laptop" is 2016, and I love my potato pc, 4.4/4.6 watt on 4K HDR Movie, and 2.6/2.7 watt on 1080p bluray 10bit 6ch hevc.
    What's your power consumption ?!

2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    What kind of response are you expecting when all you do is shout Wrong Wrong Wrong?
    Out of touch but anal about it instead of double-checking the data. Nothing to be discussed, maybe you should have stuck with your unchallenged blog. Bye.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Don't live in a world dated "few years ago" !

Do testings, your's and bring your's real/trusted testings here, up-to-date !
    Make your "PC" sweat with filtering quality of wanna be players, some 4K HDR Demos, do the colors too.

We might all have to gain from more tests !
    It will be better for many of us !

4. drew84

drew84 MDL Expert

Mar 13, 2014
    as stated previously your assessment of MPC-HC is entirely misleading, why you may ask
    on setting up MPC-HC you are asked (in the options) to select your video renderer (this choice should be based on your specific needs... in this case 4K HDR)
    you chose Enhanced Video Renderer (Custom Presenter), wrong choice... reason: No option available for HDR Passthrough (if the graphics card isn't being given the required HDR Metadata.. how is it supposed to know what to render/output?). Hence madVR
    If you can't be bothered to setup software properly that you are going to assess/review, it would in fact, make your observations at the very least biased.

My opinion... Potplayer produces a highly artificial (overly saturated) colour output (much like the pictures presented here)... not real, not accurate.

My kit (getting old now) x399 motherboard, threadripper CPU, high end nVidia GPU, 55" OLED (Calibrated) 4K HDR TV... MPC-HC (Properly Setup) does it for me

5. Great, i am aware of that. i know evr/evr cp the between(s).
    Yes i didn't use external image CPU based enhancers, like madVR. Since i wrote that i only test what the wanna be players have to offer. sort of speak.
    That means, what ever the respective wanna be player came with his own built in functions !
    So i'm afraid that the only function or should i say the best one available is not for me but the mpc-hc best offer is evr-cp !
    So you're mistaken !

6. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #27 AveYo, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    #30 Dark Dinosaur, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  8. Dark Dinosaur

Dark Dinosaur X Æ A-12

Feb 2, 2011
    Same s**t in different name.
    I see not any major different.
    (complex spelling, too much for me)

9. xCyBx

xCyBx MDL Senior Member

Aug 6, 2018
    I'm tried k-lite mega codec pack={mpc-hc, mpc-be}, km player, gom player, wmp, potplayer, But at last I found my favorite app.
    Guess who? It's potplayer with ffmpeg codecs (special codecs for potplayer) :cool:

10. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2015
    I have been using the older version of Potplayer for a very long time now because of it connecting to the Internet and showing Ads in the newer versions. Is it still the case with the newer version or the ads gone?

11. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
  12. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^
    yep same here...

13. fryquez

fryquez MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2015
    #40 fryquez, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2022