Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ThomasMann, Feb 18, 2018.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device

Pretty regularly I get this pop up, when trying to disconnect an external HDD from my desktop computer (win 7 ulti)

The taskmgr shows correctly that no application is still running on the computer, yet, when clicking on the icon in the taskbar I get that pop up telling me:

“Windows can’t stop your “generic volume” device because a program is still using it”

2. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
  3. Dolnor

Dolnor MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2018
    A friend had this issue. He was running Steam games that were installed on the external drive. But he forgot to shut down the Steam client before trying to Eject the drive via Explorer. Had the same issue with another friend who would use a system monitoring program (sensors) that ran off the external drive...and couldn't understand why it wouldn't just shut down any running program on that drive if Eject was envoked..and he refused to change his habits! LOL

TQQdles™

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #4 Joe C, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    Sometimes your antivirus/anti-malware software is scanning the drive, you can check the Task Manager and see if anything is running from your pc that might be trying to access the drive or something from the drive trying to access your pc, Almost always if you have an open file from the drive in another window you'll get that error too

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    yes that's what people usually do to get rid of that message but sometimes even that is not enough and you keep having that error message for unknown reason.

6. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Problem is that USB-HDDs are usually not configured for Fast Removal, means the Write Cache option is enabled. Go to Properties of the Drive, then Hardware Tab and chose the drive in the list and click the 'Properties' button. In opening window click the 'Change Settings' button an go to the 'Guidelines' tab to check whether it's set to Fast Removal or if the Write Cache is enabled. In case of the latter it will refuse any Fast Removal attempts.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. rayburns

rayburns MDL Novice

Jun 21, 2016
    This message will often occur even if nothing is accessing the external drive and fast removal is checked. It's a random problem in Win 7 and previous Windows OS, but not apparently an issue in 8.1 and 10.

I've run into this multiple times. Process Explorer and Resource Monitor will show that the drive is not being accessed, but when I attempt to eject Windows tries to write the Master File Table and log files, causing the drive to appear "in use" and preventing safe ejection.

The safest solution is to reboot your computer (make sure external drive is not #1 for boot priority in BIOS) then safely eject a few minutes after logging into Windows. If you don't want to reboot you can open disk management and set the drive to "offline", but I do not know if that can cause other issues (you will need to set the drive to "online" next time you plug it in).

8. parrish

parrish MDL Junior Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Yes, I've had this issue as well; however, for me, if I reboot, I can then safely remove the usb drive normally...

9. Mohammadwasi7861

Mohammadwasi7861 MDL Junior Member

Feb 14, 2015
    My suggestion is just log out windows and try to remove it. if not work use third party app they are good to solve this kind of issues.

10. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    When that happens to me, I close all instances of WIndows Explorer and that usually solves it.