product & backup plan query.

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by smallhagrid, Sep 14, 2013.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    This is a query is about backing up XP as both a full image & snapshots for rolling back.

Background:
    I am presently recovering from a h/w failure and had to install a 2nd box which was already operable, but not complete.

The previous box had XP and for backup on that I used Faststone Driveclone 5 (despite it's age and limitations) and it worked very acceptably for all desired features; both for images and snapshots on & off the PC's HDD.

Now that it is time to re-install I am taking another look at what seems as good.

These are the ones I am considering:

Driveclone 5 (again);
    Keriver 1-Click;
    FirstDefense-ISR (yes, I still have it...);
    Drive Snapshot;
    ShadowProtect.

My goals in this effort:

To have a full image backup on a separate HDD as well as a fully cloned system kept on standby in case of HDD failure.

Snapshots kept on the in-use HDD (but hidden) for use in the event that roll-back is needed for any reason.

At least one pre-boot option to restore snapshots.

The ability to use alternate boot media to restore fully if needed.

There is only one serious complication=>
    Besides the NTFS system partition it also has a FAT16 partition with a minimal OS as well as BartPE as a boot option.
    (This PC does not have Linux on it.)

As a result of the multi-booting scenario I have ruled out the following:
    EAZ-FIX;
    Lazesoft products;
    Comodo Time Machine.

I did consider the new AX64 and a few others (Acronis, Paragon, etc...) but found that those already mentioned are closest in features and are either ones I already have or consider affordable.

Using them in tandem is also a consideration.

I seek opinions as well as suggestions for which of these things coexist well together based upon actual experiences from fellow XP users here.

Thanks !!!

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Acronis TrueImage, I have used it since it first came out, you will always get negative reports doesn't mater what some people are program you use .

3. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #3 smallhagrid, Sep 15, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
    (OP)
    Have it - but don't use it anymore, thanks.

The best disaster protection strategy from what I can tell involves having enough approaches to effect quick recovery=> NO MATTER how bad the problem.

Here is what I've worked out as being the needed approaches:

- A pre-boot option to restore a perfect snapshot;
    - Alternative boot media to restore a perfect snapshot;
    - A totally separate image of the critical partition(s) restorable from outside the damaged OS;
    - Hidden storage for the snapshots to keep them 'clean';
    - A local copy of the perfect image for use if the OS gets buggy/broken.
    - The abilities to create & update these snapshots & images quickly & conveniently from the OS in use.

And=>
    If those don't cover it then it's time to hose the entire PC and start fresh.

All that I listed above can be done in under an hour using 2 of the programs that I mentioned in my OP, a flash drive and by making a single CD.

Looks like I have covered what I need after asking around and getting no helpful info, I worked out the details for myself and did what was needed last night before bed - all set now, thanks.