Previous BIOS versions (one before F.56) for HP Envy touchsmart 15-j005ea

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by jd42, Aug 29, 2014.

1. jd42

jd42 MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2014
    Hi there,

Tried posting over at the official HP forums but without much luck - I'm looking to roll back my BIOS to the version before F.56:

I installed the F.56 bios via Winflash on the recommendation of HP update utility and have spent the last 6 hours staring at a black screen with 2 flash error code on the Caps - Lock which trying to use the UFEI utility to create HP_TOOLS boot USB but to no avail.

Eventually managed to boot back into Windows by enabling Legacy boot in the BIOS options but I would much rather roll back to the previous bios version so I don't have to use the legacy boot option and especially as there was nothing wrong with the previous BIOS o_O

Is there an easy Winflash for the previous version or am I looking at a complicated process?

Thanks in advance!

2. jd42

jd42 MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2014
    Can anyone help me with this please? :confused:

As it stands the only way I'm able to get into Windows is by selecting Legacy boot in the bios options?

My laptop is running incredibly slugglishly and nothing like before, so I can only assume it is

a: having to use legacy boot option

b: the latest Bios

c: a combination of the above

Please can someone help me out with a copy of the old BIOS. I repeat that I cannot roll back to the previous version - there is no option to do that for me and when I try the key press method (B + win key) listed on the HP website my screen just stays black and the caps lock key blinks at me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #3 LatinMcG, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
    sounds like u need to do bios defaults or reload default bios recovery.

forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/35272-HP-Insyde-BIOS-recovery-steps

unplug power.. hold win B while plugging in power and pressing power button.
    now it should recover

legacy boot = MBR not EFI like win 8 was.

sounds like u formated disk and replaced it with win 7 MBR install. instead of win 7 x64 EFi install.

4. jd42

jd42 MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2014
    Yes good guess :) when I first received the laptop I didn't like Windows 8 so decided to try and a Windows 7 install but then changed my mind and went back to Windows 8.

Unfortunately the 'unplug power.. hold win B while plugging in power and pressing power button.' isn't working for me :confused:

Is there anything else you could suggest?

Thank you

5. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    Sometimes it is Fn+B, Fn+Esc, Win+Esc. You should hear a single short beep (I think) if you've done it correctly and there is media USB Stick available. Otherwise, I think it just beeps at you.

Others users say to enter recovery mode you'll need to remove your Battery, HD, and any media from the DVD-ROM drive while doing this.

6. jd42

jd42 MDL Novice

Aug 25, 2014
    The thing is I seem able to actually install the BIOS (its now showing up in BIOS as version F.64) - either via Windows and now I've been able to do it using a bootable USB (had to remove battery and drain power using power button) the problem is I'm still getting the error message:

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk

Hard Disk (3F0)

I've ran the diagnostic tests it suggests on the hard disk and it comes up fine but it won't let me into Windows without enabling legacy boot!

Thanks for the advice so far guys - any more ideas? HP support have been useless - they said they would send me recovery disks, despite me not having an optical drive! They've also said there is no way they can give me any earlier BIOS :confused: