Project 10to7 (slimming down / debloating windows 10)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RanCorX2, Feb 20, 2018.

1. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #341 RanCorX2, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    (OP)
    that's why i have package removals as optional last step for my removals as some work, some don't.

i now have taskbar item closing by right click restored, got in touch with creator of free app "taskbow" that currently crashes on windows 10 builds, got him to fix lots of bugs, he emailed me several versions to test and now it works nicely.

added t-clock for calendar support.

created explorer and winxshell menu settings for classic shell / open shell menu.

will be included in project wheneveritsdone release.

will be something to share before christmas, just got a lot of family stuff going on right now. i try and do a few hours of this each day, just trying to get it ready for long term use.

i hate spending ages setting stuff up when i do a fresh install, this helps in regards to that as all the tools i require are now in place with a few clicks.

hopefully others will find it convenient as well, and no it won't clutter up your system folders or desktop with lots of new icons, that'll be left to you, the users.

making sure stuff is organised and named occordingly

2. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    still alive and working on this, just in case anyone still cares ;)

found a few more issues and fixed them. rls as soon as possible.

3. caxhatq

caxhatq MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2015
    I care because i have never seen someone really try to strip windows of its junk on this deep level. Good luck.

4. Freedom First!

Freedom First! MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2009
    Same here. I tried 10 when it first came out, but went back to 7 due to networking issues and all the extra garbage added. I'm looking forward to what you're able to accomplish with this project!

5. nytjbsefv

nytjbsefv MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2018
    also here waiting :)

6. ZModdder

ZModdder MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2018
    Same here. Curious how this will work on 1809 & then 1903. Would love to have a quick streamlined OS with the latest updates. Thanks RanCorX2 for putting your time and skills into this project.

7. asache

asache MDL Junior Member

Apr 11, 2008
    waiting as well. with the new feature sandbox i think ill try it. didnt decided yet. Still on beloved 8.1

8. WildKid

WildKid MDL Novice

Dec 6, 2011
    Any update?

9. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
  10. asache

asache MDL Junior Member

Apr 11, 2008
    any news?

11. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    @RanCorX2
    Can u publish or guide how to add the old comps back to cp like display and what is missing in 1809 rs5
    So settings could be disable or metro core infracture
    Thx

12. asache

asache MDL Junior Member

Apr 11, 2008
  13. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018

Then again in 6 months, then 6 months after that and 6 months after that,,,,,,,,

14. asache

asache MDL Junior Member

Apr 11, 2008
    dosent matter as long as dosent bring new features like sandboxie and gsync on freesync monitors.

or you are a fanboy/sassy girl and you update for a set of wallpapers ;)

15. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #355 RanCorX2, Mar 5, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    (OP)
    microsoft haven't removed anything more from control panel in rs5 that i noticed nor have they in 19h1 builds.

if you want to see files required for restore some cpl's they will be in;

:\Project10to7\5_Feature_Restoration\FileRepository\Sources\Windows\System32 & SysWOW64

when up for download.

The project has now changed somewhat, mainly as a way for me to quickly add back all the software i use and might need after a fresh install.

The removals part is now 100% seperated from restoration of features, infact the restoration part is 100% optional but toally recommended as you get back a working volume tray and network tray due those moved to the newer basic gui.

Taskbow restores taskbar item closing feature (had to email back and forth with creator as the one of the website doesn't work properly on windows 10, he compiled me a fixed version)
    free launch bar adds more simple to enable quick launch
    t-clock restores calendar popup
    open shell menu restores windows 7 start menu, modified to closest layout / look i could do of the old start menu, includes start button
    oldnewexplorer tweaked for windows 7 look
    switcheroo adds a more classic alt+tab

only tray feature missing is clock, still on the hunt for a replacement.

in regards to the project, support for TH1 through to RS5 is now final as it can be, with major issues solved, too many to list.

so expect an upload soon, but due to ongoing family issues it'll be whenever you next see a reply to this thread by me. i know i've said coming soon for what seems like ages, real life has taken priority for last few months and i've don a bit on this whenever i could.

see attachment for optional apps gui.

notes regarding pale moon browser and thunderbird;

both will be current build
    thunderbird has been customized to ressemble outlook's layout (not skinned)
    pale moon has been customized to ressemble IE11 with a skin and it's kitted out with the following addons and scripts;

see attachments. with all that, browser idles @ 500mb, eat that other browsers.

will include my personal filter list for ublock, iridium, google hit hider, youtube channel / user blocker/hider which are all extensive and make browsing much less annoying and safer.

youtube is customized by iridium to remove as much annoying content as possible.
    as i'm in the uk, the following sites have been filtered for adverts and useless distracting content;

bbc, ch5, ch4, itv, sky, virgin, ebay, amazon and many other sites.
    also a few international sites

and updated hosts file will be part of the package too with thousands of dodgy sites blocked

of course all those can be disabled or removed but for me it's become my favourite browser as i was using IE for so long and hated Edge and didn't like Opera or Chrome due to the basic UI and lack of sidebar and poor customization, plus firefox is not what it used to be now that all the old addons are useless and they keep killing customization with each new update...f'in had enough of crap browsers not allowing me to use them how i want to. PM is moving forward with the times but keeping customization and addon support. Proof that New is not always better.

i've named and renamed files to match what they do or are replacing so i can easily remember
    what the heck they are and also for nostalgic reasons and a little ocd etc.

now the restored stuff is 100% seperate from 3rd party addons and stored in a tidy folder structure.

basically stuff is sorted, lots of copy pasting etc, very basic stuff all around, simple yet it works.

signing off for now...boop beep

Attached Files:

16. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Uhhh...hosts file, seriously :g:?

Hosts file above 100kb seriously hurting performance isn't a secret since years and that fact didn't change (especially when using 127.0.0.1 instead of 0.0.0.0).

Besides that a lot of Windows functions are able to override the hosts with hard-coded white-lists.

Better to either use Firewall or reroute via Systems IP Routing tables to send to localhost :thinking:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    does it reduce the handles that explorer.exe using ?

18. ThatRadioGuy

ThatRadioGuy MDL Novice

May 6, 2017
    Or look up the DNS solution, PiHole is an implementation of it, but it should work with any Linux machine or fancy modem...

19. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    stil here, almost ready to share the most complete version of this, but due to real life "family drama" with a story worthy of being in one of those horrid soap operas, it has taken longer than i wanted...

been testing removals on several builds of 19H1 and all good so far, added a few more useful apps and tools.

now includes 30+ optional programs with can be installed without normal installation which get put in their own special folder(s) for a tidy file system.

the goal of the optional apps part of the project is decrease time from fresh install to workable pc as you can can litterally click a load of buttons which install whatever programs you might require without the hassle of installers.

I will also include my autorun menu designer project file (for v5 of the said program) so you can add your own programs or remove some.
    the downside of the trail version is you are limited to two pages for the gui, i may just purchase the full version at some point but so far two pages have been enough for me.