[Q:] Is it possible to extract already integrated package from WIM

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by moderate, Nov 27, 2014.

1. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Hmmm... :)
    For that reason I am not a programmer. :)
    Could I help you anyhow to revise the script?
    Is there any option, how to debug that? I mean like download that WinRT80 4GB ISO, extract cs-cz-LP and and watch memory requirements in some system monitor? Or could the script put the values to (swap) file on the hdd instead keeping them in memory?

2. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #22 SuperBubble, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
    I'm not completely convinced there is. The Windows Scripting Host, like all interpreted language runtimes, is basically a virtual machine. At some point, you're spending more of your time working around the limitations of the environment than actually producing useful, working code.

My script, due to the way it works, I think is at that point: it's flaws likely are surmountable, but the best long-term solution is probably to throw the script away, and re-implement the whole thing in native code.

Bonus edit: Which escapes the limitations of WSH. It also means that the functionality of SxSExpand and CABArc could be rolled into the (single) executable. Bottom line: less dependencies := GOOD THING. :thumbsup:

Does anyone want to do it for me? I'll be your fwiend. :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #23 moderate, Nov 30, 2014
    (OP)
    I got it, thanks.

BTW: I have heard (in HotFix thread), that there is another compression method for some part of Windows storage. (I don't remember however, where exactly it is applied.)
    I have asked in that thread, if your SxSExpand needs update, somebody has replied, that it is only used for files outside WinSxS.
    Have you heard about this too?

4. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #25 KNARZ, Nov 30, 2014
    About cab files. I tried cabarc and makecab and maybe some additional (microsoft) cab tool.
    I never was able to create the cab as expected. - If you try to open a regular KB cab you will see one xml and numeric-named files. - Indeed this is just a detail but maybe someone has some idea how we may can create such structure. with the mentioned tools you will have plain textnames and this of course is different. - Unfortunalty also big packages (okay the biggest - the whole edition itself) will fail to create as cab. All Tools crashed.

5. SuperBubble

SuperBubble MDL Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #27 SuperBubble, Dec 1, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...