Purpose of an RODC?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Myrrh, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Read Only Domain Controller (RODC) - I thought the purpose was for a remote location to be able to handle logons and other Active Directory stuff instead of having to constantly communicate with the primary location.

Based on this understanding, I built an RODC at my work location for the domain running at my home, in theory this would make things smoother with my (home) domain connected Surface Pro devices when I carry them to work. There is a VPN connection between the two networks.

In real-world practice, however, my home Internet was down this morning. I had all kinds of problems doing things that normally work. I could not even login directly on the RODC because "no logon servers are available" - all resolved itself when the home Internet, and therefore the VPN, came back online.

What exactly is the point of an RODC, if it is supposed to handle such a situation then obviously I have something configured wrong. Where to start looking?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #2 LiteOS, Sep 10, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    yea its look something about the configuration

maybe its still connect to DC and not the RODC

maybe in services and sites need to be configured