pulling my hair out trying to connect to an XP share

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by piercekalton, Dec 6, 2013.

1. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    3 drives in XP machine

sharing 2 of the drives, works fine

trying to share a folder on C:\ in exactly the same way (as far as I can tell) and it is a no go

I cannot access this folder from this Windows 8 machine or my other Windows 7 machine, although I could access it from my old Windows 7 machine. I have absolutely no idea what I am doing wrong

2. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Rule one on sharing anything with XP (and Windows without ActiveDirectory) is: The worgroup-name has to be exactly the same!
    Rule two: Does the user accessing the folder has the appropiate rights to at least read? When in doubt give the "user" everybody every usage right.
    Rule three: Have you restarted the XP-Machine and the system accessing to the share? I'm everytime suprised that a simple restart kills most of the problems in this area.

other Points to consider:
    • some folders on C:\ aren't advicable to share. The whole C:\ outside C:\users (or C:\DocumentSetting or how the userfolder was titled in XP) shouldn't be shared. More security pains then any gain worth doing it.
    • using an old XP-System as a FileShareServer in a HomeNetwork was and will never be a good Idea. XP isn't made for handling a Server-usage in general and particularly a FileShareServer.
    • using an over 12 year old OS like XP! :busted_red: (no comment further because using XP nowerdays should be a criminal ofense of neglicance usage of a PC in my opinion!)
    • using many different OS accross your network is realy painful to work with. Also if you find a Vista floating around in your network you will need many new curse-words for articulating your anger with.

I think you should look into the posibility to dedicate one PC as a Server and setting up an ActiveDirectory-Domain. Makes many networking things much more easier. Once a PC is joined to an AD-Domain every settings you make in the group-policies gets replicated to every PC. Alone the task of keeping all your systems updated gets very easy to do in an AD-Domain. Setup a WSUS-Server and a few Windows-Update-Group-Policies and your server downloads once an update and all your systems get there updates from your WSUS-Server. User-logins and -data gets syncronised on all of your Systems.

Since Widows 8 you have also the hypervisor Hyper-V which you can activate and virtulize (almost) any OS you want. With Hyper-V you can easyly play around with a Windows Server.

Another cool feature of the Windows 8 era you want to look into is StorageSpaces. With it you don't have to bother with small HDDs you have flying around. Only plug it in and StorageSpaces uses it space on every (virtual) drive without beeing limited to it's capacity only.

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    From Programs and Features, maybe enable that SAMBA/CIFS 1.0 legacy option (not sure on the exact name)? Not too sure if this is specific only for 8.1, or if it also applies to 8 too.

4. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    I replaced faulty hard drive and added 256x4 identical ram to this pentium 4 HT 2.6 ghz system. runs windows 7 fine. I will probably look into active directory and the other features you mentioned. goodbye XP finally. currently have 3x Windows 7 systems and 1x Windows 8.1 system.