Private Winten - Open Source Windows 10 privacy tool with built in Firewall

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by DavidXanatos, Dec 23, 2018.

1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos MDL Senior Member

May 23, 2010
  2. 2cmp

2cmp MDL Junior Member

Apr 2, 2018
    It seems i messed on one off the blocks, any option to reset all and restart? Could not find that option.

3. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    to reset what exactly?

4. Windows_Addict

Windows_Addict MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2018
    Not starting.
    W10_X86_17763.107_ENT
    Code:
    F:\PrivateWin10_v0.1g>PrivateWin10.exe

F:\PrivateWin10_v0.1g>Starting...
    Trying to connect to Engine...
    Starting Engine Thread...
    Entered Engine::Run
    Initializing program list...
    Initializing app manager...
    Initializing firewall...
    Loading program list...
    Loading firewall rules...
    Loading connection log...
    Setting up IPC host...
    Starting engine timer...
    ... engine started.
    Preparing GUI...
    Your copy of this application is not activated

Unhandled Exception: System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
       at AuditPol.AuditQuerySystemPolicy(Guid pSubCategoryGuids, UInt32 PolicyCount, IntPtr& ppAuditPolicy)
       at AuditPol.GetSystemPolicy(Guid subCategoryGuid)
       at PrivateWin10.Firewall.GetAuditPol()
       at PrivateWin10.Engine.<GetAuditPol>b__12_0()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke[TResult](Func`1 callback, DispatcherPriority priority, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke[TResult](Func`1 callback)
       at PrivateWin10.Engine.GetAuditPol()
       at PrivateWin10.IPC.PipeHost.Process(RemoteCall call)
       at PrivateWin10.IPC.PipeHost.<>c__DisplayClass6_1.<AddListener>b__3()
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
       at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
       at PrivateWin10.Engine.Run()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. 2cmp

2cmp MDL Junior Member

Apr 2, 2018
    To reset all rules and restart.

6. cra3y

cra3y MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2015
  7. b0unty

b0unty MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    #28 b0unty, Feb 22, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
    hello @DavidXanatos ,
    1st of all: thank you for this really good piece of software. It is the most easy to use frontend for Windows Filtering Platform i've ever seen

is privatewin10 need to be launched with administrator rights ? or it have rights after installation of service (and normal double-click)? or no need at all ?
    sorry for my un-experimented question

best regards,
    bounty

8. YenLegion

YenLegion MDL Novice

May 17, 2018
    Does this act like Binisoft Windows Firewall Control, but with a bunch of extra features as well? Just curious if I can ditch that program for this. Looks amazing!

9. Thomas Dubreuil

Thomas Dubreuil MDL Senior Member

Aug 29, 2017
    #30 Thomas Dubreuil, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. satrianiboys

satrianiboys MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2014
    Can anybody help, what method did this tool disabled the SearchUI.exe?
    I can't seem to toggle it off after turning it on, and the description only says: Dissable Access to: c:\windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe...........

11. Flowster

Flowster MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2011
    Hi again, Is DavidXanatos still around? No post here from him in a while...

I would go as far as requesting a pull on this software, it brings messed up behavior in Windows 10 N 1809 at least... Some options set cannot be reverted back it seems or I did not understand how...
    I will have to check each single registry entries to make sure.
    I love a good challenge but this is dangerous.
    Today, coming back from work I have no net! I rebooted, rebooted the router... but only my computer has no net!
    Took a bit of time to realize that it's the firewall of this thing that all of a sudden kicked in as my AV expired today and somehow this guy took over, but I did not install the service.
    It panicked me about potential hardware issues... In the meantime troubleshooting this, someone clogged the toilet and solid! Hardware store run to get a fish, didnt work, splashed s**t everywhere in the process!!

Ok, now I can focus on this, I hope David or someone else could help with an easy way out of this software effects...!

12. satrianiboys

satrianiboys MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2014
    Yep, i got it too, and there are more actually. But i succeed reverted it manually.
    This tool is far from stable, i'm not recommending anyone to try it yet

However, I'm still haven't found yet how to revert the searchui.exe disable. I've checked the file, registry, permission and nothing.
    Beside that it's disable the search feature (as the name suggest), it also messed up pin to start and the start menu itself.

It's already a day, nobody replied yet, and i'm really feeling itch now.

13. Wolfens

Wolfens MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2018
    @satrianiboys

here is the code for cortana and search I have stripped it to only show for Win 10
    Code:

/*  
                 *  #########################################
                 *              Cortana & search
                 *  #########################################
                 */

Category searchCat = new Category("Search & Cortana");
                Categorys.Add(searchCat);

// *** Disable Cortana ***

Group cortana = new Group("Disable Cortana");
                searchCat.Add(cortana);
                cortana.Add(new Tweak("Disable Cortana", TweakType.SetGPO, WinVer.Win10)
                {
                    Path = @"SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search",
                    Name = "AllowCortana",
                    Value = 0
                });
                cortana.Add(new Tweak("Forbid the Use of Location", TweakType.SetGPO, WinVer.Win10)
                {
                    Path = @"SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search",
                    Name = "AllowSearchToUseLocation",
                    Value = 0
                });

// *** Disable Search ***

Group search = new Group("Disable Search");
                searchCat.Add(search);
                search.Add(new Tweak("Disable searchUI.exe", TweakType.BlockFile, WinVer.Win10)
                {
                    Path = @"c:\windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe"
                });
                search.Add(new Tweak("Remove Search Box", TweakType.SetGPO, WinVer.Win10)
                {
                    usrLevel = true,
                    Path = @"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search",
                    Name = "SearchboxTaskbarMode",
                    Value = 0
                });

14. satrianiboys

satrianiboys MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2014
    #36 satrianiboys, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    Thanks
    I've tried;

unblock-file -path "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe"
    get-childitem "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy" | unblock-file -confirm

on powershell but it still on disable
    I don't know what method that BlockFile code do....

======

Screw it, i'm starting fresh. Thanks to @DavidXanatos

15. Flowster

Flowster MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2011
    Yep, same here, I was actually coming to see if any updates has been posted but no it seems I will have to format this...

16. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    This is buggy. It seemed like a good firewall so I replaced Comodo with it but I had to remove it because it was crashing a lot and I didn't get any popup showing it has crashed, just noticed that the icon was gone from taskbar.

17. elgatov

elgatov MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2018
    @DavidXanatos program will crash while creating new categories, is there a fix?

18. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    I had very little time the past month sorry, but i will have some time in a week to fix some things, there are more bugs unfortunately, for example it crashes on win10 builds without the store, etc...