problem with new install activation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by quasitnt, Aug 15, 2010.

1. quasitnt

quasitnt MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2009
    Ok. Let me start by saying I have done this a couple of times with no big issues, but that is not to say I am any kind of expert. Both were with Toshiba's that required a bios upgrade to get win7 to activate.

I now have a Gateway P6860FX I got second hand. It had a Phoenix bios with a 2.0 slic. I installed Win 7 (correct version) with the Daz loader. I then decided to go the full route after finding an upgraded bios and I upgraded the bios to 2.1. I upgraded to 29.31 which is slic 2.1 verified. I used gparted to wipe out the partition and then reinstalled Win7. I used the opatool to install the cetificate and the key. I used the Gateway certificate and the ultimate key. Now I am unactivated with 30 days pending. What do I need to look for? Have I possibly installed an incorrect certificate? Where do I find this to verify the proper certificate? Any help is appreciated...

2. quasitnt

quasitnt MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2009
    Thanks for the response. I just now figured it out. Using the Slic toolkit I realized I entered the wrong certificate. After reinstalling the correct certificate all seems to be well. I guess just reinstalling over the old one is OK as it seems to have worked...

3. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #4 FreeStyler, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
    I don't know what the **** you are talking about
    1st) You have not said a word about which SLIC is modded into your new bios, how are we supposed to help?
    2nd) there is NO Gateway Certificate for SLP 2.1 activation, so whatever you installed, I'm 100% sure it ain't a Gateway certificate

4. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Calm down... He figured it out...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Yes i know :) It just...it just is very hard sometimes, as the same questions pop up here on a daily basis without supplying proper details about activation hacks/loaders used. People just do something without proper knowledge of exactly what they are doing. Sometimes i wish we could back to the beginning, when this forum just kicked off, only people with the right interest and decent knowlegde were active here... the good old days ;)

6. quasitnt

quasitnt MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2009
    sorry I upset you and I thought I was somewhat clear about the type of question I was asking . I guess I wasn't. I did figure it out and I was aware there is no Gateway certificate but made a mistake and entered the wrong one. I usually try and figure these things out for myself, and I was just asked a general question, not asking for specific technical help.