? Program Manager hangs upon shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Beetlejuice7979, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Beetlejuice7979

Beetlejuice7979 MDL Junior Member

Mar 22, 2020
    Hi. I'm trying to do some troubleshooting.

Since upgrading to Windows 10 Pro from Home on new my Lenovo laptop with Nvidia drivers, I noticed at random times Program Manager hangs for a few seconds upon shutdown. I searched the registry and dlls for that name plus services too, but I was not able to find the file.

After reinstalling Windows Pro again and running minimal applications but also running MS Office 2016/2019 with KMS activation, the shutdown issue appears randomly. I used Process Hacker too.

The apps I have installed are HD Sentinel. CPUID HW Monitor, VueScan, CCleaner, Foxit Business PDF, Revo Uninstaller, 7Zip, Winrar, Treesize Free, Firefox, Chrome, Windows Media Player Classic from K-Lite Codec pack, a VPN client, and Universal Viewer Pro. I should add I don't have this issue with my Windows 7 build (no KMS installed).

This is annoying and difficult to recreate especially since Program Manager is like a ghost that appears at random times during the shutdown or restart process.

I'm just trying to exclude KMS as the possible culprit here.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks

2. alexxf

alexxf MDL Addicted

Feb 9, 2008
    #2 alexxf, Jul 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    This behavior is mostly caused by a background process. Look for culprits on app like HD Sentinel, antivirus or drivers.

3. Beetlejuice7979

Mar 22, 2020
    I agree it's a background process. Do you think HD Sentinel is the culprit? I have not installed any new hardware drivers. Only the drivers that come from Lenovo's factory image.

I have Windows Defender disabled. I never had this occurring on W8 or W7? KMS wouldn't be doing this?

My workaround is using Process Hacker and then "logging off" then my Windows login screen shows up and I Power off from there. PH kills whatever is running, but it is considerably more time-consuming.

4. freddie-o

freddie-o MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Not sure if this will help.
    Anyways I added this script to my right click context menu

List and Kill Non-responding Tasks
    Code:
    @echo off
    tasklist /fi "status eq not responding"
    echo.
    taskkill /f /fi "status eq not responding"
    echo.
    timeout 3

You can change "timeout 3" to "pause"

5. chillgates

chillgates MDL Senior Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Try "autoruns" in admin mode from "sysinternals" package, find and delete non useful startup apps. Look at services too for useless entries and delete them. Yes some bad drivers also slow down shutdown process. Uninstall drivers in safe mode and downgrade and see if it is the issue. Clean registry with ccleaner once. Do not allow browsers run in background. Try to switch off vpn / uninstall it totally and see.

6. Beetlejuice7979

Mar 22, 2020
    Thanks, I will do that!

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have many start-up apps running now and I have disabled the non-useful apps. The first thing I did is disable background browsers. I hate it that this is on by default. There are no differences. The same with services. I don't have any optional drivers aside from the native Windows drivers and the one's Lenovo installed as part of their own update package which is just the NVIDIA update. It was an optional update but I installed it anyway. It's really odd because I don't have this issue with W7 or W8...and I have more drivers and apps installed there than I do with my Lenovo laptop.

I'll keep the above in mind when I transition to Windows 11 later this year or next whenever W11 is no longer in beta.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    What's about that VPN-Client? Did that run all time? If yes, disable the autostart and run it only if needed!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...