Private Winten - Open Source Windows 10 privacy tool with built in Firewall

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by DavidXanatos, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Wolfens

Wolfens MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2018
    @DavidXanatos still crashing on exit .NET Runtime I am on .NET 4.8 priv10 is run as admin
    Code:
    Application: PrivateWin10.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.Runtime.InteropServices.SEHException
       at <Module>._CxxThrowException(Void*, _s__ThrowInfo*)
       at <Module>.krabs.error_check_common_conditions(UInt32)
       at <Module>.krabs.details.trace_manager<krabs::trace<krabs:details::kt> >.unregister_trace(krabs.details.trace_manager<krabs::trace<krabs:details::kt> >*)
       at Microsoft.O365.Security.ETW.KernelTrace.Stop()
       at PrivateWin10.NetworkMonitor.Dispose()
       at PrivateWin10.Priv10Engine.Run()
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

2. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos MDL Senior Member

May 23, 2010
    the rule must exist for the service,its not enough if it exists for the UI.

>Backup?!
    i can add an option "backup all settings to file" and "restore ...."

> Guard Firewall rules bug
    New bug introduced in 0.71, will be fixed in the enxt build

> Wasted space for icons!
    The space sis not waisted, the ist is a tree i.e. if you merge two programs the individual programms will be shown in the list as sub items to the parent program set.

Attached Files:

3. Wolfens

Wolfens MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2018
    @DavidXanatos some further language corrections that I originally corrected
    backuped is backed up (no such word as backuped)
    Privilegs is privileges (privi(privy) legs may be something to do with a toilet)
    A entry is An entry (as in an entry in a ledger)

Attached Files:

4. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Yep, runs as service. I checked, now both things are allowed, the GUI and services, but I still get the same error. I tried to load the URL in the browser to ensure that this isn't blocked somehow, but it works in Browser but not in Priv10. I have no clue why. :(

I toggled several times between "Show all Columns" and "Disable Sorting"and now it's back to normal.

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Previously checked one blocklist and it failed because the trailing semicolon was actually part of the blocklist URL. Once removed, the blocklist showed in the browser.

On slower machines, I get several errors "Exception in RemoteExec: Pipe broke!". Maybe the timeouts are too low for slow machines.
    Furthermore, on the slow machines, many Tweaks fail to apply on the first time (or even second, third). Especially noticeable if you apply many tweaks at once (groups or even categories). Tons of warnings appear in the log ("Tweak [...] is not applied!"). The slider complains about "Tweak undone", while in reality it simply took too long (or didn't retry often enough).
    While the whole subject might not be as bad for applying Tweaks for the first time (it's rather an inconvenience as they eventually succeed), it will be very important that automatic operation (re-applying Tweaks that got reset by MS) works reliably, as I won't be able to supervise it, continually.

6. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    Do you have a high CPU usage or only pipe broken issues?
    do all types of tweaks fail or only certain types?
    The issue that a GPO tweak does sometimes not take should have been fixed y few builds ago with a auto retry,
    run the tool from a console/terminal window and tell me if you get log lines like "Retrying gpo.Save() ...." when the tweaks fail.

7. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    Could you please look into the connection log of the priv10 service entry and check if there are connection atempts made and if the log says allowed or if it says blocked?

8. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
  9. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    you double clicked on the tray icon to fast, give some time to start up fully, i saw that issue it appears random but always when tyring to maximize the window before its ready.
    i wil fix that for the next build...
    but why do you have a crash in line 519
    the issue is at lien 600,
    do you have the latest build?

10. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    PWX 0.72 test (I like refer to your app as PWX aka Private Win X, sorry for that). Used the shown group as it has a nice, beefy amount of 17 tweaks included. When toggling, nearly always, some tweaks are NOT applied.

First, the log it dumps to a calling command line. As you see, it usually also fails to start and stop the service. :(

Code:
    C:\Program Files\PrivateWin10>PrivateWin10.exe

C:\Program Files\PrivateWin10>Config Directory: C:\ProgramData\PrivateWin10
    Log: PrivateWin10 Process Started, Mode Normal.
    Trying to connect to Engine...
    Log: Exception in RemoteExec: Pipe Broke!
    Trying to start service...
    Failed to start service...
    Log: TweakManager loaded 183 entries
    Starting Engine Thread...
    Engine Thread Running
    Loading program list...
    Log: ProgramList loaded 150 entries
    Starting firewall monitor...
    Starting firewall guard...
    Initializing app manager...
    Loading Windows Firewall rules...
    Assigning Firewall rules...
    Starting Process Monitor...
    Starting Network Monitor...
    Setting up IPC host...
    Private Win10 Engine started.
    Starting engine timer...
    ... engine started.
    Log: Exception in RemoteExec: Pipe Broke!
    Your copy of this application is not activated
    Settign View Mode: NormalView
    UpdateProgramList took: 10085ms
    TestAllTweaks took: 12767ms
    Retrying gpo.Save() (1)
    Retrying gpo.Save() (2)
    Retrying gpo.Save() (3)
    Retrying gpo.Save() (1)
    Retrying gpo.Save() (2)
    Retrying gpo.Save() (3)
    Retrying gpo.Save() (1)
    Retrying gpo.Save() (2)
    Retrying gpo.Save() (3)
    Log: Tweak Don't Let Apps Access AccountInfo from Lockdown Apps is not applied!
    Log: Tweak Don't Let Apps Access Calendar from Lockdown Apps is not applied!

screenshot_test_pwx.jpg

Edit, the old error was from 0.71. But it occurs with 0.72, too.
    Problem, it gives no indication at all when it is ready. Could you make the icon show only after it is ready? Should have no influence on fast machines.

11. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    @Carlos Detweiller

I had similar experience a while back. Make sure you kill priv10.exe and (if running) the service, restart the whole app (but be careful it might remove your blocklist exceptions, so make a backup first!). Priv10 might need admin rights, depending from where you start it and depending on the options you choosed to go with.

@DavidXanatos

About TweakGuard, I was thinking a little bit to improve the situation. Maybe you could give us an "master toggle" to enable/disable all tweaks for a specific group in this example MS Office. Such a button for each group might be useful, because I often see that some tweaks are "half applied", which basically means that if you used another "tweak" software or GPO param, that some "tweak groups" are not "fully" enabled/disabled (you see registry 4/1 are applied). I guess that will improve the user experience a lot because then people can quickly apply/re-apply all tweaks for the entire categories like e.g. MS Office.

12. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    If you double click a category at the left, you get asked if you want to enable all tweaks in that category. However, there is no clear indicator that (or if) all tweaks have actually applied.

13. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    you mean to make the very left column look line the middle column with a toggle button?

14. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
  15. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    How should be the case handled when some of the tweaks in the groupe are not set to be applyed when the category gets double clicked,
    yes there are those, the meaning of double click is aply all recomended tweaks from category, not just apply all.
    A switch here that does nto switch everythign on would be a bit strange or would it be ok?

16. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008