Problem installing Vista/Win 7 from USB stick

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rasputinuk, Aug 21, 2009.

1. rasputinuk

rasputinuk MDL Member

May 21, 2007
    Hi Gys,

I have a problem installing Vista/Windows 7 from my USB stick, I can boot the USB stick but I get this error;

File: \BCD\BCD
    Staus: 0xc000000e
    Info: An error occured while attemting to read the boot configuration data

I've tried all the known methods of getting the USB stick to boot.
    I have a PC-DL Deluxe board by Asus. I have two LG SATA DVD/CD rewriters these are on the Intel 5CH controllers and a 200GB SATA hd on the Promise controller.

My USB stick is always configured as drive c: until the OS is installed. I think this is where the problem lies, since the HD is'nt seen until the promise drivers are installed. funnily, if I boot of the DVD and browse to the USB stick for the promise drivers the installation will continue from the USB stick.

My question is; is there any way I can configure the USB stick to appear like a CD/DVD to the system? I know the U3 drives appear as a CD but you can't boot from them... :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bogstandard

bogstandard MDL Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. luxury54

luxury54 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2009
    #3 luxury54, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  4. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    #4 Mr Jinje, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
    try use a copy of grldr on root your USB stick, tell me if that helps. I use it on my stick, otherwise I get "Non-System Disk Error" when booting "PNY attache" stick. If it doesn't work tell me, I can't remember if I am using a BartPE grldr, or the version from Vista Loader.

If it don't work just delete the file from USB stick, no harm no foul

5. In2it

In2it MDL Novice

Nov 13, 2007
    Simplest way to install Win 7 from USB is as follows (haven't tried yet but it is reported to work)
    - Open the image of Vista/Win7 with UltraISO
    - Under BOOTABLE tab choose WRITE DISK IMAGE
    - Choose your USB stick under "Disk Drive"
    - Choose a method (It's recommended to use USB-HDD+)
    - Press Write
    - Make sure to change your BOOT order in BIOS to boot from your USB drive first

6. evilsperm

evilsperm MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2008
    #6 evilsperm, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
    installing from USB is stupid easy and here ate the only spes that need to be done:

1) Format your usb stick (NTFS Quick Format is fine)

2) Use any app you like to extract your windows 7 iso or just mount it with magic iso or power iso

3) Copy the entire contents of the windows 7 iso to the USB Flash drive

4) After all of the contents of the iso are on your USB Flash Drive go to command prompt (start menu, run, CMD) and hit enter

5) type f: and hit enter (assuming F: is your Flash Drive) once your at the command prompt for your USB Flash drive type cd boot now you should be at F:\boot

6) Now that your at F:\Boot\ type bootsect /nt60 f: and hit enter, when its done you now have a fully bootable windows 7 USB Flash Drive.

7) Now plug in your newly created windows 7 Flash drive and select your motherboard to boot from that device first and POOF fully bootable windows 7 Install Flash Drive.