Project 10to7 (slimming down / debloating windows 10)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RanCorX2, Feb 20, 2018.

1. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    got a side project atm, slimming down firefox. removed half the files from the program folder and lots of stuff from the omni.ja files.

not sure if it's making a difference yet, still testing.

i removed a lot of the devtools components and various telemetry files. still have a basic working element inspector (i only use the first tab to get domains to block in my hosts file) don't use any of the other tabs as i'm not a developer.

2. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    ^ shame they don't listen to feedback though.....i think they only listen to users who actually like the new junk.

3. WildKid

WildKid MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2011
    A user going by the name of RanCorX2 on MSN claims that he's working on a batch file based alternative to NTlite on this forum.

But he gives no link.

Sorry about the no hyperlink thing. It says that I need at least 5 posts to make a link.

Any ideas what he's talking about?

4. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #325 RanCorX2, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    (OP)
    current screenshots attached.

red bar hides autoplay menu designer trial message (don't really want to buy it atm)
    does not affect built executable menu, no expiration.

i know i've said i'm close to a release a few times, had to resolved a few issues, tidy things up and add some more stuff and then comment out various bits in the batches to get rid of the errors.

all included 3rd party freeware gets installed via batch and i used regshot to export all the reg entries so these get added by nsudo using trusted installer. nsudo does most of the work in the whole project.

included will be a credits.txt that will list all authors of 3rd party freeware that's included
    (for convenience, to avoid searching for downloading and then cluttering up program files with a load of small apps, this also reduces the work, you the user has to do when doing a clean install of windows)

3rd party software will be found in two new folder c:\windows\ system33 & syswow65
    to keep everything tidy, 64bit stuff in system33 and 32bit in syswow65.
    readme's, eula's and other documents will be stored under the windows help folder under a third party folder to again keep folders tidy, any help files coded in the apps as link will be in the same folder as the app.

i also been chatting with the creator of winxshell online @ the oven forums. he's made some nice changes and additions to the shell and it now works quite well on a non pe install (still can't move icons on desktop, can only arrange). the shell will now be included in the project as an alternative to using open-shell menu. still got to add it to the gui menu as an option.

currently still slimming down os after upgrading it to rs5 on vm. (lots of new files but only one new service that i can see atm.) few more tasks, so these will be deleted aswell.

ok, that's it for now.

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      67.1 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      174.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      69.2 KB
      Views:
  5. WildKid

WildKid MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2011
    #326 WildKid, Oct 11, 2018
    Does that mean you're very close (like a couple days to weeks) away from release?

Your first post was last updated in August, which states "real soon" and it's already October. :rolleyes:

In my mind, "real soon" means "within 1-2 months"

I would happily be a beta tester, if you're looking for beta testers. :D

You could always release an interim version minus the RS5 support...

6. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #327 RanCorX2, Oct 11, 2018
    (OP)
    i'm going by valve time.

j/k, i do have things to do in real life and that kinda gets priority atm, i spend time on this whenever i have time. slimming down windows isn't easy, stuff breaks all the time, takes a while to find the causes.

i'm already using it on my main pc and it's working nicely, stuff works as expected, been a few weeks now, however it's an old version now, as i've just today done all the latest changes and additions. if i don't get distracted, i should have something to share by the weekend.

I have six desktop computers with different specs / hardware, two laptops and a tablet as my testing systems.

7. WildKid

WildKid MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2011
    Do explorer.exe, taskhostw, and sihost.exe display the infamous "Unknown Hard Error" message on startup, shutdown, logoff, and logon?

8. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    nope, no hard errors, had lots when i was testing, kept getting them when i was removing files connected to sihost.

9. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #330 RanCorX2, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    (OP)
    it appears the mouse drag bug still exists on rs4, they fixed it happening on other apps (7zip) but on startup control panel, when I drag a selection round deleted items my cursor jumps to the bottom right of the screen, i then loaded the tablacus rs3 bug fix executable and the problem vanished.

just to reproduce the bug, i closed the bug fix and tried selection drag on startup cpl and it did the same cursor bug...so much for ms fixing it..

10. WildKid

WildKid MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2011
    Then include the program that fixes it when you release it. BTW, what is the name of said program and where can one download it?

11. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    it will be included but i only just discovered the bug still exists. I see someone has posted a link which will be helpful for others. ^

12. WildKid

WildKid MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2011
    #334 WildKid, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    Will it be released before the end of the year, or if not, before rs6 is released?

13. catsmoke

catsmoke MDL Novice

Feb 9, 2018
    I've used NTLite a lot, for several years, and I've had the same problem: Removing the wrong combination of non-critical things results in unsuccessful installation attempts, or else an early irremediable critical failure.

And it is very hard to predict what combinations will leave you with an image which will install successfully, and then also continue to function well enough to meet all your needs.

I love many things about NTLite—especially its end results.* But when I'm engaged in a cycle of troubleshooting my custom builds, re-imaging, re-installing, and so forth, then that is a frustrating period of time.

*And I have to say that its creator has always been accessible, reasonable, and open to working with others in order to improve his utility. When I've turned to him for technical support, my problems have seemed to weigh upon his heart just as they were weighing upon mine.

14. WildKid

WildKid MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2011
  15. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #337 RanCorX2, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    (OP)
    The main con with ntlite is the price for the software, you only get 1 year of updates or "premium" features as the author calls them and then you have to pay more for a renewal, each year of new "premium" features.

The activation system sucks, when i briefly tried the program, i saved my license and tried to use it on my other pc as i move between machines a lot and of course it asked me to re-activate and i only had a limited amount before i had to contact the author. The backup activation simply doesn't work (at least when i tried it) it kept asking me to re-activate which just pissed me off after a few attempts...

Thus, i opted for a refund and dug out bold fortunes guides online and started slimming down windows for free.

home license 40 euro = £38
    pro license 90 euro = £79
    business license 250 euro = £221

+ yearly renewal
    + license upgrade home > pro etc

very expensive for just removing components, applying updates, making image / iso.

winreducer is worse as the licenses are only valid for X amount of months, even more of a ripoff. stay clear of software that advertises stuff as "premium" or "vip".

16. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    try install_wim_tweak.exe :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    i use install_wim_tweak as my last stage of removals as cleanup, that's optional as packages change with each new windows 10 build as ms keep merging, renaming, adding etc. on rs5 there's certain packages that can't be removed now afaik. my batches do nothing for them.

so manually is the best option to start with, takes time but is worth the effort.

also, check this out ... because why not :p another feature restored, offline help...for those that miss it.

upload_2018-10-25_12-46-5.png

help icon no longer opens browser, opens old style help ui.

18. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    unfortunately is the truth, with each new version things get more complicated to "tinker, modify, delete" ;):(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...