Project 10to7 (slimming down / debloating windows 10)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RanCorX2, Feb 20, 2018.

1. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #221 RanCorX2, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
    (OP)
    ^ bit of difference between metro and high contrast themes, metro is plain, minimalist, boring, high contrast is ugly, looks like what hackers set their screens too when you see them on a tv show, black / grey with green & yellow text....i personally can't stand high contrast or fonts large, i like standard theme on standard dpi, and if possible classic theme. easy on the eye suff.

i've edited all my batches to point to nsudo now.

creating batches to remove stuff from winsxs atm.

finally found 100% working network tray combination that doesn't require any reg editing, resulting with w8 flyout as default and all 4 methods for accessing the flyout work.
    (previous combination to get w8 flyout by default didn't work fully, explorer kept crashing when putting in wifi pass)

2. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    OP - ignore the haters. When I first came here to MDL I really only wanted 1thing: store for Windows LTSB (now known as LTSC). God, the hate I received for even suggesting such a thing was surprising and originally no one would even point me in the right direction or help at all (originally). When I finally did get the project going (with some help), people claimed no one would want such a thing. Today if you anonymously Google search, "Windows LTSB Store" or "Windows LTSC Store" that little project which everyone said was a waste of time and no one would want... Is 2nd only to Microsoft in search results on Google and is comparable in views as some of the KMS Activation threads here.

My point being, keep on doing your thing. Ignore the haters. While what you may be doing isn't for everyone (nothing ever is), there could still be a demand and in the end, its what you do that will give you a sense of accomplishment.

3. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    ^ exactly, I didn't think the stuff i've managed to remove, could be removed or that old stuff could be restored (some things can't) but some can :)

i started off messing with vlite, nlite, winreducer, ntlite, msmg toolkit etc, but the latter (winreducer, ntlite and msmg toolkit) did not do what I wanted to acomplish on windows post 7, to actually strip away the metro stuff, or as much as possible and still have a working os to use. ntlite had the core metro stuff greyed out as not removable. boooo! I didn't bother much with trying to slim down xp, vista or 7 as to me they didn't seem bloated. I just disabled services, tasks and some other stuff.

yeah, i know this isn't for everyone, but as you say, there are users out there who are interested, as with all things.

The thing i'm heading toward is a pre windows 8.x feel / look for windows 10.

things I already use;

windows 10 x64 rs3 1709

windows 7 aero style from da + ultrauxthemepatcher
    oldnewexplorer
    disable immersive wide menus reg tweak (as well as countless other reg tweaks)
    startisback for the taskbar menu feature
    open with enhanced
    free launch bar for quick launch
    classic menu for office 2016

firefox with some ui adjustments for a IE vibe as i like to have browser look familiar, not a fan of all the modern ui's seeping into every program.

media player classic be because i've always used media player. not a fan of zoom, pot, vlc etc (most have way too many features / settings) i just want a player that does video and audio and nothing else. + LAV codecs.

processhacker to keep an eye on running services etc.

4. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    downloading rs4 to see what's new and can be removed.

5. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    ms removing more stuff in rs4....

game explorer has been removed, i managed to restore it though with some rs3 files.
    mspaint has a warning in the toolbar saying it'll soon be moved to the windows store.

i managed to update my project to work with rs4, batches didn't need much tweaking.

i'll probably stay on rs3 for now.

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^
    hmm sorry for my good friend, but if you follow the path of M $ FT you may have gone crazy because you are forgetting the new way for M $ FT to work as a service(WAAS) and in the same "train" will never be definititive or to be clearer, always will be an eternal beta as Linux distributions are just my 2 cents; still don't forget I'm with you in this project dude ;):)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #227 RanCorX2, May 20, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2018
    (OP)
  8. fLOW.

fLOW. MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I did it for you. No problem :)

9. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #229 RanCorX2, May 21, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    (OP)
    Thanks man, I contacted the webmaster, now I can't login, keeps saying "That username does not exist." even though i can access my profile from the main page as it says i'm the latest registered user.

couldn't login from phone browser either...annoying website

edit, was me being dumb, was trying to login with username when i was supposed to use email...duhhhhhhhh

got new lens recently, still adjusting my eyes...:oops:

regarding this project....
    decided to return to windows 10 threshold because;

analog clock in tray - check
    full display settings + cpl - check
    windows 8 style winx menu - check
    less modern features / compoents - check
    dx12 - check

I can't be arsed to keep up with the upgrade build bs, it was much better with the old system where they just did smaller hofixes only. All the insider nonsense is just a beta test that never ends, even the so called final builds suck.

So i urged anyone interested and on TH1, stick with it, save some time and don't keep upgrading, you ain't missing anything. You'll still have dx12 for gaming.
    When i finish the project it'll just apply to TH1 as there's still some stuff to remove!

(ok, i'm pondering going back but haven't yet) i refuse to let an explore refreshing every few seconds put me off....damn you rs4!! i will find the cause. seriously though, this is putting me off upgrading anymore, ms keep adding more bloat and removing old features...grrr

10. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    panic over....have defeated redstone 4...can continue project. a registry removal was causing explorer to restart every 20-ish seconds have now removed that from my batches. was doing me head in, couldn't work out what i broke to cause it.

there's not too many new files to add to my removal batches though, should be done pretty quick for rs4 support, then hopefully project release.

11. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    ^^I never used homegroup even on win 7,to me the usual right click folder sharing advanced option seems much better.

12. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    ^ me neither, but someone might use it.

13. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    I know it's taking a while, just trying to get things in order and to make sure ALL removals work without breaking vital stuff, such as;

windows setup / ability to upgrade
    standard lock screen
    lock screen network flyout

currently modifying project files for use with rs4, while still usable on rs3, but i think below rs3 should be avoided.

Thanks for patience for those interested.

14. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #235 RanCorX2, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
    (OP)
    rs4 needs a minor file replacement of some setup files or upgrade fails on install that has previously had appx / staterepository removed.

rs4 upgrade install requires appx service and staterepository service to be installed and running or when it reached 100% on the purple screen setup closes and a little box is displayed saying "wndows 10 installation has failed".

first i tried all removals but left appx installed, install failed.
    then i tried all removals with appx and staterepo installed, install failed.
    finally tried all removals with appx, staterepo and appmodel still installed, install went through fine.

a fresh install saving no apps, settings worked fine from within windows with all stuff removed, only upgrade install failed.

then i had a look on the setup logs and found something referencing appx deployment server and errors.
    i then looked on the installation media (in my case an iso) and found the following;

under \sources\replacementmanifests

there is a folder called "microsoft-windows-appx-deployment-server" containing;

appxprovisioning.xml & appxupgrademigrationplugin.dll

under \sources\replacementmanifests

there is files appxalluserstore-replacement.man & appxdeploymentserver-replacement.man

I replaced the folder and the files with ones from rs3 16299 and then removed appx, staterepo and appmodel from exisiting vm install and ran the upgrade again and it now works again like it did on rs3.

if i had found that solution, it would mean i'd have to leave out a big chunk of removals and i didn't want to do that.

long story short, if running slimmed rs3 install and then upgrade to rs4 it'll now work, after upgrade you just run the removal batches again and your good till rs5.

I'll be including the rs3 files and instructions so anyone can prepare their iso, usb install media before upgrading from a slimmed rs3. (when project is available)
    if you are already on rs4 then you will need to remember to replace the files on future builds or risk upgrades not getting past first screen.

hope you guys understood all that.

i can now get back to work on the project...

15. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    behold....it now has a basic gui that acts as an autorun app for use on a usb stick etc.

autorun.jpg

project files have been consolodated into less batches, all the buttons you see do all the work. (when i've finished system folder removals, there will be less buttons for renaming files, at the moment i have 6 in total, 3 for system32 and 3 for syswow64 as i've been splitting lists to do a bit at a time.)

first release coming soon.

16. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Looks good. What are the differences between Registered and Unregistered, is there a cost involved?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    if you mean the red text message, that's just because the program i used to make the menu was a demo, only allows creation of a one page menu on the trial version, don't want to spend $39 just to make a quick menu :)

18. lewcass

lewcass MDL Senior Member

Mar 10, 2018
    Ahh. ok. Thanks :)

19. YOUNEEDTOLOGINTOVIEWTHIS

YOUNEEDTOLOGINTOVIEWTHIS MDL Junior Member

Feb 18, 2018
    Hey I just saw this project and I'd like to try it in a vm... can someone bring me up to speed?

It looks cool but there's no download links in OP and all of OP's posts after that just say "removed." so trying to figure out what's going on over 12 pages is impossible