Prevent Server From Rebooting

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by wendy123, Dec 15, 2013.

1. wendy123

wendy123 Guest

I have this odd problem with my motherboard where if left on for a few days and you reboot it hangs before it even completes POST. I have tried everything under the sun to fix it other than replacing the motherboard, the solution is to shut it off and turn it back on.

Although this is usually not a problem expect when updates are installed, I don't normally stay logged into the server so it restarts after a day or so.

Is there any GPO or registry key that I can add to prevent a reboot after updates? I would like to have the server download and install during the maintenance window just never reboot the server I would like to do this step manually when I have time. I don't want counters starting that will force the reboot.

I know previously I create a thread asking why my server wasn't rebooting but that seems to havebeen fixed with updates and now I want the opposite.

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Turn off automatic updates

3. wendy123

wendy123 Guest

Not really a solution, there must be a way to prevent the reboot.

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I've come across that reg edit before and I'm pretty sure that it only works when a user is logged in. :(

I had a remote server that would lose its network card/connection when it rebooted.
    The solution I adopted there was to set Windows Update to 'Check for updates but let me choose to download and install them' then once a week while I was there, I'd do an update and reboot if necessary.

Not the best solution, but it was workable in my case.

5. wendy123

wendy123 Guest

#6 wendy123, Dec 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    (OP)
    I thought of both solutions and was really hoping some sort of GPO to prevent the reboot. Setting windows update to "check and download" means I have to wait for the dam updates to install, the "NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers" means I have to have a user signed in 24/7 which is a pain if i forget, yes I know you can enable auto login but I really really don't want to resort to that.

few months back the server would not reboot on its own but since then MS has patched that bug. I think it was back in August.