Problem with new flash drive

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by seadrift, Nov 8, 2008.

1. seadrift

seadrift MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2008
    #1 seadrift, Nov 8, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
    I have a desktop running XP home and a laptop running Vista Home Premium.
    I also have a 1 gig Kingston Flash drive which runs perfectly in both machines.
    I have just bought a Sandisk Cruzer 8 Gig flash drive which works as it should in the desktop and:
    when I insert it into the Vista laptop for the first time it is recognized by the machine / it is assigned a drive letter / and appears in Explorer. It also appears in device manager and in the computer management console all as it should - but:
    when I remove it and reinsert it it no longer appears in Explorer/it no longer appears in device manager/ but it can be seen in computer management but with no drive letter assigned.
    Trying to assign a drive letter in computer management I get told that the Computer Management Console is not up to date and needs to be refreshed but refreshing makes no difference. Checking the properties of the entry (with no drive letter) in computer management also tells me that the device is working properly and that the drivers are up to date.

Any ideas where the problem may be please?

Forgot to add that booting the laptop with the flash drive pre-installed works OK and a drive letter is assigned as it should.

2. ph03n!x

ph03n!x MDL Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Weird - ummm... different USB ports?