Prevent updates from previous setup installing after factory reset?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Ruptcha, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Ruptcha

Ruptcha MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2016
    #1 Ruptcha, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
    HI all!

So this next piece of text is my first experience with Windows10, you can skip it bcause it's not the main question.

I got me an Asus t100chi tablet/laptop. And it had Win10 pre-installed. Quickly I became familiar with the aggresive update nature of this piece of S.. oftware. After a while I got frustrated Win10 updated device drivers I did not want it to. And many updates seemed persistant (ie. non-removable afterwards). And so I thought to reset the D.. Ire thing and start fresh. It is the home edition of Win10 btw.

So after the pc-reset to factory defaults I started fresh and began configuring the Sh... oftware to my liking, then restarted. Guess what. For some reason the downloaded updates from my previous Win10 setup got installed again. WHILE I purposely did not set up my wifi this time. Also before resetting To factory defaults I fdeleted my wifi-pass and disabled the wifi. Somehow Win10 either secretly downloaded patches without my consent using my wifi and pass which I disabled, or it saved the previous updates somewhere..

And here are my questions (i hope you can help):

*Where could Win10 possibly store updates from my previous setup and (how) can I remove these before I reset my PC to factory defaults again? - So it wont install the persistant updates.

*Will Win10 download and install the so called persistant critical updates (that cannot be uninstalled afterwards) even if I tell win10 my Wifi is a metered connection? -if yes how to prevent this if possible.

*I installed gpedit to reach group policy and the settings for the update feuture: set it to disable. How can I check if this works to prevent automatic updates to my tablet?

*Tell me who I need to shoot to get hours of my life back wasted on dealing with this shyt???!!

You guys (and girls) are awesome..

I got more questions, but first things first.

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    • But why do You so terribly afraid these innovations? Does it is a phobia of innovation?
    • Yes, Windows stores all updates and makes backups from the old, they are stored in differnt places, depending what computer You have, most of them are in WinSxS folder;
    • If you want to avoid them, you must completely clean the hard drive, it means wipe and reformat;
    • then re-install Windows using the included DVD, internet should not be used and etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Ruptcha

Ruptcha MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2016
    #3 Ruptcha, Jun 6, 2016
    (OP)
    1. that's anough subject matter to create a new topic alltogether with oppsing opinions, which would be totally off-topic.
    2. Tablets come pre-installed with Windows nowadays. What do you propose I do to get rid of the updates. I do have the kbxxxx numbers at hand. Would it suffice to remove from the winsxs folder like you mention then reset laptop to factory defaults. Or does MS hide updates on recovery partitions as well?
    I thought you guys knew this stuff.

Anyone else care to comment please.

4. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Which updates don't you want?

You can uninstall updates after they have been installed

5. Ruptcha

Ruptcha MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2016
    #5 Ruptcha, Jun 6, 2016
    (OP)
    I did not memorize the kb-numbers. But they could not be uninstalled.
    Can you guys please answer directly how should I proceed, to remove updates hidden somewhere on my laptop, so they will not get reinstalled after I reset to factory defaults?
    Or else this will look like tomshardware.co.uk

6. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    If you won't give KB numbers, and can't be bothered to be more specific, and tbh, are being pedantic, then work it out yourself

Absolutely no reason to not install updates, especially if you don't even know their KB or what they are for

7. Ruptcha

Ruptcha MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2016
    #7 Ruptcha, Jun 6, 2016
    (OP)
    Dude, either you know how to remove (any) updates from my system, so they wont get reinstalled after a reset to factory defaults and you tell me. Or you friggin don't. Don't play stupid childish games and make accusations and telling me updates are always mandatory. Let me decide for myself Ok? An option please? I am tired of this s**t.

It is hot, I am wasting time, and retards don't know or like to argue and give half answers. Please don't.

8. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Go back to Toms hardware silly little boy

You give half questions, won't answer simple questions, and expect full attention and replies in return

Sorry kiddo, doesn't work that way, don't let the door hit you in the 4ss on the way out ;)

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #9 PhaseDoubt, Jun 6, 2016
    Uninstall the ones you don't want. Run WU then hide all the ones you don't want to reinstall. Then every time updates are offered, you'll have to keep re-hiding the updated ones you uninstalled and hid. That's just the way it works.

Or you could go offline permanently, or you could use Linux or you could by a Mac. But no matter what, they all offer updates.

But ultimately, if you dislike the advice you came here asking for, I'm (once again) with MrMagic ... you know where the door is.

10. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    You actually Stupid enough to expect Anyone to help You with a attitude like that :confused: And Please show Me a T100chi Model Number that came with Win 10 installed

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Ruptcha

Ruptcha MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2016
    #11 Ruptcha, Jun 6, 2016
    (OP)
    FG003T. whats it to you ?

Retards like to argue than give straight answers for some odd reason. Friggin energy leechers.

Win10 does not give the option to uninstall the updates I need to uninstall. Where does Win10 hide previous downloaded updates?

12. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
  13. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I see you've figured out how to unsay things. Have you figured out how to unsee things? I've "accidentally" seen a thing or too I'd like to unsee.

--- end ---

14. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Time for a Bat Nap anyway so I'll be up for Jerry and Maury :D

15. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    If you would behave normal and show respect instead of offending people I could give you the answer but now No way :eek:

16. Ruptcha

Ruptcha MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2016
    Shuuure. You've only waited til the retards bugged the hell out of me with their autistic nerd crap. Ypu answer or you don't. Do not lie and tell bulls**t. Don't make the internet more infested with inbred crap than it is.

17. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    How about starting off the retard ridding process, by turning off your machine?

18. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #19 endbase, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  19. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    You will never get anywhere by throwing stones at those you want to help you. What you've done is walk out onto a playing field of giants and begin to pelt them with rocks. Oh you'll have some snappy comeback to that and we'll all read it and be amused, but the fact is you are now wasting your time here. But, I have to admit, I haven't laughed out loud in a while so if you have to keep up with the self flagellation, so be it. I'm out of here, I'm due at the range in an hour.