Private Winten - Open Source Windows 10 privacy tool with built in Firewall

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by DavidXanatos, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller MDL Spinning Tortoise

Dec 21, 2012
    @Disk2019 - I'm not one of them. In worst case, I'll simply ignore such a statement and move on, concentrating on the core message of the post.

@DavidXanatos - This problem: "Error 06:16:54 21.03.2020 Other Exception Exception in GetIcon: Requested range extends past the end of the array." unfortunately still exists.

2. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos MDL Senior Member

May 23, 2010
    Remind me please does it cause a crash or only a log error?

3. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    It's only a log error. The application does not crash.

4. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos MDL Senior Member

May 23, 2010
    Ok this happens i think when the tool tries to get an icon from a exe file that has none at all, I think its safe to disable this error message.
    So in the next build it wont bother you anymore.

An other thing...

Do you think its useful to ad an additional tree level being the assigned Category?

5. adric

adric MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    #245 adric, Mar 21, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    It's a cultural thing and doesn't necessarily show respect. Some people don't like being called brother, sister, babe, bro, dude, mate, etc., so it's usually best not to use any of these if you don't know the person you're talking to.

6. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    #246 Carlos Detweiller, Mar 22, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Personally, I'm only using the Tweaks part of it. Not missing anything in that part. My favorite is the automagic re-application of tweaks undone. IMO, further splitting of the tweak categories is not necessary until the sheer number of tweaks rises some more.
    What I would prefer (if not existing already) is a feature notifying of new tweaks/telemetry settings after updating. As the tweak part is "set it and forget it", I might not notice until later.

Not using the firewall part, however, there was (is?) a major annoyance with the dialog window: As processes usually try to reach the destination multiple times, an already open dialog window can get another hit for the same or another process (adding to the 1/? figures). The issue was that each time such a later hit occurred, the OK button became disabled. Annoying when you just selected the rule and have to re-select it because you cannot click OK.

The DNS part somehow never worked for me in tests. As soon as it was selected and configured, the system lost internet connection completely (due to DNS). I'm using my own system, so that's not a problem for me.