Private Winten - Open Source Windows 10 privacy tool with built in Firewall

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by DavidXanatos, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    I have also systems where disabling that service does not have any consequences. It's kinda hit and miss.

2. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos MDL Senior Member

May 23, 2010
    The next build of priv10 will get a new notification window showing changed firewall rules with options to approve or deny them.
    Now the issue is having 2 popup windows one for rules and one for rules (and in future may be one for tweaks?) is not the best user experience,
    do you think its better to add tabs to the current notification window, that would look like that:

upload_2020-2-2_18-20-49.png

what do you like more a combined window or multiple windows?

3. boldrake

boldrake MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2016
    multiple windows, with separate activation to call when needed

4. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    and if we get two different events at once,
    than one window appears on top of the other, that is not great

5. boldrake

boldrake MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2016
    yes I hadn't thought of this, having 3 monitors I could recall them and position them where I want, but not all of them have much space

6. Wolfens

Wolfens MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2018
    tabs with tab expandable to accommodate the different language spelling length

7. [redacted]

[redacted] MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2019
    I like tabs in a single window, have them keep expanding then start to shrink as more and more get populated and fill the window, similar to how firefox or other browsers work, ones that haven't been touched could "blink" or "flash", be a different color, etc. to let you know that it's "new" and needs your attention.

8. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    #230 DavidXanatos, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    (OP)
    I've seen that happening but cant reproduce it right now, there must be some trick to it :/

9. Mr. MacT

Mr. MacT MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2018
    @DavidXanatos Choose normal view or full height and try resize. Same happens with me too with both viewmodes.

10. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    I have only observed one mode of failure, when the windows is loaded without a value for the splitter, i.e. [GUI] FirewallProgsWidth=0 than it always opens the simplified view until I move the splitter.
    but after closing the client once a proper value is stored in the in i and it does not longer happen.
    If you experience other failure modes please post your PrivateWin10.ini so I can try with it.

11. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    @CHEF-KOCH @Carlos Detweiller

I had an other idea for a useful feature, I would like to create "Control groups", that would work like that:
    instead of assigning a process a particular access (Full Acces, Blocked, etc...) you can also assign it to a Control Group and you have some ware in the GUI a Setting which group has what network access.

My use case would be that I would like to assign all the updaters (firefox, vivaldi, thunderbird, actrobat, etc) to such a group and control them together, here only allow access when I'm updating my system and keep it blocked the rest of the time.

I would add a try menu for quick access, but where do I put the remaining "Control group" options, the firewall page is quite full already,
    in an additional tab of the ribbon, not pretty....
    onto the overview page may be?

what do you think, I need some inspiration.

12. shred33

shred33 MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2011
    Do I understand correctly, when I use the option dns proxy, then one of the dns servers in that drop down menu becomes the dns that is used for that device/computer and bypassing the dns specified in the router, or is it used only as a kind of dummy for the windows OS ?
    If the first option is correct why are there only those five entries and no way to add more entries? I would prefer to use another dns, specifically one outside the u.s.

13. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    Yes.

That control should be editable. i.e. you should eb able to enter any IP you want.

14. shred33

shred33 MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2011
    Okay, so I simply enter the IP? If it all works normal afterwards then its using this one? Do I have to flushdns?
    There is no feedback in the UI, not even pressing enter works.
    That area could be improved in later versions of the app.

Another question: After windows login when I click on the priv10 symbol in the taskbar next to the clock it shows an empty connection notification window with no event in it. That seems to be a bug?
    Also the interaction with the taskbar symbol is awkward. When rightclicking it shows 'block internet' and 'quit' but on leftclick and doubleclick the process terminates and only the service is running. I think a rightclick option 'open ui' and doubleclick should also open it, at least not close it.

15. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    You must have lots of brothers, one big family.

hmm . i address every person as brother to gave respect . i always follow Gave respect & Take Respect . but some people directly state that they are not my brother means they got hurt by that word or might want to troll me . its ok as they are free to think & do anything :)