Power Consumption with Windows 8 & 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pisthai, Jan 5, 2014.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's known for technicans already for some time!!

Nevertheless, that didn't get involved in the case of coasie because he's using not an computer as desktop, it's an Server instead. As Server, the configuration differs a bit there's mainly no use of highend graphic cards, which the one which need most power of all internal equipment.

In the coasie's case, the CPU (Intel i5-3450) is beside the MB the one with the most power consumption, idel at 63Watt and in work up to 120Watt or even a bit more. The rest of the needed power goes to SATA HDD's, SSD, graphic (which I assume is low-end) and rest of equipment. So as I wrote already, the power consumption will be mainly 280-350Watt!

To find out how much really is used, just place an Ampere Meter in the L line of the incoming AC connection and multiply the Amp used with the AC Voltage and you've consumed Watt's! And that's the power with is counting and for what you pay!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I would explain, but I don't care for your tone.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You mean this one:

or was you mean my own question about the PSU's?

My answer was in regard about the power consumption of the CPU's! That the MB also need it's own power and all card, modules attached to it, isn't forgotten!

Please read my other post, all answers are there!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. segobi

segobi MDL Addicted

Jul 14, 2009
    Well you asked a silly question and got a silly answer.
    Im actually a hardware engineer :D So I know what im talking about. Have fun with your ampmeters :D:D

5. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    aida64 gives some info this is a fx 8120 only this forum on chrome and foobar2000 player

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The real silly answer would have been: ALL extra equipment added to the same PSU which includes also extra drives like BD/CD/DVD/Tape, each single UDB Flash drive and and and! And not PCI and PCI-X Cards only!

And by the way, I know some Hardware Engineers who didn't know how to handle an Ampere Meter and neither know how to calculate the real used power! Also, and Hardware Engineer didn't need to know something about electric, they could work with completely different materials.

If you had told that you carry an VDE Certificate or so, I would have understand and also expected that you know what I was talking about!

7. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
    #27 taviruni, Apr 28, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    The way you are calculating Watts is OK for DC, the correct way to calculate Watts in AC is:

W= V*I*pf

Where:

W=Watts, V=Volts, I=Amps. pf=Cos Teta (Always < 1) and in standard Computer Power Sources it may go from 0.5 to 0.9 depending under which ATX spec. they are build, (pretty much same range of values apply to UPS).

Best Regards

I'm a Mechanical and Electrical Engineer

8. Coasie

Coasie MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2009
    The power of Intel over AMD...power efficiency.
    The file server only has a 200w power supply in it.
    I've never seen it draw above the upper 80watt range. Measured with a kill-a-watt

The storage drives (WD Green) when spun up only add a few watts. The main OS drive is an SSD. 8GB low power RAM all on an ITX motherboard.
    30-40watt idle guaranteed. 280watt is crazy in the year 2014

9. my2cents

my2cents Guest

#29 my2cents, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
    Agreed! It was well worth the $19.99 investment. Just plug er' in and read it. No engineering degree required. Works very well for those without reliable meters (or no meters at all) . In addition, I use it to monitor all appliances (periodically) just to make sure they aren't heading for an electrical fritz. One more thing, it will also calculate the actual cost "automatically" if you are aware of your provider's charges per kWh and add them to the meter's profile.

kwh.gif

10. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    That's one thing I've always hated about AMD systems. They draw way too much power for not that much performance.
    Oh well... we get what we pay for, I guess. All the extra heat when trying to overclock is a peeve of mine so I don't even bother.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    200Watt PSU?! That looks like a Dinosaur PC like an 80286/386! Or it's an so called Book size Computer with everything build in?! But for sure NOT an Real File Server! Maybe you talk about an machine used for to share files over the LAN?

Regarding Power efficiency Intel over AMD, the FX CPU Series has better and lower power consumption than an Intel CPU! Just compare the the FX4100 with 43W idle with your Inter i5-3450 with 63W idle! That's a difference of 20W or near 50% more than the FX 4100 is using!

I mainly use AMD Servers (real Server!!) and had never one down because of CPU problems while every Intel Server I'd used were down more than once!

The WD Hdd uses up to 3.3W if it's an Green one. But WD anyway has low power consumption compare to Seagate etc!

Which ITX MB you're using: Mini, Nano, Pico, Mobile? All of this MB's having an build in CPU! and that machine are designed for low power consumption but to run as Server!

12. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
    Good info, sounds like a most have