Problems with Folder view settings and file association in Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by recond9, Dec 24, 2013.

1. recond9

recond9 MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2013
    My Windows 8.1 64 bit started forgetting the view settings from a folder.So if I go in a folder and I set it to List-View for example,whenever I close that folder and I reopen it the view is set automatically to Details view.And this applies to every folder in my computer except Desktop.It drives me crazy,especially in my pictures folders.

Also with this problem another one came.I can't set a program to open some files,so the file associations for some files is broken.For example i can't set qTorrent to open torrent files.It just won't open them and the files apear as white documents just like I hadn't had a Torrent program installed already.I find it weird that both problems appeared together.
    I previously had to reinstall windows on my machine,because of this problems.It worked normal at the begging,but today these problems appeared again.
    I tried scanning SFC Scan with no result.
    I hope I will get a fix here.
    Thanks.

2. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    You can fix the torrent problem launching the application as administrator (right click) and setting it as default program for torrents/magnets, the other one may be caused by CCleaner, check its settings.

3. recond9

recond9 MDL Novice

Dec 24, 2013
    Hey thanks for the reply ,but I got a fix for everything.Apparently the problem is in the registry.
    So If the problem began recently, I can try this to fix it like this :

1. Press +R to show the Run box, type RSTRUI and press enter.
    2. Choose a recent date and time from before the problem beginning (such as the day before yesterday) and click Next.
    3. The system will restore registry settings from that day, and restart.

If you do this however,all the programs you had installed after the restore point date will be DELETED,so be sure to backup things.Hope this will help someone someday. :biggrin5: