Problem with backing up and restoring Windows 7 activation from a downgraded installation.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lukaszgo1, Jan 16, 2018.

1. lukaszgo1

lukaszgo1 MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2016
    Hi all,

I have a computer with Windows 8.1 Pro preinstalled. I’ve performed a downgrade to Windows 7 Pro and activated it with Microsoft via phone. I’m always creating activation backup to simplify future reinstallations. On this computer the backed up activation don’t work after reinstalling Windows and restoring it. I’m performing the following steps:

- From activated Windows 7 I copy the tokens.dat file from c:\Windows\ ServiceProfiles\ NetworkService\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Software Protection Platform and i also retrieve product key from the registry.

- - after Windows reinstallation I stopped the sppsvc service replaced tokens.dat started sppsvxc again and replaced product key with slmgr -ipk.

This method worked for me on many different machines and only computer on which it didn’t work is this with downgraded installation.

- I suspect, that in this case activation is somehow different and something more needs to be backed up to restore it.

- Any help will be appreciated.

- Thanks