Product Key linked to a Microsoft account

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by TabascoJoe, Feb 3, 2013.

1. TabascoJoe

TabascoJoe MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    When you use your MS account on Windows 8 is there any linking with the product key used. Can a key be traced back to the MS account connected to that install?

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I don't think so. Since I can log on to any Win8 installation with a single live.com account and it will load my settings. I've logged on at a couple different retail stores as well. If it were to link to the account, I would have about 20 system keys linked to my one account lol

3. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    Same here i have 2 pc's running win8 with different product keys I can log in with my MS account on both even at the same time

4. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Could WAT theoretically see what Microsoft account you're signed in with? Sure it could, but I don't know if it does. That brings up a good point too, because if it does log such information then Microsoft has detailed information about who's pirating their OS.

The serials shouldn't get tied to a Microsoft account, but Microsoft may keep information for a period of time about what systems you've logged onto with your accounts.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. NABAKUMAR

NABAKUMAR MDL Member

Sep 10, 2012
    I have switched from Local Account to Microsoft Account a long time back...Still facing no problems.

I am using Windows 8 Pro activated by KMS and then WMC Upgrade.

I think Microsoft knows who all are genuine users and users like me... Microsoft sends 3 E-mails if one's local account is switched to Microsoft Account congratulating you for using Windows 8...

So all this time i had been downloading apps from store and using Metro applications....But on 29th January i got an E-mail from Microsoft to buy Windows 8 Pro because offer is valid till 31st January ....

My question is why would they send and e-mail to an existing customer?

So i think it is clear that they knew who have genuinely purchased keys and activated and those who have it done by KMS,WMC Upgrade or by Phone.

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    According to an investigator of the BSA, MS allow, or better didn't force punishment if the same Windows OS version with the same Product Key is used on 3 computers if they: 1 Home, 1 Office and 1 Laptop Computer because under "normal" circumstances one could/would use one computer only at the same time. If thyose are Business computers and using for the produce income for an company, MS force the punishment!

That MS is known how many times the same Product Key were used for activation and that the used computers are either the same or different, is a fact. If the BSA is investigating offenders, they come with very correct details of what they're looking for! I know that from investigating in my company which were happen three times in the last 5 years. Once I had to pay fine THB 450,000.00 (app. US$ 12,000.00) in 2010, not for Windows but Office 2010 running on 5 computers in the office, all activated used the same PD!
    Since I'm really carefully what is and has to be done regarding software used in my company!

And if you guy's check your systems and special what is send out to the Net, you may would be surprised! There is an really good "sniffing" tool available for to trace all connections: NS-Auditor. Those apps will show you any sigle package send and received, how many connections are going on to the Internet and, and, and!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I used W8 from early builds until present.An email was received from MS that told me they known about this since I have the same Windows Live account.I bought the license via upgrade offer and I think that is possible for MS to link some details together,like activation and keys used..:eek: