Problem with my wifi card detection.

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Nyatar, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Nyatar

Nyatar MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    #1 Nyatar, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
    Hello, i have a compaq presario 103LA, i buy it used. The problem is that the atheros AR5BXB63 is not detected by the system, even from its start, the button of wifi remains red and then, into xp the system is not capable of detect it, so i can't install the drivers or whatever i want to do with the wireless network.

I dissasemble the card but nothing seems be bad, i don't know what to do in this case. ¿Can you help me? I tried to see if i can fix it from the bios, but it seems to don't show the advanced settings, so there i can't do nothing. (The bios is phoenix F.3E)

Thank for your answers, good bye.

2. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    I think your notebook wasn't make for XP. Did you checked if it worked with Vista?
    Have you tried to manually install the drivers even if it wasn't detected?

3. keithfer15

keithfer15 MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2009
    i was having a lot of problem with my wifi card in my sony vaio, it was inbuilt and now i use a dongle, the warranty was over too

4. potpotjeng

potpotjeng MDL Novice

May 29, 2009
    Some notebooks have on and off switch for built in wifi,please see to it that it is switched on.

5. Nyatar

Nyatar MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    Well, i know the switch thing :p
    I try to install the hardware through the control panel. When I reboot the lap, the system recognize the card and i use the wireless for a while, but after a day, it disappear again.
    Maybe i make a mistake, because at first time i don't know exactly what model i have, and i install two/three drivers of differents cards. I guess that maybe that is the problem.
    Now I'm thinking in a dongle too. ;)

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #6 911medic, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. spiderman_pink

spiderman_pink MDL Member

Jul 1, 2009
    i don't think its a driver issue. from my experience, i've faced alot of these problems especially on a hp tx1000. symptoms are the same; the wireless appears intermittently. sometimes its there, most of the time its no. tried different wireless cards to no avail.

when sent back to HP, they said its a motherboard problem. there was once i had to change motherboards for 3 times. the third time, so far looks ok. but touch wood..

8. Nyatar

Nyatar MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2009
    I realize that hp is not the best laptop manufacturer ;)

Well, in this moment i'm connected through the wifi. When i turn on the lap, it automatically recognize the wifi card, it ask me for drivers, and i install everything. Now i hope it keep itself like this, in the next start. If it dissapears again, well, i guess that it is a problem of the mb.

Thank you for all your responses, good bye.