Project Spartan: Windows 10 New Browser in the Making

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Hadron-Curious, Jan 25, 2015.

1. gabrielmorrow

gabrielmorrow MDL Member

Jul 5, 2013
    they shouldnt there diffrent browsers

2. ODY123

ODY123 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2011
    Right now, Project Spartan is not that much for use(from version 10014), it doesn't have anything good in settings. I think Google Chrome is the best as far as extensions concern.

3. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    Project Spartan is just the same IE Modern version of Windows 8.x, with some small changes in the skin and few new options, all the rest is the same, also it still lacks of options compared vs the IE Desktop version.

4. PGHammer

PGHammer MDL Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    IE Modern is sandboxed by design and default - IE desktop is only both on Windows Server 2008 and later. (And even there it is griped about BECAUSE it is.)
    I'm throwing this Spartanized build into VMware Player, since Spartan is the only thing I am testing in it.

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Is anybody testing Project Spartan on this forum? Please, report your findings.

6. Jazz

Jazz MDL Senior Member

Jun 7, 2014
    on Build 10014?
    there is no interesting feature here. most features are not active like developer tools, download view(but we can still download a file), etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #48 Hadron-Curious, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    (OP)
    Spartan seems to be more responsive than Google Chrome on my system. I don't know if anybody is having the same experience. It blows out IE out of the water.

2015-04-02_19-52-33.png

8. SNaRe

SNaRe MDL Senior Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Although Spartan or any browser that MS invents were the last browser on the earth, I wouldn't use any of them.

The mistrust that they have created in years are unrepairiable.

9. Mobocratic Asylum

Mobocratic Asylum MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Spartan was fine at first but after several boots over few days Spartan started to crash right after clicking its icon. Click again. Crash. Again. Same result. It's now useless and this is in 10049. :g:

10. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    so much for project spartan....it a total bust:(

11. Patrykvdmeulen

Patrykvdmeulen MDL Junior Member

Apr 27, 2011
    I've suspect better!

HTML 5 score 337 :(
    Sunspider higer ms :(

Whats going on :/

12. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    Just out of curiosity (and because I got some spare time), I installed 10049 and checked out Spartan after all...

I suspect this is a pretty stripped-down version of it, many features don't seem to be enabled just yet. But what actually bothers me more is that even providing just very basic functionality, it is pretty unstable. So far I had crashes on startup, when I tried to type in the address bar, and on maximize/restore, so entering a page address or maximizing the window only works with some luck (at least for me).

With a single page open, the MDL forums for example, task manager shows about 12 megs of memory being used but careful - there are three Spartan-named background processes running as well that add another 100 megs. But I wouldn't give too much about memory consumption, it's a common misconception that less memory always means better performance, it's more important that the algorithms are optimized (cache-misses are expensive and sometimes using more memory can be a solution). Performance-wise, I don't feel there is much difference between IE and Spartan right now.

What else? It doesn't support InPrivate browsing and cannot be run in multiple instances - I hope this is just for now. If not, I really hope they provide a public API to reuse the Edge engine in your own applications. Someone ought to build a better shell around it than that.

13. moritaka

moritaka MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2015
    add Google Search engine into Spartan, download .reg here: wincore.ru :biggrin:

14. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Could you believe I didn't experience any of the issues you pointed out? I really like the local search system incorporated into it.

15. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #57 Hadron-Curious, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
    (OP)
    That is really uncalled for. It is me who has it. It is not to show off but to show that Spartan annotate works. I think some people know the system I am using here as we often talk about configurations when having problems with installation.

EDIT: I thought you were talking about the image I posted earlier. My apologies.

16. Mobocratic Asylum

Mobocratic Asylum MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    #58 Mobocratic Asylum, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    I just discovered why Spartan crashed right after clicking its icon. I have Comodo Internet Security on, but Windows Firewall was OFF. So I turned it ON. Now Spartan is working great.

EDIT: I have two problems with Spartan -- You can't use its own "pen" to draw something on a face paused in Youtube video. So I tried to import a picture into Spartan. No go. Impossible.

Any tips?

17. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Thank you for the solution to the Spartan crashes.

If you were able to use your finger to annotate then you can use your pen as well. Maybe that is a bug and you would have to put that on the Microsoft Feedback.

18. hunganh

hunganh MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2015
    From few information available, it can do what the old Internet Explorer couldn't do in recent times, that includes moving from browser to doing things as earlier highlighted.