Preparing Windows 8.1 for the possible disaster

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jcarerra, Jul 4, 2014.

1. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    OK, that helps a lot! Now I just have to figure out how to get that recovery disk (now knowing it is WinRE) to boot. Currently it doesn't.

2. wingzerois

wingzerois MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2008
    Is the disk formatted as FAT32 or NTFS? EFI for the most part won't be able to boot if the files are on NTFS, not unless you do some multi partitioning voodoo on said flash drive.

3. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    Do you mean the laptop disk or the recovery flash drive?
    C: on the laptop is NTFS
    Three other partitions = who knows.

Recovery Flash drive FAT32

4. wingzerois

wingzerois MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2008
    #24 wingzerois, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    I had meant the recovery flash, since that's what wasn't booting for you.

Can you please open a command prompt window, navigate to the flash drive, then do dir /a
    Also if you can do cd boot
    poke around in there, do dir /a if dir doesn't show anything, I'd like to know if there is an EFI folder in there or not.

5. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    Yes, there is.

6. wingzerois

wingzerois MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2008
    Then it really should be bootable, I'm not sure why any of these tools aren't producing bootable media for you...

You can try to write the bootfiles again using the BCDBOOT tool.

Give this syntax a shot (where X is your flash drive letter, and L can be switched to any other languages you specifically want):

bcdboot c:\windows /L en-us /s X: /f ALL

7. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    I am suspecting it may be the 'secure boot' provision now in new laptops that is causing it, but I do not understand how that works. I think you can disable it in UEFI settings, so I may try that.

8. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    You can create a simple recovery disk with RecoveryDrive.exe or simply searching for recovery in Windows. You seem to already have something though, but not sure why you said you can't create one.

Also look at your Manual for your Laptop, it will literally tell you how to boot from USB.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    I never said that.
    I have created one.
    In fact, the previous comments show that I have made TWO versions of the recovery--the one that Windows 8.1 allows you to make to a USB flash drive, and a recovery DVD that a Toshiba utility on the laptop allowed me to make.

What I said was that they do not boot.

I =assume= that is because I have not found the right settings to change that will allow them to boot. So far, what I have tried is making DVD the first boot-from device, but the recovery DVD still did not boot.

10. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Afaik the DVD isn't bootable at all (and not meant to be) as there is a key-combo to start the build-in Toshiba recovery environment. You should check the Toshiba site for the combo matching your laptop.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    You definitely said that ;)

This is all you need to do, it will tell you what you need to know. You told nobody what laptop you have apart from it being a Toshiba (which isn't enough) so nobody can provide you with the solution you are seeking anyway.

12. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    S55-A5176
    more words to make message long enough

13. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
  14. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    #34 jcarerra, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    (OP)
    What a friendly place we have here. Shenj, YOU are the one who said,
    "you told nobody what laptop you have apart from it being a Toshiba"

I was merely answering you, then you slam me against the wall. Not cool dude.

I am leaving here for a while to cool down.

15. wingzerois

wingzerois MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2008
    While that manual should point you in the right direction, the basic premise of Secure Boot is that only boot loaders trusted by the firmware are allowed to boot.

So by default Windows 8 / 8.1 are allowed by the firmware to boot but other things like Windows 7 or many linux distros are not able to boot on the machine without some finagling or disabling of secure boot.

16. jcarerra

jcarerra MDL Novice

Jul 1, 2014
    As an aside, this manual is nearly useless as it is written to cover a WIDE range of their products--thus it contains no information specific to a given model--like lights, ports, controls, etc. Most of it addresses how to do things in Windows, which is common to all of them.