Putting a Windows 7 install with Windows 8 files

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ryouga, Jul 31, 2017.

1. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Not quite the normal one, so I got a clean disc installed drivers, updates and silent installs to image and compressed to ESD, then realised the disc I ripped from was always Win 7 so didn't have 8 sources folder.

This means when I install I get a error as its looking for wim.

Im just wondering what I need to keep if I rip my 8.1 disc in terms of silent installs in case of error, I know of course to copy across the silent install folder to same location on 8.1 disc but what about reg entries?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Just replace the install.wim/esd from the 8.1 iso with the install.esd you made, it works but is considered homebrew :)

Why don't you put all inside the wim/esd?

3. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    But would that preserve the silent installs I added (I used wintoolkit) as it added a folder to root with the installs.

4. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    since you mentionned silent install, that means that you created an autounattend.xm file and you have made sure that partitions are created without you having to intervene manually to create them according to what you set in that autounattend.xml file, is it correct ?

if so, i suppose that your silent install does not concern machine's name step and timezone step.
    you will have to enter the name of the machine and timezone as well during the installation, both of these steps will have to be done manually, correct ?

5. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    No, Wintoolkit doesn't seem to do this and relies on registry entries in the image I think.

I manually select/delete partitions in Windows setup.

I assume it will be ok then.

6. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    ok but you created autounatted file using wintoolkit to do silent install , right ?

and what about machine's name window and timezone window that usually appear during the installation ? did you enter machine's name and choose timezone manually as well ?

7. ryouga

ryouga MDL Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Doesn't seem to happen with wintoolkit, from past experience when I check registry after install theres a wintoolkit entry which lists the post install things.

I still have to select language, keyboard format, computer name and such after.